Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Amy Not-So-Smart


A few weeks ago I bought the movie Just Friends on DVD. I debated on whether or not to buy it because I thought the premise was pretty weak, but my love of Ryan Reynolds and Anna Faris won out.

In addition to Reynolds and Faris, there was also a really great character actor named Fred Ewanuick. Very cute. I actually liked him even better than Reynolds in this movie. Very likeable and cute.

For those not familiar with the movie, here's the basic synopsis: A man comes face-to-face with old high school crush -- a woman whose rejection of him turned him into a ferocious womanizer. Pretty generic.

Long story short, I didn't like the movie. What a waste of money. Even Reynolds couldn't salvage this one for me. BUT, here's the whole reason I wrote the post:

Months ago, back when the movie was hitting theaters, some of the cast members did interviews with various shows, hawking the new movie. Co-stars Amy Smart and Chris Klein were two of those people. One of those interviews was conducted by one of the correspondents of David Spade's show on Comedy Central, The Showbiz Show.

The mock interview was intended to be an attempt to find out what the movie was about, who the stars were and other general promotional information. What the interviewees didn't know what that it was all fake. What ensued was hilarious and eye-opening.

Hilarious because it was seriously pissing off co-star Amy Smart and eye-opening because it showed everyone what a self-important diva she really is. Personally, I'd never even heard of her pompous ass before and after seeing her behavior during the interview, have zero interest in her or any of her future projects. Besides, I don't see her being around too long anyway. She's definitely interchangeable with half of what passes for "celebrity" these days.

In the beginning of the film, Reynolds appears in a fat suit, played for laughs, as a nerdy, lovesick suitor to Smart's character. With that background, the interviewer asks Smart what the movie is about. She tells him and from there on out he "absent-mindedly" keeps referring to the movie as Shallow Hal (another movie where the fat suit schtick was used with similar results), only to be corrected by Smart on multiple occasions before he begins catching himself before saying the title each time.

After a continued quasi-confused interview, Smart is getting very snippy, making snotty faces and throwing some serious attitude, going so far as to inform the interviewer that he's wasting her valuable time and she has more important things to do than deal with this interview. The interviewer apologizes and brings the interview to a close by thanking his guests Chris Klein and Reese Witherspoon. ROTLMAO! The look on her face was priceless! I thought I was gonna DIE! I about peed my pants laughing. Smart's eyes flickered with hatred as she informed him that she was NOT "Reese Witherspoon!" Then, just when you think it couldn't get any funnier, the interviewer leans in to shake Klein's hand and goes in for a hug and kiss from Smart, who is super-pissed and angrily pushes him away while exclaiming "Get offa me!" Television gold.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always get a kick out of the Showbiz Show with David Spade. It's one of the funnier shows on Comedy Central right now.

I saw them do something similar to Val Kilmer and Roabert Downey Jr when there movie(?) came out awhile back. I forget who he said Downey was, but I do recall him identifying Kilmer as Jeff Bridges at the end. It was pretty good.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Rene-
Me too! I hear some people complain about him, but, personally I always thought he was funny. I think it's the sardonic delivery that I relate to.

Oh yeaaah. I know what movie you're talking about. It's called Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (based on the novel by Brett Halliday) is coming to DVD on June 13. I've been wanting to see it!

That's too funny. Jeff Bridges. LOL! I love it when they take the actors down a notch with humor. Never ceases to make me laugh!

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.