Thursday, August 17, 2006

Littermade

You know what I don't understand? No, besides Algebra. There seems to be one constant on these reality shows like Nanny 911, Supernanny and the latest, Try My Life. Couples who churn out MULTIPLE fuckin' kids, then the wife complains about how hard it is being a stay-at-home mom. The majority of these people have multiple kids under the age of 5! WTF is that about? What, are they looking to start their own softball team? How does that make any sense? Then they wonder why they're exhausted and have no "me" time. Fuckin' DUH! Take down the 'Open 24 Hours' sign hangin' from your cockpit!! Geeeeez.

First off, before I get too far into this little rant, let me say that I'm not questioning that being a parent, especially a stay-at-home mom, is indeed WORK. Meals don't make themselves, clothes don't wash themselves, the house doesn't clean itself, groceries don't magically appear and things that most of us take for granted, like the making of doctor appointments, dentist appointments, prescription refills and such, don't just 'happen.' There's someone working behind the scenes and it's usually Mom. Cuz, let's face it, Dad usually lives in a totally fuckin' 'nother world when it comes to dealing with anything outside of lawn care, automotives and dishing out the discipline (or at least the scowl that seems to have taken the place of discipline these days).

So, with that said, can someone explain to me why so many people have multiple children, then act all put out and taken by surprise when they find out that taking care of multiple small children is a 24/7 job? Common sense would tell you that [A] If you are a new parent, get a grasp on the FIRST child and the whole child-rearing process that goes along with taking care of that child BEFORE you make the decision to have MORE children, and [B] If your one outta-control child consumes all your time NOW, is having MORE children not going to exacerbate the situation? It just baffles me how stupid people are. I have zero sympathy for these kind of people. I think it's ridiculous.

And as far as the single mom situation goes, I realize that that's a whole other ballgame. However, having a best friend who runs her own daycare, I've learned vicariously through her that all her single moms use the "But I'm a single mom" card as their mantra to defer any and all responsibility for their children being late, not fed, not dressed appropriately, etc. I think that's bullshit too. I'm sure for the responsible parents out there, be they single or otherwise, this doesn't apply. Why are the rest of us the ones expected to have some kind of epiphany and realize how 'tough' parents out there have it? None of these people had a gun to their head to breed. Birth control is an option (and I don't wanna hear the antiquated "But, I'm Catholic" rhetoric). Stop with the excuses already! It's statistically impossible for there to be that many faulty condoms out there. No one's buying it. And last, but not least, if you're morally against abortion, then DON'T GET PREGNANT. It's common sense, people! And if you do get pregnant, stop expecting everyone else to get tearful every time you make doe eyes and proclaim yourself 'exhausted.' Put up or shut up.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Standing ovation*
SING IT! I have three words for whining breeders:
Bed.
Made.
Lie.

"So, with that said, can someone explain to me why so many people have multiple children, then act all put out and taken by surprise when they find out that taking care of multiple small children is a 24/7 job?"

Because they are friggin idiots. Also, there is a conspiracy of silence around breeding. People always tell you 'oh it's so wunnnnnerfulllll..." They don't tell anyone how bad it sucks. Not that anyone with two eyes and a brain couldn't figure THAT out. But most people lack the brain part.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am starting a new religion after you!!

Rant on!

Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

very well said! I also agree with Cheryl. Misery loves company. If everyone said how bad kids sucked, no one would ever have them. So they tell you its the most beautiful thing in the world and your missing out! Missing out? On what??
Nah, I quite like my Sunday afternoon naps, to which I am very accustomed! A peaceful home, where I am the only one screaming.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having kids is great if you are not a fool trying to fill some hole within yourselves by having children. I have two kids ( that's enough...thanks ) My cousin is Mormon and has 5 kids that run wild.....gezzz....I don't see how someone can subscribe to a religion where you have so many kids AND can't drink! Seems to me the mercy of God should be serving up quite a few margaritas with all those kids!

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cheryl-
Thank you! Thank God someone else out there 'gets' it! If people choose to have kids, that's their prerogative, I've just tired of the self-induced drama over the whole situation.

Thanks for commenting! :)

LOUP-
Aw, you're so nice. :D When I write some of my posts I never know which way the wind will blow. Especially if it involves children as a subject matter. They can do no wrong these days it seems.

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it! :)

Mon-
LOL! I agree too. I think a lot of people have seen the whole 'miracle of birth' ruse for what it really is: breeding propaganda. It may be a 'magical' and moving experience for the parents but it's a real shit taco for the rest of us when their 'precious angel' goes apeshit in public places. Not adorable.

And BRAVO!! I couldn't agree with you more. I too LOVE not being tied down to some unselfish little monster, instead opting to do "radical" things like READ, eat without a schedule, make spur of the moments decisions/plans, take naps, watch movies uninterrupted and not having to child-proof my HOME. Yeah, we're really missing out aren't we? LOL! Whatever.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Anonymous-
EXACTLY! You totally hit the nail on the head! I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, there are A LOT of people out there that think there's a certain 'time' to have a baby because of other's expectations and/or they think it will fix their marriage, solve depression and/or fill the egotistical/archaic void of "carrying on the family name."

Example: My best friend from high school and her husband had a baby (this was ages ago) and no sooner was the baby 6-months old, than her shitball family (on both sides), not to mention the input of strangers and other parents, starting chiming in with "When are you going to have another one? Little Princess Mononoke (or whatever her name is) will be LONELY." Whatever! That is one of the most retarded reasons to be baited into having more children. RIDICULOUS! Needless to say, my friend exercised common sense and had already found out how draining it was to be the parent of ONE kid (much less a litter), so she made up her own mind and stood her ground. Common sense reigned!

And 'Amen!' to the whole herd mentality sans drinking. Whatever. If parents didn't drink, José Cuervo might be out of a job, and we can't have that! ;)

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! :)

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:30:00 AM  
Blogger Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

That was a very entertaining read...and I'm a single mom of twins with a "birth-control malfunction" baby on the way;> By the way, more than just condoms fail, but I doubt that's the cause of pregnancy for so many of those whining parents.

While I love being a parent (there's something very special about seeing someone learn about the world from a brand new perspective...and the smiles and giggles add a nice touch, too), I know it takes a lot out of me most days, but I complain very little. I think some of those people are just complainers in general, while others are not. Well said rant about those who can't just make the best out of their situations!

Friday, August 18, 2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger NatD said...

Exactly.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I was a single mom of one child for 10 years. It was very hard but I managed to date often with a couple of long term relationships in there but miracle of miracles - I managed not to get myself pregnant. The amazing technology of taking your birth control properly actually works! Control has be relinquished for a child to take it over. These parents with out of control kids have nobody to blame but themselves. They exercise no discipline, let the kids do whatever they want then they wonder why the kids are little shitheads. I am remarried now and my husband has told me that many of his friends have commented on what a great kid my son is. My son's teachers say the same. And that is the reward of the hard work.

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Celebrate Woo-Woo-
There's no doubt that various forms of birth control fail, hell, to be honest, I don't even know how many forms there are anymore. I'm probably dating myself by the mentioning of "the sponge." LOL! And I don't mean Spongebob. But yeah, I realize that it's possible, but like you said, I seriously doubt that that's the legitimate case in most of these cases (re: Woe-is-Me parents).

I know I'll never have children (What?! And lose my girlish figure?! heh), but, believe it or not, I do 'get' some of the merits of those people who want to be parents (and not just because "Grandma wants someone to spoil" {ech}). Thanks for taking the time to comment AND getting my point. Sometimes when I write these things I anticipate the Mommy Brigade dropping their callphone (complete with awesome ringtone to let everyone know how 'real' they're keepin' it) and rushing to lynch anything remotely anti-child. :)

Natalee-
Thank you! I guess I'm not alone on this sentiment. Thanks for commenting! :)

Anonymous-
A-men! You hit the nail on the head: "Control has be relinquished for a child to take it over." EXACTLY. And the thing that drives me the most crazy are the parents who relinquish it, then act baffled when the kid goes apeshit and ignores any and all semblances of discipline! Gee, I wonder why, what with the bribes and rewards for doing something they should be doing in the first place! Ridiculous.

And you are absolutely right, your son's well-behaved because you WORKED at it and persevered, instead of going "Gosh, this parentin' stuff is hard ya'll!" Good for you! As cynical as I am, I have no doubt in my mind that well-behaved children ARE possible, it's the parents doing their JOB that I've lost faith in.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Angie-
Oh man, don't even get me started on the kids in restaurants topic. Geeezus. I still get dirty looks from the host/hostess when I ask to be seated somewhere AWAY from children. I will literally get up and move, if I have to. No guilt.

And I had to laugh my ass off when you said "Well, some kids misbehave, but mine aren't like that." YEAH, RIGHT! Dream on, Klingon! These are the same people's kids who every time you "experience" them it's from a distance because you can HEAR them coming a block away! Oy. If only tranquilizer darts were legal.

Thank you for commenting! It's nice to know I'm not alone on this! :)

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.