Monday, August 29, 2005

Currently Reading

Shockwaves by Thomas Tessier © 1982

From the back cover: Beware The Blade: Pity about Jackie. She's trapped in a loveless marriage, isolated, alone. And then along comes a handsome stranger. Mysterious. Passionate. A perfect lover. But someone else has come to town. Someone who adores young women. He's the Blade. Savage. Relentless. A psychotic killer.

And tonight -- the Blade has a date with Jackie...


Comments: My friend Nathan picked this book up for me at a nearby used book store because he thought it looked like something I would like. Boy, was he right! It reads like a good ol' 80's slasher flick. I love it!

Fruit by Brian Francis © 2004

Courtesy of Booklist: Peter knows there are plenty of things wrong with his body. He is planning to start his diet any day so that he will be thin and normal by high school. But it's his deformed nipples, suddenly big and swollen as two cherries, that really scare him. He tries to strap them down. He even goes Catholic for a while and prays to the Virgin in his closet to shrink them--and to make the most gorgeous guy in his class give him a call. The time is 1984, but the dream of being "normal" is universal. Both hilarious and gentle, the young teen's voice is pitch-perfect, capturing not only his self-obsession and bedtime fantasies about being Brooke Shields in a shiny pink dress but also his family problems and his generous friendship with the foul-mouthed girl across the street. Without a didactic word, this first novel tells a funny, honest gay coming-of-age story about a boy who finally confronts his secret self.

Comments: I'd like to thank my friend Sarah for sending this book my way. It's a refreshing change of pace from the slasher book above. Thanks Sarah! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Pezgirl-
Fruit is pretty funny so far. I'm diggin' the writing style. Ooh, I will have to check out Self it sounds promising. The premise reminds me of a teen movie I saw in the 80's called Something Special, where a girl wishes she were a boy and wakes up oen morning to find out that she IS!

Thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it. It makes me happy to know someone is enjoying my blog. :D

Best of luck on your show! It sounds great!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.