Thursday, November 16, 2006

Time Retardant

I emerged from my cocoon yesterday to go pick up some groceries at Super Target and go to the movies (a review coming soon to a blog near you). During my recent closet excavations, I unearthed several Swatch watches. Eighties be damned, I still love my Swatches (complete with dead batteries). A definite defining factor from my formative years. The brilliant marketing, graphic design and overall style of Swatch helped solidify my love of pop culture and good design. But I digress.

Having forsaken the wearing of an actual wristwatch more than 10 years ago, I decided to take a particularly cool Swatch with me and pick up a new battery at the jewelry counter while I was at Target.

Naturally, the watch batteries are behind the counter (because that just makes sense, what with them priced at a whopping $3), so I had to ask for assistance. Naturally, I didn't remove the actual battery before I came, assuming I could borrow a nickel or paperclip to remove the old one while I was there. As it turns out, the clerk is not allowed to aid the customer in any way when it comes to removing the old battery...even though I'm buying a replacement battery. I stood there, mind boggling over the overly complicated corporate bullshit rules & regulations. Apparently it had something to do with the fact that if the watch was somehow damaged while removing/replacing the old battery, the store is liable for damages. Even if I remove the battery myself.

I talked to my friend Derik about this, assuming he would make a frowny face and side with me. He sided with Target. We went back and forth with our own arguments (my key argument: "That's retarded"). He took the "If I talk long enough you'll agree with me out of exhaustion" method. It no workee. I'm stubborn too, so I took my retaliatory, dig in my heels (and oh what heels they are!) stance of "I've made up my mind, get on board or you will be annihilated" (the equivalent of putting my fingers in my ears and singing "I'm not listen-ing! La la la la la!" very loudly). Otherwise known as 'the high road.' LOL! Not. I think our combined hardheadedness is one of the pillars of our complicated, yet steadfast friendship. Needless to say, we agreed to disagree. Maybe I'm nuts, but I think way too many things have gotten waaaaay too complicated.

Annnyway, I ended up buying the battery (+3) over at Radio Shack. I now have a super-groovy "new" timepiece. Once I get caught up around here, I'll have to post some pictures of all the Swatches I found.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Tar-jhay's problem? Even Wally-world changes the batteries for you. Damn corporate rules!!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just deeply jealous of you for
1. owning several 80's vintage Swatches
2. having a Super Target in your area.

I *heart* Swatch!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
Oy, tell me about it. The last time I bought a replacement battery the place I went to switched it out for me. Hell, even Radio Shack did even though "technically" it's also against their policy. The world is such a complicated place. Ppphhllt! :P Whatever

Natalee-
I know, I know. Some things change for the worse. Ridiculous.

Cheryl-
Oh man, I was ALL about Guess and Swatch in the mid 80's. I totally bought into that whole fad of wearing multiple Swatches on your arm, the Swatch Guard, etc. I loved it all. I still have both my Swatch drawstring duffle bags. And get this, I actually made a belt out of my Swatches once. LOL! I was just soooo 'rad.' Ppphhllt! And I wonder why I got pegged as 'gay.' Gee. :B

I do love Super Target, but it can be dangerous to your pocketbook if you are like me. I'm one of those people who doesn't know where to look first when it comes to Target. They have such great design, marketing, etc. I have a friend who works there and I know I'd probably hate to work there (sooooooooo corporate), but I still like to shop there. :)

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.