Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back to School

I love the time of year when it's time to go "back to school." For as long as I can remember, I always have. Like I've mentioned before, I LOVED school, it was the people I could have lived without.

One of the main factors that lead to my love of back to school is shopping for school supplies. I loved shopping for the "must-have" school supplies, to be the envy of all my classmates: the pencils with cartoon characters on them, the folders with the coolest images, the notebook paper, etc. And even though I have been out of school for many years now, I still enjoy browsing the school supplies section of the local Target or Walgreen's, just to see what they have. There's almost always something cool to buy. My personal affinity is for folders and notebooks. I'm not sure how healthy it is, but I have multiple, blank notebooks stashed away here at home. I like to think of them as "backups" should I get inspired to write something "brilliant" in them and/or just in case this whole blog thing ends up falling to the wayside.

*( All items are from Target, with the exception of the Napoleon Dynamite spiral notebook, which is from Walgreen's )

I also love the lunchboxes, or should I say used to. A few years ago there was a return, a resurgence, if you will, of the metal lunchbox. I remember seeing them at Eckerd's and going gaga over them. I bought a Scooby-Doo one (I collect metal lunchboxes, BTW...I display them in the kitchen), but I remember buying a Hot Wheels one for a friend, too. I'm positive I would have bought more, if only they had more "cool" ones. Well, apparently their time came and went because this year all I saw were those pathetic plastic and vinyl kind that they seem to pass off as "lunchboxes" now. I'll pass. I don't care if Lisa Frank DID make some of them.

But, never fear, REAL metal lunchboxes are still being manufactured! And, I don't mean those lame-ass mini ones or the ones with the shitball new, thinner handles, I mean the "old school" original-sized kind with the jointed, ridged handles, metal thermos, the works! And the really cool part is that you can get practically anything you'd ever want on a lunchbox these days. From slasher flicks to today's popular movies, as well as favorites of yesteryear. My current goal is to get the Napoleon Dynamite lunchboxes, but I DREAD going to Hot Topic to get it, since Hot Topic is located in the....mall. Aaaiiiggh!

By the way, DON'T be fooled by the cheap-ass lunchboxes that appear to be the good stuff. They are usually easy to spot, for their distinctive gray metal with only one image on both sides. They are nothing more than cheap generic knockoffs that some scam artist has printed out a sticker for and pasted on the side. Other signs of a cheap-ass, non-copyrighted lunchbox: No thermos and an unusually cheap price. Forewarned is forarmed.

And last, but not least, while we're on the topic of lunchboxes and lunch, I've noticed that I have a strange little ritual that I follow when it comes to cutting my sandwiches in half. I prefer to cut my sandwiches that aren't PB&J, diagonally, but I cut my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in half vertically. It's ingrained. I dunno why. Do you have any food idiosyncrasies?

6 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I love the notebooks at the center (in the first collage) and the King Kong and Flash Gordon lunchboxes. So cool!

As for food idiosyncrasies, one of the great joys in life for me is to eat French fries dipped in egg yolk. The first thing I eat when I order something that has fries and fried egg is that combination.

So, whenever I see someone leaving the egg to eat it last I always think "You fool! If you don't eat it right away the egg yolk will have hardened." And how can some people not soak up all the egg yolk with their potatoes and actually leave some of it on the plate is totally beyond me. Me, obsessive?

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheech & Chong lunchbox? I need to find one of those....I could put my weed in there-- no one would suspect a thing.

And I hope to sweet Jebus that my local Walgreens has the Napoleon Dynamite notebooks.

I think my weirdest food idiosyncrasy is that I remove the peels from bananas before eating them-- I can't use it as a "handle". No idea why.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Samantha J. said...

I liked to go back to school shoppin' when i was younger but hated school!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Yeah, aren't the "Bad Kitty" mini composition book and doorknob note pad, just too cute! I love the logo too much! I also looooove the Flash Gordon lunchbox, but then I've always had an affinity for the pulp comics.

I've never had french fries dipped in yolk, but I DO like to dip toast points in it!

Kris-
Lol! That would be hilarious. Or maybe you could just keep it in the thermos and carry your brownies in the lunchbox. ;)

Good luck on finding the Napoleon Dynamite stuff at your Walgreen's. I went to 4 different ones and by pure chance, caught the last spiral notebook at two of them, while one had plenty of ND folders, but that was about it. I know Hot Topic carries them, but no telling how much they've jacked up the price on them.

Interestinnnnng...no banana peel handle. The only thing that freaks me out about eating a banana that way is when it has those weirdo banana "strings" left on it. Weird.

Nccountry-
Oh man, you are not alone. Everytime I mention that I liked school, there are more people than not who tell me they hated it. I guess I liked it because it was some place to showcase my sense of humor. I was forever getting bad conduct grades for "acting out" in class.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My elementary days were in the mid 80s so the metal lunch box was gone. But I did have a plastic G.I. Joe lunch box with matching thermos. I felt truly cool when I strutted into the cafeteria with that bad boy! Not unlike John Travolta with the can of paint in the opening sequence of Saturday Night Fever.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Rene-
I died laughing when I read your comment! I already had that scene from Saturday Night Fever (complete with Bee Gees soundtrack) playing in my head, even before you said it! Lol! I know what you mean, though. I thought I was the shiznit when I got my vinyl Ziggy lunchbox. I think the only plastic ones I had were Garfield and Beetlejuice (the animated series). Loved them too! I dunno what it is about a lunchbox, but they have some kind of magical power over me. I think it's a combinationf of nostalgia and pop culture, in a portable medium.

Thanks for commenting! :D

Sunday, September 04, 2005 3:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.