Monday, August 28, 2006

Nuckin' Futz

The other day, a friend of mine sent me a link to an article about how some 'anonymous' (AKA coward) fucktard had written in to British media regulator Ofcom, to complain that they were offended by 2 episodes of Tom & Jerry shown on Boomerang (a subsidiary Turner Broadcasting/Time Warner Inc.) that contained scenes that "glamorized smoking."

In response, Ofcom has decided to edit any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation. Adding "These are historic cartoons, they were made well over 50 years ago in a different time and different place," she added. "Our audience is children and we don't want to be irresponsible."

As I write this post right now, I have a throbbing headache. I can't even BEGIN to go into just how retarded this is. This is exactly why I refuse to purchase the American-released versions of the classic Tom & Jerry DVD volumes. Instead, I bought a boxset from Japan that is unedited and contains the original character of Mammy Two-Shoes, instead of the thinner, caucasion version which replaced her. Personally, I liked Mammy Two-Shoes and I'm more than a little tired of being perceived as liking such things as un-PC. Fuckin' ridiculous! What's next? Will the soon-to-be-released Dick Tracy Animated Series be editing out the Jo Jitsu and Go-Go Gomez characters entirely? Gimme a break already with the bleeding hearts!

So, as a gay man, should I be boycotting Three's Company, episodes of Sanford & Son, scenes from Ace Ventura Pet Detective and Boat Trip? Shouldn't we be re-editing Breakfast at Tiffany's to make sure no "Asian-Americans" are psychologically scarred by Mickey Rooney's racist portrayal of Holly Golightly's cranky landlord? What about all those movies from the 40's and 50's where caucasion actors/actresses portrayed characters of another race, like Dragon Seed, starring Katharine Hepburn? What about Peter Seller's portrayal of Inspector Sidney Wang (an homage to the character of Charlie Chan, originally portrayed by actor Warner Oland, an actor os Swedish origins!) in Neil Simon's Murder By Death? OUTRAGEOUS! Call my lawyer! I want reparations!

So, I figure why stop at smoking? Let's look at the other agendas Tom & Jerry cartoons appear be promoting:


I don't know about you, but my delicate sensibilities are being overloaded with FILTH! I have to go lie down now, I'm getting the vapors. Feel free to be enraged during my absence. And get that cat and mouse some PANTS! Even the Kool-Aid Man had the decency to finally put some pants on!

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave2 said...

I would have just replaced the offensive smokable objects with CGI walkie-talkies. If it was good enough for E.T. then it should certainly be good enough for Tom and Jerry!

Monday, August 28, 2006 1:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post! we talked abt this one too, over at www.liftwhileclimbing.wordpress.com

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole thing is just gimpalicious. You're right -- just how far are we going to take this.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

I'm the only one I know (besides my mom) who has seen murder by death! Props!

It is getting pretty pathetic. The future is going to wind up with a bunch of freaks who can't defend themselves because their parents removed anything offensive from their lives. Their cartoons people. I loved your clips, that's awesome!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Maven said...

Love those other agendas:)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:10:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Dave2-
LMAO! No shit! Don't even get me started on that bullshit! Thank God Spielberg had the decency to offer both versions on the DVD, otherwise it wouldn't grace my DVD shelf. SO fuckin' retarded!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Keeley-
Thanks! Viva le Tom & Jerry!

LOUP-
Amen to that. I feel deja vu of the Dan Quayle years all over again. Ech!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Mon-
Thank you!

Oh man, you need to get new friends! LOL! I love that movie! Have you seen The Cheap Detective, too? Oh man, if you haven't, you just gotta! A lot of the same cast and also another Neil Simon (written by) movie!

And you are so right, the future generation is gonna be a bunch of eXtreme, energy drink drinking pussies and/or simpletons (it may already be too late for some of them, judging from their grammar skills).

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Nuggetmaven-
I'm glad you liked the clips I chose. There was pretty much something potentially "offensive" in every episode. LOL!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger livewithrealme said...

You had me rolling! Your collage of Tom and Jerry evil-doings is downright hilarious.

Thanks for the laugh, from a mom who lets her 3 year-old kid actually watch Tom and Jerry... she likes it!

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Livewithrealme-
Aw shucks, thanks! T'wern't nuthin'. To be honest, it was hard to stop at just 12! If you look hard enough, you find ANYTHING you want. Those uptight people need an enema.

I'm glad you liked the post. I'm always glad when something I write about makes someone laugh. It's the highest form of compliment in my book. And good for you! Your kid will be the one NOT derfing around, lurking in the shadows, for fear that the sky is falling...yet again.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Friday, September 08, 2006 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.