Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Recent DVD Purchases


The Mary Tyler Moore Show: Season 2. © 1971
What's New Mr. Magoo? Mountain Man Magoo. Vol. 3. © 1977
Comments: I found this little gem at a library book sale a few weeks ago. I didn't even know Mr. Magoo was on DVD! Apparently this is just one of 3 volumes! The DVD contains 6 episodes, one of which is a "haunted house" episode. Those are my favorite! Retro fun!
A Man Apart. © 2003
Comments: Whenever I go to Fort Worth I always pass this pawn shop off the freeway that I can never seem to figure out how to actually get to. Well, I finally did last week and boy was I glad! Not only were their DVDs $5 (not unlike most pawn shops now), but they also had a HUGE selection in another case, all priced at...ONE DOLLAR! Woo Hoo! The cool part was that they weren't all the usual cheap dollar store fodder, but actually big-name titles released by major companies. Very cool indeed. This was one of those $1 DVDs. Vin Diesel for $1? I'm so there!
Moving Violations. © 1985
The Cheap Detective. © 1978
Comments: One of my favorite movies of all time! I've been wanting this DVD for years, but it never seemed to go below $14, and that was used! Had to snatch it up recently when I saw it on Half.com for $6.
Thumbsucker. © 2005
Four Brothers. © 2005
Comments: Another $1 DVD. I've been meaning to rent this one, but why rent when you can buy? Turns out, it was a really good movie. Though the movie's setting was contemporary, it felt like a good old-fashioned 70's movie. GREAT soundtrack. I will definitely be buying the soundtrack.
Brokeback Mountain. © 2005
Mona Lisa Smile. © 2003
Comments: Another $1 DVD. I don't know why I like this movie so much. I think it has something to do with the whole "shaking up the system" schtick. Also, Kirsten Dunst plays a terrific bitch. Again, another great soundtrack!
The Addams Family. © 1991
Elizabethtown. © 2005
The Giant of Marathon. © 1959
Comments: Steve Reeves. Need I saw more? ROWR!
Sinbad of the Seven Seas. © 1989
Comments: You know how I love me some Lou Ferrigno! Double ROWR!
The Forsaken. © 2001
Comments: Another $1 DVD. I've never seen this movie but there is so much eyecandy in it (Kerr Smith, Brendah Fehr & Johnathon Schaech), that I couldn't resist! God, Kerr Smith is just too damn HOT! Triple ROWR!
Jarhead. © 2005
Comments: Love me some Jake Gyllenhaal! Quadruple ROWR!
The Money Pit. © 1986
Modern Problems. © 1981
Comments: I hate the cover that the people at Anchor Bay came up with for this DVD release. Just awful, right down to the font. Why can't these people just leave well enough alone and just use the original poster art instead of wasting money and resources on a shitty cover in an effort to make something old "new" again? I've posted a picture of the original poster art, which to be honest isn't all that great, but is heads and tails better than this new abomination.
Thank God It's Friday. © 1978
Wild Palms. © 1993
Comments: GREAT early 90's TV series. Hurray for cyber epiphanies! If you are a fan of the surreal (think Twin Peaks meets Rosemary's Baby...kinda), rent it if you get the chance!
Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber. © 2005
Comments: Another $1 DVD (thank god). I only bought this because Joey Lawrence is in it and has a shaved head. Something about him is super hot, but at the same time he is majorly producted-up, even when not in character. He's one step beyond metrosexual.
Cinemania. © 2002
Comments: *See this post
Just Like Heaven. © 2005
Silent Rage. © 1982

3 Comments:

Blogger Dennis! said...

When I was a kid I got busted for watching "Modern Problems" on HBO. Only because my mother happened to walk in on me during the scene where he gives a woman an orgasm when he's not even in bed with her. Of course, I had no idea what was going on with her because I had no idea what sex was at the time, but my mother sure knew!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Dennis-
LOL! I remember seeing it in the theater. I was, what, eleven, at the time? Anyway, what I find amusing is that all the stuff that parents would pitch a FIT over today, didn't phase me in the least. I think parents give movies a little more influence than they actually have. The ballet scene with the inflatable crotch and the bedroom scene where Chevy sniffs the voodoo powder, cocaine-style, didn't bother me either. I was much more disturbed by the nosebleed scene in the restaurant. LOL!

Also, I didn't even realize until decades later, that the whole book signing scene was filmed in a leather bar. LOL! So naive I was.

AND, you gotta love Nell Carter as Dorita. LMAO! I just love that name. It's always stuck with me.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Modern Problems is one of Chevy Chase's most overlooked movies.

Forsaken is actually pretty decent too. I only watched it when it came out on DVD because I was working at a video store at the time and it was free. Not the greatest, but much better than Dracula 2000.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.