Monday, October 18, 2004

I Voted Today

Today was the first day for early voting in my area, so I voted today. I didn't have to wait in line too long and it was interesting overhearing people's conversations and observing. It may sound strange, but every time I have gone to vote, including today, I'm always pleasantly surprised how nice/helpful people are. I was sandwiched between a black woman and a white woman and we all ended up discussing who had the best hamburgers, steaks and BBQ in town. Lol! It was kinda fun, dare I say refreshing? There was an elderly couple behind me that noticed me reading the "How To" poster on the wall, showing how to use the electronic ballot. Since this was my first year to use it, I was kinda nervous about fucking things up. She reassured me it was easy as pie, while her husband (compete with handkerchief and overalls) explained to me exactly how you use it. It was sweet.

As I looked around the elementary school gymnasium, the woman in front of me pointed out the irony of the backdrop on the stage, whose curtains were opened. It was a huge mural that appeared to have been painted by kids, that depicted the top portion of the planet earth, with children standing on its' edge, holding hands. The words above it said "Peace On Earth." We briefly touched on how awful it was that the U.S. was at war right now, and then went back to waiting quietly in line. Speaking of, the people in line covered the whole spectrum: Nervous first time voters, elderly couples, adult children with their feeble parents (i.e. walkers, canes, etc.), black people, white people, Hispanic people, men, women, I even saw a leprechaun! Okay, not really, just trying to cut the syrupy sweetness of this blog entry. My point is this: It feels good to be part of democracy. It may sound corny, but it gave me a good feeling knowing that I was making an effort to vote. I have friends who don't for whatever excuse, and sometimes I wish they could feel the same way I do. Voting: It's a good thing.

As you can see from today's collage of photos, the issue of whether or not the Dallas Cowboys build their new 650 million-dollar stadium (with retractable roof) here, where I live, is a big issue this year. The yellow flyer you see was handed to me as I was going inside. Which reminds me: The whole time I was waiting in line, I was holding my voter registration card and this flyer. When I got up to the voting booth area, I was told, quite excitedly I might add, that I wasn't permitted to have that (the flyer) out and to please put it away. Hey, bite me Methuselah! I didn't know, okay. So lose the attitude and the knitted brow, already. I complied, but thought it was retarded nonetheless. Also, I took a picture of some of the Halloween art that lined the school halls. It was nice to see that Halloween hasn't been completely outlawed here in Texas... yet. My favorite is the 3rd one from the left. It looks like what I'd think mine would look like if I were making one! BTW, before I forget, I've scanned some vintage voting clipart for those who are interested. Feel free to download some and use them on your blog, livejournal or wherever you like.


[ Click Images For A Larger Version ]

2 Comments:

Blogger Adelle said...

I am voting tomorrow :)

I have been curious about the stadium in Arlington and what people actually think. All I can see are the pro ads on TV and the news. Curious to see how it ends up.

-Dell
http://www.dellsdiner.com

Monday, October 18, 2004 7:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Dell!

I'm happy to hear that you will be voting tomorrow. Good for you!

I know what you mean about the pro-stadium ads. I can't tell you how many pro-stadium mailers I have received in the mail in the last 4 weeks, not to mention that the surrounding neigborhood has been plastered with pro-stadium yard signs. The strange thing is they are all over the place, not just the foo foo mansions. I agree, it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Funny thing, I just finished reading your blog, while surfing over at Blog Explosion! Consider yourself linked, Florence Jean Castleberry! ;)

-Kirk

Monday, October 18, 2004 7:57:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.