Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Design Shrine


• As I see it, tissue boxes are a very underappreciated design element. I'm always fascinated by all the new designs available at different store locations. They're like little, disposable works of art. I especially like Kleenex's recent idea to change the shape of their boxes to the more interesting oval shape. VERY cool. Here are various boxes I have sitting in the pantry, waiting to be used. Their brands range from the 'big' names, like Kleenex or Puffs, but the majority of them are store brands. So many to choose from!

• A friend of mine recently sent me a nice greeting card with these Flapper buttons inside. She had brought some over about a week ago and was telling me how she wanted to make them into earrings. I initially thought they were vintage, but they're not! Very cute. Very clever. They also come in a B&W version. I think I'll probably save one and hot glue the other one to the end of a wide piece of ribbon and use it as a bookmarker.

• If you haven't seen the newly-issued DC Comics Super Heroes stamps, they are a must-have! So wonderfully colorful and Pop, I just love them. All your favorites are there: Batman, Superman, Plastic Man, Wonder Woman, The Green Lantern, Supergirl, Aquaman and MORE!

• Around this time last year, I blogged about my love of school supplies and how I still love to shop for notebooks. I practically collect them. This is the current batch that I've bought so far this year. They come from Walgreen's, Target and Office Depot. And though you can't really get the full effect in my scan, there are 2 spiral notebooks (#4 & #6) that are my favorites because they both have lenticular covers. You know, that groovy old-school material that makes the 'wikka wikka' sound when you scratch it and when tilted gives the optical illusion of movement or dimension. SO FUN! I love lenticular stuff! The new Incredible Hulk boxset has a lenticular cover and I have a small handful of lenticular postcards (yet something else I collect).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I MUST have those buttons! Where did she get them?!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

ohhh i love school supplies too! so many fun colors and patterns! i have an affinity for pens/pencils.

Also wanted to let you know I really enjoy your blog. I love all the buttons and links on the side! (I read that one post where someone was saying negative things about your site. wtf??!! clealry, they're jealous because your site is far better than anything they could come up with!) I shall return!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cheryl-
Aren't those cool?! She got them at Jo-Ann Fabrics (or you can click on the link in the post for another online store that is also selling them). Good luck! :)

Beth-
It's funny how many people have an affinity for school supplies/back-to-school shopping. And I can sooo relate to the pencils thing. I have a Muppets glass brimming with all my old cartoon character pencils from the 80's: Strawberry Shortcake, Snoopy, Garfield, Mr. T, etc. Ah, sweet memories.

Thanks a lot for all the nice compliments regarding my blog! I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I enjoy writing in it.

I like my sidebar too. It's really a way for me to have a place online to keep track of all the web sites I frequent. There are just so many places online that don't get the kind of recognition they deserve, so I'm hoping someone 'discovers' something new there, should they decide to browse the links. Lotsa great resources!

And I agree, they are soooo jealous. Oh well, maybe they'll grow up to be a big boy/girl someday. It could happen! LOL!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.