Saturday, June 04, 2005

I'm Your Private Dancer

For those of you who aren't familiar with BlogExplosion, it's a site that helps you to promote your blog, as well as discover new blogs by surfing. There's a point system in place that issues 'credits,' which you receive for surfing other people's blog. As of May 27th, you can win credits for participating in their newest features: Blog Rocket and Battle of the Blogs. You can then use these credits to either battle some more or to rotate self-promotional banners for your blog. Their latest feature, Battle of the Blogs is the focus of today's post.

A quick explanation of how Battle of the Blogs works, courtesy of BlogExplosion: Members set up a challenge then wait until another BlogExplosion member accepts their challenge. A 'challenge' consists of a member wagering anywhere from 10-100 credits.

Once a challenge has been accepted 9 other members vote for both blogs. The person with the most votes wins the challenge and gets 75% of the total credits wagered. The 9 members who have voted on who is the best blog split the remaining 25% of the total credits wagered.


Apparently a few people who can't handle the high adrenaline world of blog battling are all up in arms over people (yours truly, among others) who solicit votes in the BlogExplosion chat room (AKA the "Shout Box"). Anyway some of the "bloggers" who lost the BOTB are gettin' all bajiggity about their loss and blogging about how soliciting votes is "cheating." Lol! There are even screen captures to show my malicious, soliciting ways. I won't be hyping them or their blogs with hyperlinks here, but if you feel the compulsion to read them, I can e-mail you the links. Oh, and if you check out yesterday's post, you can read a comment left by one of The Sour Grapes Bunch.

The irony of it all is that the ones who are complaining about it the most, have only been blogging for a few months anyway. So why get all worked up over something that you'll most likely end up abandoning anyway (trust me, I've seen it happen all too often)? Maybe if they'd focus those short attention spans on actual content, instead of bemoaning the fact that they lost some goofy credits that don't even have any monetary value to begin with, maybe they'd do a lot more winning and a lot less whining. Somehow though, I still have my doubts.

So, in closing, if you want to experience the drama for yourself, get ye over to BlogExplosion ASAP! The cast of Falcon Crest is waiting. Or should I say the cast of Degrassi Junior High? Whatever the case, I think someone needs a nap and a refill on their sippy cup.

P.s. I just won a battle and I didn't even solicit votes this time. It just goes to show you...I am a svengali. Deal with it.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aye, matey. It be only fitting that ye tell someone to go and vote for a battle. Ye be gettin' them points! An' being a polite soul is occassionally rewarded... rightly so!

Saturday, June 04, 2005 2:48:00 AM  
Blogger RagDoll said...

I'd like to dedicate "Cry me a river" by Justin Timberlake, cuz like, it's ONLY CREDITS FOR CHRYSSAKE!

By the way, I VOTED FOR YOU! ha ha ha!

Saturday, June 04, 2005 3:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Offhand...I think it's a bit pathetic to beg for votes, but what I see is the real problem is groups of friends getting together and quick-clicking themselves against all comers. As a result, the little contests last a couple of seconds and it's impossible for anybody to read and compare the blogs.

Which was kinda the whole purpose.

Saturday, June 04, 2005 7:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this explains a lot. I am in BlogExplosion somewhere, but pretty much ignore it. A few days ago I got an email from somebody saying "I'm calling you out for a blog battle!" When I wrote back and said I had no idea what they were talking about and wasn't interested, they replied with an email packed with such profanity that I struggled to actually find a coherent sentence in it. This made me curious, so I decided to visit their blog... which had ten entries, all made in the last three days. What is there to vote on?

Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A blog battle? Sorry, the whole concept sounds too high school-ish for me---especially if people are emailing others with profanity like Dave2 mentions.

Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger ShellBug526 said...

I think soliciting votes is a great idea, wish I would have thought of it!!

Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhahahahah. oh.. *tear* whew. ok. um. yea that was funny.

I can't believe someone took the time to take screen shots. Where the hell was I when this was going on jeez lol

Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you'd have to be a really small person with no life outside of blogging to get all huffed up about Battle of the Blogs like that. Honestly, there is so much immaturity in the blogosphere.

Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Captain Jeff-
I agree...I think. It sounds good to me! Besides, America was founded on solicting of votes! Isn't that how politicians do it?

Thanks for droppin' by and commenting! :)

Ragdoll-
You make me so proud *wipes tear away from cheek a la the 70's litter Indian* God bless you child. ;)

Jay-
Oh Jay, you crazy aardvark, you! Doncha know it's all about nepotism and appearances? Just like the real world!

Thanks for commenting! You rawk!

Dave2-
Lol! Precisely my point. The ones making the biggest stink over it, have only been blogging for maybe 3 months, and in those 2 months, wrote 10 posts. Lol! To that I say "Whatever, dude!"

Janine-
You're right. It is pretty inane, but it's just for fun, a fact that most have overlooked in the name of machismo.

Thanks for commenting! :)

ocb-
Oy vey. Scary ain't it? Maybe they are in training to be secret shoppers for Blockbuster. Who knows? Who cares? I'd tell them to get a life, but then I'm sure they hear that enough from their parents...whom they still live with.

Thanks for stoppin' by and commenting! :)

Jatser-
I couldn't have said it better. I've had my fill of cyber drama.

Thanks for commenting! :D

Thursday, June 09, 2005 6:28:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.