Wednesday, November 10, 2004

More Guilty Pleasures

Having already done a blog entry months ago about my guilty cinematic pleasures, I felt enough time had passed before I hit you with my guilty music-listening pleasures. With that said, I have a confession to make. It won't be easy for me, but I must come clean with you, my blog readers. Now I know many (if not all) of you have come to think of me as the hippest, coolest, most talented, funniest, prettiest, most magical, edgiest, most humble person you've ever known... BUT... it's all a facade. I'm not really that edgy. Lol! Just kidding. I am. But seriously, here's my confession: I like... mid 70's, early 80's...{gulp} Country/Pop music! Aaaiiiggh! {dramatically buries head in hands and sobs uncontrollably} There! I said it. Are you happy now?

One of my friends once said that our first exposure to music and our likes are pretty much determined by what our parents listened to. I tend to agree. Growing up in Texas, the car radio station was perpetually set to the local Country & Western station. Unlike my father, I was not keen on the warbling of Hank Williams, however, I did learn to like Crystal Gayle, because of my mother. I remember listening to her 8-track over and over again. We had lots of records and 8-tracks around the house.

I distinctly remember my very first record. It was a last-minute gift given to me by a rich family my parents were friends with. My parents went over to their house one evening to have drinks and do whatever it was adults did in the early 80's, leaving me to play with their two daughters: Holly & Heidi (who spent most of her time in her bedroom... those angst-ridden teen years, and all). I remember being fascinated that there was a humongous salt water aquarium built into the wall that ran the length of the staircase. WOW! Supa coo! Anyway, my parents had brought them (the couple) a Christmas gift and I had, in turn, brought Holly (I went to school with her) a Christmas present, too. Her mother must have been a girl scout, 'cause she immediately produced a wrapped square from beneath the Christmas tree, and gave it to me. Thus, my first Album: Ronnie Milsap's Greatest Hits.

Snicker if you will, but I defy you to listen to that album and NOT sing and/or tap your foot. That's an official double-dog-dare! I loved that record. I think a big part of it was because I was a little kid at the time. Not jaded enough, not "informed" enough to have preconceptions about a particular artist and/or style of music. Now if you mention Country music to me, my brain switches over to automatic and I think "Ech. Hick," while images of big-haired, be-mulleted conservative Republicans line dance in my head. I can't help it. Like I said, it's automatic.

Truth be told, I do like some C&W music. However, rarely is it any of the new stuff. I think the last C&W CD I bought (and liked) was by James Bonamy. His album "What I Live To Do" was released in 1996. I remember seeing the music video by chance one day and thinking "OMG, he is fuckin' beautiful AND I like his music!" (AKA a double whammy). Granted, he is beautiful to look at, I also liked his music because it reminded me of the 70's/80's pop country I grew up with. I'm not positive, but I think he may have been one of those "one-hit-wonders"-types, which is unfortunate, because he's a talented guy. If you're interested, you can pick up his CD over at Half.com for well under $1. Remember, inexpensive, does not necessarily equal "bad."

Well, I've rambled on long enough. Here are my Top 5 Guilty Music Pleasures (all under $10):

Ronnie Milsap: Greatest Hits. © 1980
Favorite songs include:
(I'd Be) A Legend in My Time
Pure Love
Smokey Mountain Rain
Daydreams About Night Things
It Was Almost Like a Song
What a Difference You've Made in My Life

Barbara Mandrell: Greatest Hits. © 1985
Favorite songs include:
I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool
Best of Strangers
Wish You Were Here
(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right
Crackers
One of a Kind Pair of Fools

Charley Pride: 24 Greatest Hits. © 1996
Favorite songs include:
Kiss an Angel Good Morning
Mountain of Love
All I Have To Offer You (Is Me)
I Don't Think She's in Love Anymore
Burgers and Fries
Someone Loves You Honey

Crystal Gayle: All-Time Greatest Hits. © 1990
Favorite songs include:
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Talking in Your Sleep
Why Have You Left the One You Left Me For
Wrong Road Again
Somebody Loves You
When I Dream

The Carpenters: Singles 1969-1981. © 2000
Favorite songs include:
For All We Know
Rainy Days and Mondays
All You Get From Love Is a Love Song
Sing
Please Mr. Postman
Close To You, (They Long To Be)

Some other honorable mentions include: Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline, Culture Club and Pseudo Echo. Tell me some of YOUR guilty musical pleasures. I promise I won't laugh.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that Carpenters one. I'm with you on the 70's/80's thing!

daniel@danielphillip.com

Wednesday, November 10, 2004 3:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly everyone is overlooking the important lesson to be learnt in this post.....

...that the wearing of 'high-pants' really doesn't look good on anybody, no?


Sam(friggin' blogger comments, I am not anonymous dammit!)

Wednesday, November 10, 2004 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger Michel Johansen said...

Uh, you forgot the total # number album, Buster! It's the soundtrack to Carnie Halloween! It's great, it even has an introduction from . . . . MR ZIDDLE HIMSELF!!

Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

First off, lemme give credit where credit's due. I got this idea of responding to blog comments from Sam (AKA Anonymous): http://blog.sambice.net/

It'll just save me some time, while at the same time being able to give you the hands-on service you've come to expect, know and love.

Daniel-
Thank you. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! Viva les 70's & 80's!

CL-
Japanese Pop/Rock huh? Bet he'd love: http://www.popjapan.tv/

I SO remember watching The Superbowl Shuffle music video on Friday Night Videos. Don't ask me why, 'cause in retrospect I must have been sniffing glue, but I remember thinking Jim McMahon was cute... then he took off the sunglasses. Um, can you say Corky from Life Goes On? Yeesh.

KG-
I forgot about Whitney! I actually do like some of her music. And even her movie The Bodyguard. I do! So there!

Yeah, it's sad to see what a cokehead she turned out to be. Proof positive that marrying a wife beater and doing drugs really can ruin your career.

Sam (if that's your REAL name)-
I agree. High pants belonged firmly in the 60's... unless you're really really hot, then you can wear anything. I hate those people!

Michel-
I agree. The soundtrack to Carnie Halloween is good, but it's no Arsonist's Arbor Day soundtrack! Who could forget the remix of Acorn Anarchy!

Thursday, November 11, 2004 1:42:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.