Monday, July 18, 2005

The Incredibles

I finally got around to renting the Disney movie, The Incredibles. At the risk of sounding elitist, I had kinda been putting it off because 1) It didn't really interest me to begin with, when it was at the theater.
2) Thanks (?) to BlogExplosion, I've surfed waaaaay too many mommylicious blogs out there about how wonderful it was and
3) Usually when the general masses like something, it has an adverse affect on me.

So, I rented it and it wasn't bad. Though I see why most of middle America loved it, that's precisely the reasons I didn't. Oh, I'm not saying I hated it, but I am saying it's not something I'd add to my DVD collection.

Pros:
1) The choice of actors/actresses to do the voicework was great. I love Holly Hunter. She has a great distinctive voice that lent itself perfectly to the character she played. I have to admit, though, with the look of the character 'E', I'd have thought it would have been better suited to the voice of Linda Hunt.
2) The overall look of the film's computer-generated animation is great. It almost verges on a new millenium Claymation.
3) The musical score lent itself perfectly to the fast-paced action of the film. Great job by the composer.

Cons:
1) The movie has the feel of one of those schmaltzy PSRs that seem to be rotating every 30 minutes on the Nickelodeon and ABC channels, about the importance of taking time to eat dinner with your family. 'cause you know, if you DON'T your kid will become an out-of-control drug addict/alcoholic and have pre-marital sex. They may even *shudder* develop their own opinions! *GASP!* In other words, the movie is extremely famililicious and was definitely made with that demographic in mind. Thus it's appeal among the aforementioned masses.
2) The baby gimmick. Esp. at the end (saw that one coming a mile away).
3) The end product didn't live up to the hype.
4) The inevitability of the straight to DVD sequel(s).

So, my basic complaint is that I could have lived without the kids. All that was missing was the dog and grandma. From an aesthetic standpoint, the movie was beautifully executed. From a plot standpoint, the movie was too contrived and chock full of Family Values. It was like a flashback to the Dan Quayle years all over again. Don't come back to the five and dime '88-'92. Oh. Too late.

So, in short, if you are a parent, a grandparent or will watch just about anything that flies out of Disney's butt, then The Incredibles is for you! Otherwise, rent The Rescuers or The Great Mouse Detective, neither one of which have a toy deal with McDonald's.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has got to be the most inexplicable thing I've yet read on your site, which is really saying something! :-)

Maybe it's because I think The Incredibles is one of the best super-hero movies ever made... or maybe it's because I think director Brad Bird is a god (seen Iron Giant?)... but your review seems a bit out of sorts. It's as if you latched on to the underlying "family element" and despised it so much that you couldn't see past it and enjoy a film that served up so much more. I mean... it's a cartoon that was created by Pixar for kids that's distributed by DISNEY!! It's going to be a bit preachy down those lines, because THAT'S ALL DISNEY DOES! I guess I just don't see it as the fatal flaw you do. In fact, I struggle to find it as a flaw at all considering how the ultimate message of the film is to accept who you are and become the individual you want to be.

Oh yeah... there's some "good triumphs over evil" stuff in there too. :-)

Monday, July 18, 2005 2:44:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

I never saw The Incredibles and I never will, because I don't want to see yet another movie/TV series where the characters make mistakes because we, the audience, are supposed to find that funny.

Remember your review about Hulk Hogan? How we did everything wrong about his daughter's date because it would (supposedly) be hilarious that way? Lame, and insulting to one's intelligence.

That's what I saw in every second of The Incredibles' trailer. Not for me, thank you.

Monday, July 18, 2005 2:58:00 AM  
Blogger Samantha J. said...

I went and saw the "Incredibles" While it was in the theater, I liked it and thought it was cute but when I walked out of the theater i felt dizzy and sick to my stomach. I guess it was during all the action seans, they were jumping all over the place in those.

Monday, July 18, 2005 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

I totally enjoyed the movie and bought the DVD. Of course, I have the critical eye of a gnat, so that could explain it. Well, that's probably not true, but I liked it anyway.

I found your blog this weekend on the explosion (even voted for it a few times in battles) and have now blogrolled you. Hope you don't mind. Keep up the good work.

Monday, July 18, 2005 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i feel ya on this one.
it was a fun little jaunt.
nothing to write home about.

Monday, July 18, 2005 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger hexacontium said...

I agree with your review. I've definitely seen better animated movies and I really could not understand the hype about it. It was nice to watch but nothing more. My favouriste animated movie at the moment is "The Triplets of Belleville"

Monday, July 18, 2005 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger girlzoot said...

While I love animation of all sorts, I have to agree that Pixar on the whole mostly has to do with family entertainment.

One of the things I did like about the shout out to individuality though was the scene between the mother and son where she says everyone is special and he says that is her way of saying no one is.

What I did like about this film was the way it treated superhero lives. I love when animation takes the opportunity to stretch things and use animation to the fullest and just be more fanciful and foolish than actors and blue screeens.

Monday, July 18, 2005 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Dave2-
Stick around, I'm sure this won't be the last inexplicable thing you'll read on here. And yes, it may have something to do with the fact that you think it's the "best super-hero movies ever made."

To each his own. Besides, I do have a Pros list. ;)

Mariana-
I can totally relate to your point, though that wasn't so much the issue with me. Though, that is precisely the reason I find Tim Conway's brand of humor extremely dated and just not funny anymore. Circa 1970's, yes, circa 2005, no.

Nccounty-
I can relate to that. I felt the same way after seeing The Blair Witch Project. I thought I was gonna ralph. Godzilla (the Matthew Broderick version) also had the same affect on me.

Dennis!-
Hey, you like what you like and that's cool. I liked the movie, it just wasn't something I thought lived up to the hype and was heavy-handed in the "family dyanmic" dept. It has its' moments. :)

Thanks for blogrolling me! I always consider that a huge compliment. And thanks for taking the time to comment. :D

Carrie-
My point exaaaactly. Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. No apologies.

Thanks for commenting! :)

Hexacontium-
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who dared defy the cardinal rule of loving all things Disney. It's not a popular stance, especially these days. Lol! BTW, I loved The Triplets of Bellevue! Fun, beautiful movie.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Girlzoot-
Oh, I know. There's no doubt that both Pixar and Disney made their reputation on making family-friendly movies. That's a given. I'm just saying, The Incredibles in particular went all-out with the family dynamic and thus my interest dwindled.

You know, I totally remember that line, too, but I wasn't quite sure how to interpret it.

I totally agree with you about the fresh approach to superheroes as real people. I thought that aspect of the movie was fresh and dealt with in a fun way. Personally, I was hoping that the grand finale (re: the showdown between The Incredibles & the robot) was going to have all the "ex-superhoeros" come out of hiding and band together. THAT would have been more entetaining to me than seeing some rehash of an old Full House episode. Lol!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 1:08:00 AM  
Blogger girlzoot said...

I do think that would have been spiffy, see even more heros and more of the intricate world they had created.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.