Thursday, November 11, 2004

Are Diamonds a Girl's Best Friend?

Okay, I hope you're ready for a bit of a rant, 'cause I have one today. Those with sensitive constitutions may wish to skip today's blog entry and go elsewhere.

I know that certain commercials play in different parts of the country, so chances are you may not have seen the commercial I am about to tear a new asshole. The commercial is for Overstock.com. This commercial is constantly playing in the area of Texas where I live. All my friends have commercials they hate: Derik: Walmart: "goin' to the lake this weekend!"-commercial. Nathan: Toby Keith "I'm a Ford truck man"-commercial. Well, add the Overstock.com commercial to my list of hated commercials. For those of you who may have seen it and are thinking "But Kirk, it's so unassuming, why do you hate it so?" Well, I'll tell you why.

But first, let me give you a brief run down of the commercial: A WASPy, tanned woman goes through various settings (all the settings and their contents are white. She is the only colored thing in the ad), with her saying: "It's all about the clothes!" (she's surrounded by clothes). "Sometimes, it's all about the outdoors" (she's wearing a tennis outfit). "It's all about the office" (she dons "now I'm smart"-specs and a business suit). "It's all about the home" (she swirls around in some faux luxurious surroundings). "It's all about the books (nestled on the couch pretending to read a book)...music...videos (surrounded by CD/DVD cases)" Then finally, she gets to the whole point of the commercial: "Then again, on occasion (this is where I roll my eyes), sometimes it's all about the GOLD," as she hugs her bare shoulder and turns toward the camera wearing a necklace with a big-ass "O" (for Overstock.com) pendant on it. This is the part where I mock her voice and say "Then again, on occasion, sometimes it's all about whoring yourself out for some trinkets." It's commercials like this that fill me with even more contempt for the archetype that has become the American way of life.

And this is why I hate this commercial. My question is, what the fuck is it about jewelry that makes women's panties moist? It seems SO superficial to me. Now I'm not sayin' I don't like material possessions as much as the next person, or that I'm somehow above being materialistic. What I want to know is, why is jewelry so ingrained in a woman's psyche, that it will dictate whether or not she feels loved, appreciated, worthy, rewarded, compensated, etc.? Are you telling me a woman's fuckin' sense of self-worth hangs in the balance of whether or not she owns a goddamn diamond ring? Jewelry serves absolutely no practical purpose: You can't eat it. You can't wear it all at one time (don't tell Mr. T I said that). It's not going to make you a better person. Personally, when I see some woman wearing a lot of jewelry, my first thought is "I wonder how fucked up her life is?" Call me a cynic (please), but I guess I'm just not impressed easily.

Yet, every Christmas, Valentine's, New Year's, like clockwork, we get bombarded with images of giddy women who receive jewelry. Implying that the giver consider himself laid. Maybe that's the answer. Is jewelry just payment in advance for services rendered? A going-down payment, if you will. Is jewelry unspoken par for the course? Why are we led to believe jewelry is the ultimate gift a woman can get? That's not to say that jewelry is completely out of the question, Lord knows my father gave my mother enough of it over the years. And you know where that jewelry is now? Collecting dust in the bottom of some dresser drawer or hidden away in a safe deposit box somewhere, waiting for a "special occasion." Oh the glamour!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

hee hee. I'm so sorry. Trust me, I know the feelin' all too well. Nameless Blogger over at "I Wish I Didn't Have A Name," already beat me to the punch with her Charlie and the Chocolate Factory blog (which I will be posting next week) and Jen over at "Queerly Canadian" already wrote a blog about gay men who label themselves "straight-acting" in personal ads.

I just hope someone doesn't write about seeing the movie "Saw" before I can post my blog about it on Monday!

I hate Overstock.com with a passion, thanks to their Oprah-licious ads. Personally, I think she has something to do with it since they are ALL over the Oxygen channel. 'O'... Oprah... I could be onto something.

Friday, November 12, 2004 3:13:00 AM  
Blogger Raspil said...

i'm a female and i don't give a shit about jewelry. i'm not just saying that, i really do think diamonds and jewels of any sort are pointless. i just wanted you to know that some of us do exist, you seem a bit irked. i believe you are right when some women measure their self-esteem by the cost and size of the rocks they wear. those women make the rest of us look bad and cause thoughts like the ones you're posting here.

i hate overstock.com's commercials ("have you heard of the Big O?" -- that makes my skin crawl) but i love their prices. i've only bought one thing from them. a full-size bed frame. it looks like it belongs in a beverly hills insane asylum. at 70% off, i couldn't resist. at least i'm not buying their jewelry.

and you're led to believe jewelry is the be-all-end-all answer to a woman's prayers because that is what advertising causes you to do. it is evil. you must turn your bullshit-o-meter up higher and realize these things are not worth your energy.

Friday, November 12, 2004 4:12:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

I never met any woman that fit that description of basically the gold digger with a Pavlovian response to anything bling. Your mother doesn't fit the profile of the woman who lives for jewelry either. Her jewelry is somewhere collecting dust, you say? That sounds very familiar and it should tell you something.

The women I know when they buy jewelry do it using their own money, they're not trophy wives or whores collecting their fee. And what they buy is sometimes expensive and sometimes a bargain made of glass and cheap metal. It's not an ostentatious thing, it's an aesthetic thing.

It's depressing to hear that such a stupid stereotype as you describe is alive and kicking in American commercials. Although the reason why is very obvious: because it's probably the only way they can get men (who usually have more money to spend) to buy jewelry. It's in the jewelers best interest to convince men that they'll get everything they want out of a woman - as long as they buy them very expensive jewelry. In fact, the more expensive the better (for the jewelers and their profit, of course...)

I'm sure there are all kinds of people in this world and calculating gold diggers as well, of both genders. But like I said, I just find it curious that I myself never met a woman who fit that description. I guess the men who believe that ad are in for a big disappointment when they find out that the world is not entirely made of whores.

Friday, November 12, 2004 8:31:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Raspil-
Trust me, I know that for every woman/man out there that uses jewelry as a bargaining chip, there's one who could give a shit if they have their share of "bling." And you're right, I am irked, pissed even, that the stereotype that jewelry is the be-all end-all of gift giving between a man and woman is still be perpetuated. Like yourslf, I know a lot more women who would rather have something practical than some useless piece of jewelry.

You made me laugh when you mentioned "The Big O" (and I don't mean the animated series). I'd forgotten about that! Ech! I hated that one, too! Sounds like you got a kickass bed frame, though! Hell yeah, who could resist 70% off? Not even I.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

Gatochy-
First off, I'm glad you saw the article in the light in which it was intended. I was jokingly telling a friend that I expected to be lynched (pitchforks et al) at some point throughout the day.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned aesthetics. I was discussing the topic with a friend who sells jewelry for a living and she, being a lover of the history of jewelry as well, said the exact same thing. Of course, this article wasn't intended for those people. It was intended for those who manipulate and perpetuate the stereotype. I'm not a fan of any kind of stereotype, so this jewelry-whore rant is no exception.

I've got to go polish my mood ring now. ;)

Friday, November 12, 2004 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I'm sooo not 'girly' when it comes to that kind of thing - jewellery, clothes, shoes. I couldn't care less. I bought a ring once in Bali - silver with the most amazing coloured blue (fake) stone I've seen. It stood out so much I had to buy it, even though I don't actually wear it. Any other jewellery I have, has been given to me - and it gathers dust too, only to come out for weddings etc.

Makes me sad to think that people still determine their own worth on the number of little flashy adornments they own. Worse, still, it seems apparent it's being encouraged via advertising.

Friday, November 12, 2004 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Kalliope-
Ooh, the ring sounds pretty cool, actually. Bali, huh? No fair! I never get to go anywhere. Bali always sounds so exotic!

Yep, it is sad that something like self-worth can be bought these days. I've noticed a significant increase in the jewelry commercials lately (naturally). Just yesterday I saw one for Jared's, Zales and (yet again) Overstock.com. Maybe it's a Texas thing. You know, that "everything's bigger in Texas" mentality so many people here have. Who knows.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:55:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.