Thursday, September 01, 2005

Get a Load of These Big Balls

I realize that National Library Week has already come and gone, but this is just a little reminder to visit your local library. They have all kinds of great stuff there. This has been a public service announcement.

Where I live, we have multiple branches of the library. My favorite branch is just down the street from me. I like it because it's small, cozy and relatively child-free. However, on this hot, Saturday afternoon, I chose to go to the main branch of the library, which is located in the "old" area of downtown Arlington. I also love this branch, but for different reasons: 1- The building is two stories high, so I like to sit on the second floor and look out the window. 2- I love the basement. So dark and cozy. And 3- It's where the annual Friends of the Library book sale is held!

Now it's time to give you what you come here for: To listen to me complain. I get to the library, go upstairs, find myself a secluded desk with a view and set up shop. I've come to catch up on all my correspondence: Letters, (yes, some people still actually write them by hand!) cards: birthday, sympathy, thinking of you, etc. and bills. The whole purpose of coming to the library is because it is supposed to be a quiet haven where I can concentrate and get things done.

Well, it used to be anyway. What do I get subjected to for 2 hours? Someone's child crying, periodically letting out bursts of noise to hear her voice reverberate off the walls of the open space and general tantrum throwing. My question is, are all parents fuckin' void of any common sense any more? Yes, yes, I realize that the library is for "everyone." I know because as a child I loved going to the library. But then I also knew that it was a place to be QUIET and going there warranted that. Obviously, parents today are completely devoid of any parenting skills, instead choosing to pretend their child doesn't exist instead of either removing them from the space, setting boundaries BEFORE going inside and/or (my personal favorite) leaving them HOME altogether.

I will never understand why the concept of a babysitter is such a foreign concept to parents today. My parents sure didn't drag me every goddamn place they went, and I'm glad they didn't. Some of my fondest memories are of my babysitters. Sure, we did other things together. The difference is my parents had enough common sense to know when NOT to drag me along. Just because you're a parent doesn't mean that you're joined at the fuckin' hip with your child. Children don't need to go everywhere adults go: grocery shopping, the movies, the library, etc.

You can try and justify it 'til you're blue in the face: "But, they're my child. I'm their parent."..."We're bonding. It's quality time."...etc. Whatever. All I know is that even though you think you're moppet is wonderfully "creative/vocal/active," the rest of us NORMAL people who were brought up right think you're an ignorant cocksucker devoid of parenting skills. And finally, yes, I realize that children are a necessary evil. All I'm saying to parents is take someone else besides yourself into consideration when you are out in public. Oh, and you suck. That's all.

Whew! I feel better now. Blogging is so cathartic. Now onto the photos:

[1] My penchant for organization extends to my library lair.

[2] Whata great view I have from my desk at the library!

[3/4] One of a series of huge stone spheres at the Municipal Building across the street from the library parking lot.

[5] Videos! Love the classics! Gonna rent The Awful Truth on my next visit. Need to buy the DVD.

[6] Checked out: Django Reinhardt: Vol. 2: 1938-1939 © 2001
Comments: For more music from this artist, go here.

[7] Checked out: Artie Shaw & His Orchestra: Begin The Beguine (Bluebird) © 1990
Comments: For more music from this artist, go here.

[8] Checked out: Bessie Smith: The Essential Bessie Smith © 1997
Comments: For more music from this artist, go here.

[9] Checked out: Live Fast, Die Young: My Life With James Dean by John Gilmore. © 1998

[10] Checked out: To Have and Have Not. © 1944

3 Comments:

Blogger Samantha J. said...

I agree with you and i think parents should leave there child at home when they go to the library or wait and bring them when they are old enough and not throwing temper tantrums and cryin' and screaming!!! Oh and the grocery store 2! I was working one morning and this lady came in with her 2 kids and her little boy was soooo loud and yelling. I just wanted him to shut up! but ya know i cant say anything so all i could do was distance myself from the noise! Just leave the kids at home if possible!!!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

I'm not in any excusing those terrible parents who have no respect for others and think the whole world should be their kids' living room.

But whatever happened to the good ol' librarian coming over and telling people who are being noisy to shut up or leave? Where were they instead of doing their job? And as a user of the library, you are allowed to complain, and to ask them to do something about it.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Nccountry-
I am so glad you "get" what I mean about the grocery store. It probably sounds like "crazy talk" to those who put children and anything they do up on a pedestal, but it never ceases to baffle me as to why a parent (usually the mother) would drag their kids along for the ride. And I don't mean ALL children, but you know what I mean. There's a certain age limit. You know the type. The ones who go apeshit in the toy aisle...cereal aisle...cookie aisle....basically any aisle. The ones who cry, throw tantrums, unleash a cacophony of whines, screams, tanrums etc. over anything and everything. What's the fuckin' point of them being there? Let good ol' dad take charge of them for a change, so mom (and the rest of us) can shop in peace. Why should the rest of us have to listen to it just because mom's on autopilot and doesn't give a shit?

Mariana-
Oh ho ho, trust me, I have brought stuff like this to the librarian's attention in the past and let me tell you, nothing comes of it. Like most people who deal with the public today, they are too big of a passive pussy to approach these people. They'd rather you get mad and just leave, rather than have to say something to the "parent" (and I use that term loosely). It's the equivalent of me asking for help at a store: I don't even bother anymore. 9x outta ten the stupid assholes don't know any more than I do and I can get the job done a lot faster without some deadweight shadowing me. Precisely the reason I never ask for help at stores. EVER. What's the point of asking if something is in stock or information on it, when I can read the goddamn box or look with my own eyes? Like I need some asshole to retrace my steps and mimic the exact same thing I've already deduced on my own. Frustrating. It's the American way!

Sunday, September 04, 2005 6:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.