Thursday, May 11, 2006

McMakeover


I'm probably behind (again) on blogging about this, but have you seen the new images of McDonald's new makeover? *After 30 years without a major design overhaul, the 51-year-old fast-food giant is adopting a hip new look. *BusinessWeek's words, not mine.

I've included some images here. Go here for the full story and/or to see more pictures of the future interiors of a McDonald's near you.

And never fear, apparently good ol' Ronald McDonald himself is getting a new "eXtreme" makeover too. Click here for the full story.

Personally, I'm skeptical. This may have gone over well in Australia, but I just don't see American McDonald customers being remotely urbane enough to keep the momentum of such a contemporary interior going for very long. And while I'll always be a sucker for good design, I also don't see the McDonald's crowd "hanging out" and reading...anything (and yes, I eat there too sometimes, so I can say that with a clear conscious). I give any upholstery on those "hip" new chairs/couches, a shelf life of 3 weeks before they start looking like McTurds. Eh, who knows. Maybe I'm underestimating the general public...but somehow I doubt it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carpeting??

In McDonalds?!?!

Oh, that is SUCH a mistake!

Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cheryl-
Oh man, I totally forgot to mention the carpeting. Yeah, it should be looking turdtacular in now time too. You're so right: Kids + Food + Carpet= Bad idea!

Terri-
Sweet! Sounds nice! I like they they are getting away from the molded plastic thing, but in a way it almost seems unnatural for a McDonald's to look "upscale" and/or hip.

Friday, May 12, 2006 6:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.