Monday, September 05, 2005

You Stink, Carol Lin!

Okay, I don't want to get into a whole discussion about the New Orleans/Katrina situation, how it was handled, what's going to happen in the aftermath and/or who's to blame. Frankly, the last thing I need is another headache and to have to justify, defend and/or validate my opinions. However, possessing the obsessive personality that I do, I have been watching a lot of Headline News, MSNBC, CNN and TXCN. And though I could have blog material for days about everything from Richard Simmons getting on his Jesus stick on CNN to Anderson Cooper's obvious attempt at a dramatic turn in front of the cameras (Note to Anderson: There are no Oscars for news anchors. Let's leave the drama to Hollywood.), I won't. However, I was so disgusted at CNN news anchor Carol Lin for her blatantly obvious attempts at coercing interviewee, T.D. Jakes into an opinion he didn't seem to share (or least didn't want to discuss), that I feel compelled to blog about it. Here's the transcript:

(Prologue: Regarding the Kanye West statement on live TV: "George Bush doesn't care about black people." Clip plays and...)

CNN News Anchor Carol Lin: Wow. I mean that was a shocker. You know this weekend I spoke with bishop T.D. Jakes and he saw and heard what Kanye West had to say and in an interview you'll only see on CNN, I asked this megapreacher if he feels the same way: (cuts to interview)

CNN News Anchor Carol Lin: Bishop Jakes thank you very much for joining us. I don't know if you've had a chance to heard (*Yes, she really said "heard" instead of "hear.") but Kanye West (*Personally, I was like "Who?" I'm assuming it's the latest flavor-of-the-month.), one of the biggest Hip Hip artists of our time went on television last night and said it to the people straight, according to him George Bush does not care about these people. You have seen the scenes outside of the New Orleans Convention Center. You've seen the politicians glad handing and congratulating each other. What is your opinion, I know you don't like to get political but you have to have such strong emotions when you see these scenes.

T.D. Jakes: I have huge emotions about it. I think what happened is an outrage to this nation. Every American should be embarrassed and demand answers. Where I do draw the line is at making assumptions. I think that we should demand answers and get clear direction as to what went wrong. It is obvious that something went wrong. The issue remains as to what, as to why it went wrong. Either there is some racial disparity here that we really need to deal with or we are disorganized. Either one of them is unacceptable. If we are just genuinely disorganized and it had nothing to do with the fact that they're poor or nothing to do with being black, then the only thing left is that we're disorganized.

CNN News Anchor Carol Lin: (interrupting him) Alright, let me take you one at a time Bishop Jakes, 'cause I just wanna get clear in my own head that what you think about what Kanye West said last night. I mean here Kanye West goes on national television and he says George Bush does not care about these people. It's undeniable the pictures that we're watching.

T.D. Jakes: Well yes, the pictures are undeniable, but the question remains as to why. And we have not gotten clear answers as to what happened and I'm not sure that Kanye knows either but we're certainly concerned as we want some clear answers as to who is to blame. But the primary issue today is to get help to the people out there. I'm down here in Dallas where we're inundated with thousands and thousands of people who are still not in safe conditions.

CNN News Anchor Carol Lin: (interrupting him AGAIN) Mr. Jakes though most of the people that we're seeing in dire need are African American do you think that there are racial overtones to how quickly the government responded to this crisis?

T.D. Jakes: Frankly, again, I really don't know whether there are racial undertones to it or not...

CNN News Anchor Carol Lin: (interrupting yet again) What do you think? What do you think when help is not coming for DAYS for thousands of African American people who are huddled in masses outside the Convention Center...

T.D. Jakes: Again reiterates about the focus should be on helping the people right now.

Like I said, I'm not going to get into the whole racial thing, but I found Lin's tactics reprehensible. You scumbag. You deserve to be punched in the face with an economy-sized can of Aqua Net, you sensationalist bitch. Shame on you for provoking an already volatile situation. You suck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part about the "Kanye West" incident is how deer-in-the-headlights Mike Myers looked...

But, uh, really, who the fuck is Kanye West?

I, obviously, do not watch enough MTV.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were watching the same thing at the same time....scary. I couldn't get my eyes off her hair? Does it always look like that?

As far as El Presi-squinty liking "black people", you better believe the only ones he likes are as white as Kinda Sleazy Rice...Name courtesy of Ratboy's Anvil.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

News anchors are constantly trying to provoke people instead of reporting these days. That, or they report stories in a detatched, uninterested tone like Aaron Brown (douche bag). The neews has turned into trash. I also enjoy the dinks that come down here for the storms just so they can get cool footage of themselves pretending to be brave by standing in the rain in coats with hoodies that mentally challenged kids wouldn't even wear. Thanks journalist mongoloids.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 4:56:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Kris-
I hear ya. And make that BET not MTV. ;)

Princess Wild Cow-
You know, I dunno. I kept thinking of that line from Steel Magnolias, when I was looking at her hair: "You can't mess up her hair, just tease it and make it look like a brown football helmet."

Speaking of El Presi-squinty, check this out, it cracked me up and made me think of you.

Rene-
I couldn't agree more. The news hasn't really been the news for years. Now it's all about scare-tactic exposés and sensationalism. Sigh.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.