Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Rummaging 4 Records

A while back I mentioned that I went home to get my new inspection sticker for my car. While I was there I visited my favorite junk store. They have sooo much great stuff if you're willing to do the work to find it. I'm willing. P.s. I know how much Dennis loves him some ONJ, so this post if dedicated to him.

[1/5] Olivia Newton John's LP Physical (© 1981). It was in pristine condition and even still had the original bonus poster (5) inside! Wheeee! This is why I miss records. You just can't duplicate this kinda stuff with a CD, no matter how hard you try.

[2/4] K-Tel Presents Disco Fire (© 1978)! I still loooove finding old K-Tel albums. Especially the Disco ones. They always had such fun, TV-friendly covers, like this one! It's a double record LP and when you open up the sleeve, inside it says: "Put some FIRE into your DISCO; Learn to do the Hot Chocolate!"...sigh...it's even illustrated! You know I had to buy it.

[3] This is my absolute favorite find of the day: K-Tel Presents- Night Moves: The Professional Approach to Disco Dance Instruction (© 1979)..by none other than...Deney Terrio!!!!! Yep, the same Deney Terrio that taught Travolta how to dance for Saturday Night Fever and host of Dance Fever! The box was still in it's original plastic and contained 2 LPs and a fully-illustrated book! I about wet 'em!! The photographs are insanely GREAT. Before it's all said and done, we're gonna learn how to Disco dance, muthafucka! And that's a promise. Coming soon to a blog near you!

[6/7] And last, but certainly not least, I found this pristine, complete box set: The Swing Era: The Music of 1940/1941. This was just one in a series of boxset released by Time Life in the mid 70's. There were 15 sets total. The boxset I bought contained 3 records, 2 plastic records (anyone remember these? They were made from flimsy plastic and you usually had to put a penny on them, when you played them, so they would stay put) and a fully-illustrated, hardcover book titled How It was to Be Young Then. The books are really great. If you run across one, I definitely recommend picking it up. Great photographs. Fantastic "trippy" cover.

So, there you have it. The few things I couldn't live without. And I was serious when I said I was gonna teach you how to disco dance. I'm scanning as you read this!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just love you and the disco behind...you know it is the thing that interrupted my listening to music for years...No dancing with one finger pointing in the air and one on your hips...Although I bet you are just cute as shit doing it.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:47:00 PM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

You are a sweetheart. I am not ashamed to admit that in fact my heart still belongs to ONJ, after all these years. :)

qvtde

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 1:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I read your blog I feel like I should sing The Origin of Love by Hedwig....now I know why. You are my other half Kirk dear......I have the SAME Deney Terrio record set! I found mine at a yard sale for a QUARTER.......You gotta love the "extra" dances he has in there
( witness the FONZ) , they are always good for a giggle.....and I have several of the K-Tel classics .....we should compare notes some day!
*blows kisses *

Love you!

dawne

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Princess Wild Cow-
Aw, well not everyone is a Disco fan. I don't live for it or anything, but I love it as a pop culture phenomenon. That's not to say I don't own my share of Disco CDs/records.

I think the term "cute" ceased describing me decades ago. LOL! But thanks for the compliment, anyway. :D

Mrs. Turd Ferguson-
Another relocated Arlingtonite! I think you are my third one this week! Like I was telling another one, it's too bad none of the people who "get" my blog live remotely near me. Isn't that always the way? I've lived here for going on 15 years and I don't know a single person here. All my friends live in other nearby towns and/or states. Dang!

Thank you for the nice compliment. It makes me really happy that you enjoy my blog. I've said it before and I'll say it again (because it's true), compliments like this really inspire me to continue blogging (I did it in notebooks for decades before I discovered "blogging."). Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Dennis-
Hey, as far as I'm concerned there's no shame in admitting you like anything that makes you happy. We're not in high school anymore so there's no one's opinion to deal with anymore (not that that was every really an issue). I, like you, have always liked what I like. It's that simple.

Hell, if I can repeatedly post about my "guilty pleasures," my fetishes, etc., surely you can like Olivia Newton-John! :)

Dawne-
Ohhhh man, you gave away one of the dances I am gonna debut here on the blog. The Fred Flintstone, Fonz, Steve Martin, etc. "dances" were the deciding factor in my purchase! OMG, they are soooo cheesy, I couldn't resist!

I'm so pleased that someone besides myself has an affinity for and appreciates the pop culture side of life! I knew my soulmate was out there somewhere. Who knew Disco would bring us together? Heh ;)

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It was great hearing from you! :D

Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.