Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Rednecks in a Stink Over Pink

Well, what initially was just going to be a passing mention, turned into a full-blown post. I'm talking about TVLand's special tonight, Tickled Pink. The synopsis of the special is fairly straightforward (no pun intended): A celebration of gay and lesbian culture on television. Think of it as a gay version of We Love The 80's: misc. celebrities reminiscing about various classic TV shows, with a gay twist. It comes on at 10PM, then repeats at 1AM (check local listings for time and channel).

I was merely going to mention it because of the novelty of it and because I thought it'd be interesting to see which shows they discuss. Then I made the mistake of going to the TVLand website (to copy and paste their synopsis of the show). That's when I stumbled upon the TVLand forums. Oy vey. Right on cue, the Right Wingers swooped in to voice their individual opinions (I was under the assumption they were of one collective consciousness...not unlike The Borg). Here's a sampling of what good ol' red-blooded Americans had to say:

The post that started it all:

This makes no sense -- what is this doing on TVLand???? How is this "classic" television?

• You are SO RIGHT! ...So sad and disgusting.

• Well put. I'm in complete agreement. It's been some time since I've felt that TVLand was really concerned about quality TV, like they used to be. And they're getting worse. Would a boycott for June 1 help?

• There is nothing 'classic' 'bout Tickled Pink. It should tickle itself to an early death so we can enjoy REAL classic tv, like Leave it to Beaver.

• And look what they died from. That should ge enough to click a light on in somebodys brain.

• I have written an email to TVLand complaining about the MTV commercials which, to me, are offensive, but of course I got no reply. I know MTV now owns TVLand ... but I do not like the direction I see it going.

• Bring back the CLASSIC and leave the "enlightining the masses about homosexuality" (it offends me that the homosexual community has perverted the word "gay" from its original meaning of joyful and happy) and "irresponsible sex" (my way of viewing so many of the new shows on so many tv channels) to the people who want to see it on the MTV channel -- and on a similar topic, I don't think the majority of TVLand viewers are interested in it - if they are, they know where MTV is on their dial so no reason to push their ads down our throat.


Sad, ain't it? Sad and pathetic...and ignorant...and typical...and... It makes me wonder if they people are seriously living in some kind of vacuum, if they think that there weren't gay characters actors/actresses in classic television. Puhleeeze! What's the big deal? And those are just the CHARACTERS, I'm not even touching on the actors, actresses and production people. Hello, Bob Mackie! Funny how bigotry never seems to go out of style. Typical fuckin' hillbillies.

7 Comments:

Blogger weenie said...

Haven't these people ever heard of a 'remote control' which they can use to switch channels if they don't like what's on tv??
Came across your blog on the blog explosion rocket! :)

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger weenie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger Riss said...

HELLO... Peter Brady!!!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also Charles Nelson Riley, that sitcom with Billy Crytal (Soap?), Tony Randall, Maude....just off the top of my head. I never understood how people could put so much energy into complaining when they don't even have to watch the damn channel.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

How do these people have time to rail against TV shows when it's NASCAR season?

PS. congrats on your whupping of my ass on Battle of the Blogs :)

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's rednecks this time - this is older white collar people who want to drink their cocktail and stick their heads in the sand. They hail from Pleasantville where the world really is as black and white as they want you to think it is.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Weenie-
First off, I love your weenie dog! Whatta sweetie! If I ever commit to having a pet again, I am seriously considering a weenie dog or a Pug (after all the hoopla dies down).

Here here! My sentiments exactly. That's my philosophy on so many things, whether it's art, books, etc. If you don't like it, don't look at it, but son't expect everyone else to do the changing just because YOU'RE a drama queen.

Hurray! Blog Rocket DOES work! I've discovered A LOT of great blogs there lately too!

Thanks for droppin' by and commenting! :)

Riss-
Well, he WAS a Sunflower Girl and was labeled a "songbird" at football practice. Looking at how he turned out, I'd give him some kisses! ROWR!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Jason-
LMAO! I totally forgot about that! Not to mention those "holidays" they love celebrating so much, like Memorial Day, Flag Day and the 4th of July!

I just lucked out. Trust me, I've lost PLENTY! You were a worthy opponent!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

P.s. I LOVE Brak!

Easywriter-
Thank you! I appreaciate that! What a nice compliment! :)

Kachina Crowe-
You totally have a point. I just choose to label them all hillbillies/rednecks. It's a timesaver, really. It sums up their mentality and a nice mental image.

But you're right, there are a lot of people out there that love their gas-guzzling SUVs, shopping at Walmart and think a night out at The Olive Garden constitutes a 'good weekend.'

Thanks for commenting! :)

Clublint/Deb-
Of course. Why do you think shows like Survivor and American Idol have lasted so long? Lol!

Monday, June 06, 2005 12:56:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.