Friday, August 25, 2006

Upcoming DVD Releases

Here's a short, but sweet, list of upcoming DVD releases that I just found out about.


Pretty in Pink: Everything's Ducky Edition (Aug. 29)
Shock Treatment (Sept. 5)
Comments: Woo hoo! The 'critically-acclaimed' (i.e. people were HIGHLY critical of) "sequel" to The Rocky Horror Picture Show is finally being released to DVD! Personally, I really enjoyed this surreal, underrated movie, complete with original characters Brad & Janet Majors (even if played by new people). Jessica Harper (Janet Majors) had just done Dario Argento's surreal Suspiria just 4 years previous, so she was no stranger to the bizarro world. Fun, fun movie. Check it out if you get the chance.
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut (Sept. 12)
Hard Candy (Sept. 19)
Grease: Rockin' Rydell Edition (Sept. 19)
Body Double: Special Edition (Oct. 3)
Marie Antoinette (Oct. 10)
Comments: Wouldn't you know it?! I just bought this movie on VHS 2 weeks ago, along with The Divorcee. I just love Norma Shearer.
Rest Stop (Oct. 17)
Comments: I read the synopsis for this movie and it sounds promising, though it sounds an AWFUL LOT like Kurt Russell's 1997 movie Breakdown. Plus, it doesn't hurt that hunky Joey (Call me 'Joe') Lawrence plays the sheriff. I somehow doubt he gets shirtless, but here's hopin'!
An American Haunting (Oct. 24)
Nacho Libre (Oct. 24)
Forbidden Planet (Nov. 14)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Collection: Volume 10 (Aug. 29)
Comments: Movies in this volume will include...
* Godzilla Vs. Megalon
* Swamp Diamonds (Plus Short: What to Do On a Date)
* Teen-age Strangler (Plus Short: Is This Love?)
* The Giant Spider Invasion
Dick Tracy: The Complete Animated Series (Sept. 26)
Comments: I LOVED this cartoon series! Though it originated in the late 60's, I became a fan of it while I was in junior college and the series made it's 1990 debut to VHS (I still have the poster {shown} around here somewhere). Personally, I like the old VHS poster (red) better than the new craptacular cover art they came up with (yellow). I am SO happy to see these cartoons finallycoming to DVD! They have a great look and style to them that you just don't see anymore in this world of computer-generated cartoons.
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Comments: Though a release date has not been released, creator Craig McCracken said that the series is slated to begin being released in seasons, starting sometime next year.
Beverly Hills 90210: Season 1 (Nov. 7)
Comments: Though I never really got into the whole BH90210 phenomena, I did think Brian Austin Green was cute (even though he was a total dumbass on the show) and liked Tori Spelling when nobody else did (does).

Some other noteworthy titles coming soon to DVD, that aren't shown here, include:
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - Volume 2 (Oct. 10)
Police Squad! The Complete Series (Nov. 7)
Family Guy Vol. 4 (Nov. 14)
Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy (Nov. 14)

3 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I sincerely wanted to like Sofia's Marie Antoinette, but the best thing I can say after seeing it in July is that it is extremely odd, but not in any entertaining way .. she seems to be mostly fixated on the mating rituals of French royalty, and one hour of Jason Schwartzman not able to have sex with Kirsten Dunst (wtf?) was just too much for me .. however, a special of Pretty in Pink? I'm there!

Friday, August 25, 2006 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I can't wait for Shock Treatment; you know what a Rocky Horror fan I am!!!!!! I've had the ST for years but could never find the movie.

Saturday, August 26, 2006 7:33:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Reel Fanatic-
You know, I saw the trailer for her (re: Sofia's) new movie some time ago and was digging the music...then I saw the imagery and it just was sooo outta sync. It was like she was trying too hard to be "avant gard." Plus, Kirsten Dunst just doesn't do it for me. Something about her bothers me. I think it's her face. LOL!

But yeah, one of my friends has since bought the Pretty in Pink DVD and said it was well-worth the price. Lotsa featurettes with Molly Ringwald, Annie Potts, etc. According to him, apparently Andrew McCarthy was working on a play after shooting the movie, where he'd lost a lot of weight and shaved his head, THEN was called back to reshoot the ending (if you read the book, you know that Andie ends up with Duckie originally) and is wearing a WIG for the entire ending. LOL! I gotta go back and watch it now!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Mamacita-
I thought about you when I was blogging about that and wondered if you were one of the people who also liked Shock Treatment (the movie, not the procedure)! I know I sure did! I can't wait to see it again after all these years. Woot!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.