Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Scooter Looters

Are you familiar with these commercials for these scooters, supposedly made for the disabled or the elderly? The one I see advertised the most is, The Rascal. Here's the commercial set up: An able-bodied elderly couple come home to find a message on their answering machine: A friend is calling to tell them how she won a FREE Rascal and now she's free as a bird! Flash on her shopping, meeting friends for lunch, etc. As the commercial goes on, the couple receive more messages from the same free-wheelin' friend, about how she is doing just about everything but pole-vaulting over Mt. Everest. The commercial ends with the woman of the couple, calling her friend and leaving a message "Hi Jolene, this is Caroline, I'm calling to see how we can win our OWN free Rascal!" Her husband gives her a thumbs up.

The commercial leaves me with s few unanswered questions: 1) Why would two able-bodied people want a Rascal to begin with? 2) How come the woman who has the new Rascal is able to stand up and walk on her own, when putting the Rascal into the trunk of her car? 3) Are all old people lazy motherfuckers?

I don't know what it's like where you live, but here, I see people with these type of motorized scooters, on a regular basis. Why, just the other day, I was at the post office, and some fat, black woman was at the counter, sitting in one. On my way home, I passed her, ON THE ROAD, Rascalin' her ass home. WTF? And then a few weeks ago, I saw another fat, black woman (different woman, different scooter) Rascalin' her way through the neighborhood to the convenience store. And it ain't just black women, but it always seems to be a fat woman, whether it's at the grocery store, Wal-Mart (As an absolute last resort, when everything else is closed) or other public places. The commercials sure-as-hell don't ever show some water buffalo with an open bag of Cheetos riding one. It's always the elderly, whom I've yet to see utilizing them.

My question is, when did people get so fuckin' lazy? I'm all for the person who has medical issues and actually needs some form of mechanical assistance, but don't expect any sympathy from me, just 'cause you "love nachos." I've seen these people get out of their scooters and walk, so I know they aren't paralyzed. What pisses me off the most is that their insurance is actually paying for it, while people who really need them, have situations where appointments, medication, etc. aren't covered by their insurance. Why should insurance pay for someone else's lack of (or disregard for) self-control when it comes to eating? Ridiculous! People stink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.