Monday, October 18, 2004

Friends of the Public Library Book Sale

Where I live, October is THE month for book sales and fairs. I went to a book sale this weekend at a public library in a nearby small town. The first time I went was on Friday and made out like a cheesy bandit! SO many out-of-print books! I didn't pay over $1 for anything and some specially-priced books were even half price! Swell!

My friend Nathan called the next day and I told him about the sale and that everything would be half price on Sunday (it was the last day of the sale). We decided to go again on Sunday and we both found some great stuff (again). This time around, my purchases totaled a whopping $5. I collect all sorts of books (some of which I will be talking about in more detail as I get them read), but have a special affinity for old medical/anatomy books (illustrations), 70's lifestyle/pop culture books and children's books that have great illustrations. Well, I found all three!

Friday Visit:
The Art of Bidu Sayao © 1957. LP
Moods in Music: Music for Reading © 1958. LP
The Harmonicats in the Land of Hi-Fi (In Long Playing Microgroove!). LP
Sound Blast: The Sound of Tomorrow Today! LP
Mario Lanza: The Student Prince © 1960. LP
Exotica Vol. III: The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny. LP
Living in Oblivion:The 80's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 © 1993. CD
At Wit's End by Erma Bombeck © 1967
McCall's Giant Golden Make-It Book by John Peter © 1953
The Complete Book of First Aid by John Henderson M.D., F.A.C.S © 1955
Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello © 1990
Men: An Owner's Manuel by Stephanie Brush. © 1984
US Weekly Magazine: Justin Timberlake © 2004
People Magazine © 1988
The Three Stooges: Curly by Joan Howard Maurer © 1985
Entertaining at Home by Marguerite Patten © 1965
Loving the Single Man: How to Meet Him, Understand Him, Love Him by Maggie Rajouane © 1976
The Official Fonzi Scrapbook by Ben Davidson © 1977
Calendar Cats: The Complete Collection by K. Kliban © 1981
Jukebox Saturday Night by J. Krivine © 1977

Sunday Visit: (not pictured)
The Story of Hollywood by Barry Norman © 1987
The Works of Andre Gide by Jean Hytier © 1967 (Gide wrote one of my favorite plays: The Immoralist. Being a BIG fan of James Dean I remember being intrigued with the fact that this was the first play he ever performed in and in particular that it was a play with a gay theme)
Mystery at Shadow Pond by Mary C. Jane © 1969
The Seance by Joan Lowery Nixon © 1980
Circus Heroes and Heroines by Rhine Kirk © 1972 (filled with beautiful color images of old circus posters/banners)
Your Body Wonderful by Robert J.R. Follett © 1961
Man's Body: An Owner's Manual by David Heidenstam © 1976
The Films of Paul Newman by Lawrence J. Quirk © 1974

2 Comments:

Blogger sungoddess said...

I would absolutely lose the plot around so many books... I made a recent post on my blog, "Book Binge, Write Purge" about my absolutely whoreyness when it comes to books... I just wouldn't be able to stop myself, oui?

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mais oui! Trust me, Sungoddess, I hear ya! My heart rate goes up when I see book sales like this. I dunno what it is, but I prefer USED book sales compared to new book sales. I think their appeal is two-fold: [1] They already have a history of ownership and [2] you just can't find new books with the same "soul," if you will, as today's new books. Don't get me wrong, I still love to browse at places like Border's, but used books definitely have the upperhand.

My rule of thumb: If it doesn't have a barcode, it's a plus!

Thanks for stoppin by!

-Kirk :)

Wednesday, October 20, 2004 1:52:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.