Thursday, November 09, 2006

Collections #32

This marks the first of a new regular series that I'm going to be posting. Since I have little collections of different things, I thought I'd occasionally share some of them with you.

This is my small collection of bookmarks (the ones I could find). I know bookmarks may seem like an odd thing to find solace in, but I do, however eccentric that may seem. I thought bookmarks were the shit in the 80's. Bookmarks were plentiful back then but have somewhat fallen off the radar and/or gotten fancier and more complicated. Give me a tassled bookmark any ol' day. And speaking of the 80's, I have such fond memories of browsing for hours at B. Dalton Bookseller, Taylor's Books, Waldenbooks, etc. Good times.

I'm esp. fond of the first two bookmarks because they are the oldest. Plus, I never see much of Ziggy anymore and I miss him and his dog Fuzz.

The last bookmark is identical (image-wise) to the bookmarks that one of the bookstores in my hometown used to have sitting out on the counter, for free. I've always loved the image and thought it had a 'cozy' feel to it. The book store, B For Books didn't last long, but I have fond memories of the bookmark. Book stores never really did very well in the town I grew up in (whatta shocker), so I usually had to go to the nearby town of Fort Worth, to shop for my books.

The bookmarks have come from all over the place and some (the first 2 in the last row) are a few that I picked up at various used book sales. I esp. love the name The Haunted Book Shop (I so wanna go there!) and the quote on the other bookmark: "A room without books is as a body without a soul." Nice.

[ Click image for more detail ]

3 Comments:

Blogger RagDoll said...

How fantastic are those bookmarks!? I still have my bookmarks from the 80's somewhere too. How have you been? I'm glad I'm not the only bookmark nerd.

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:27:00 PM  
Blogger Cindi said...

Oh, I love the one that says "this is the dirty part"! I used to have some towels with Ziggy on them. They showed Ziggy in the shower and instead of the water spritzing out of the showerhead, the water was spritzing out upward from the shower drain. I bought those towels around 1978 and used them forever until they were so faded and thin. Love me some Ziggy!

Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
I knew we were in sync! ;)

Ragdoll-
Hey Monkeybutt! I haven't talked to you in such a long time. I really do think about you though. Are you still at the same address? I get the hankerin' to send a card your way from time to time and I wasn't sure. Lemme know!

And I love that you love the bookmarks, not to mention the fact that someone else besides Dorkzilla (AKA me) enjoys them still too. I just found another Garfield one just last night (I forgot I was using it in a book I was reading. Derr!) If I find enough more of them I may be forced to do a sequel to this post. Lol!

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it! :)

Cindi-
I love that one too! A pen-pal of mine sent that one to me back in the 80's. I always thought it was great and have never seen another one anywhere else since.

That is too cool. I don't think I have ever even seen Ziggy towels. I bought some Ziggy bedsheets at a thrift store in the mid 90's, and I had no idea they existed either! I'm saving them to have them made into curtains for my kitchen.

I'm glad to see someone else besides myself loves Ziggy. He's one of those cartoon characters people seem to either love or hate. Kinda like Cathy and/or those Jesuslicious Love Is... naked people. :P

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D

Monday, November 13, 2006 3:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.