Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Thrift Finds


Here are some of my most recent thrift store finds:

• I found this great framed drawing (18.5 X 9) of a circus procession (love the lil' monkey Ringmaster riding the elephant!) for $7. Click the image for a better view.

• I found these two like-new records [It Takes Two..to Cha Cha...- Warren Covington and the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra © 1973 & Harry Belafonte- Calypso © 1965] at the Salvation Army. I had just seen them a little earlier in the day at another thrift store, and was tempted to buy them then, but they both had split sleeves and/or the record was heavily scratched. I'm glad I waited! 50¢ each.

• How great is this little trio of apothecary jars? Numbered 1-3, they all have chrome lids with handles and the jars are made from heavy crockery. Once I tightened the handles on each with a screwdriver and cleaned them up with a little Cinch, they looked great! My plan is to put them in the bathroom and fill them with Alka-Seltzer, cottonballs, etc. They were priced at $3 BUT because they had the discount-tag-o-the-day on them, I got all three of them for $1.50!

• Thinking ahead to Halloween, I snatched up this little hanging ceramic own candle holder to hang from my front porch come October. Very sweet and only $1.59.

*While standing in line behind a woman who had managed to put every piece of useless shit imaginable into her cart, I had plenty of time to wrestle with the owl, trying to find a secure way to hold it without dropping it (I had other stuff in my hands as well). So stupid me wraps his fingers up and inside the owl's head, forgetting that years of soot from the burning candle was there. Needless to say, I got it alllllll over me. Rhee! I swear it was like something out of an episode of Three's Company. Before all was said and done, I looked like a chimney sweep. Ack! Thank goodness I carry this in the car at all times (especially when I know I'm going thrifting).

ZOOM: Best of the 70's VHS. After I'd already checked out, I happened to notice a small rack of VHS, CDs and audio cassettes. I found this PBS blast from the past for just .50¢.

Beverly Hills Teens: Roughing It VHS. Am I the only one who remembers this 80's cartoon? No one else I know seems to remember it. I remember it vividly because I loved the theme song and because there was nothing else good on during their timeslot. It was fun to watch this totally 80's cartoon all over again. Typical monologue" "He may seem fabuloso-- but underneath he's still mondo-grosso." LOL!

*I also managed to pick up (not shown) Real Life's (best known for their 80's hit, Send Me an Angel) 1990 CD Lifetime (a really great album that I used to own, but misplaced) [$1] and the cassette soundtrack to one of my favorite boxing movies: 1992's Gladiator, starring Twin Peaks hottie, James Marshall [.25¢]. ROWR!

4 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

OMG I remember Beverly Hills Teens!!! I do I do! I couldn't have named it as a cartoon I watched because I totally forgot about it. Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mon-
Thank God! I'm glad someone else does too! Lol! I remember thinking it had one of the grooviest theme songs ever (next to the Punky Brewster cartoon's theme song!). I just found the opening sequence over at Youtube, I'll be posting it today!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that show! I thought I was the only one that remembered it. LOL!

I especially liked the theme song.

I remember an episode where one of the teens said that when confronted by a shark to hit it on the nose.

Another episode where a teen was entering a beauty contest but was a lil over the required 113 pounds.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Kristie-
Me too! The theme song was the main draw for me, then the arrogant brunette hunk was second (some things never change).

One hundred and 13 pounds? I leave heavier things in the toilet. Okay, not really, but still. LOL!

Thanks for reminiscing with me! I'm glad someone else remembers this show. :)

Friday, September 08, 2006 11:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.