Friday, June 03, 2005

The Dallas Police Department is Hardly Donna Summer

Recently on the local news, there was a report about how the city of Dallas' police department was in the process of considering/passing a ruling that they would no longer take the time to respond to what they consider "petty crimes."

According to their statistics, they received 104,529 petty theft calls last year alone (roughly 8,700+ per month). These thefts include: cell phones, stolen bikes and highway trash (i.e. something large in the road/highway that could affect traffic). Their reasoning behind this thought process is that they "just don't have time to handle these sort of things." Instead, the victim of the crime would be responsible for filling out their own crime report and filing it with the police department.

Well, first off, I don't live in Dallas, so this isn't going to affect me either way, UNLESS this gets passed and the Arlington police department thinks they can get away with it too. Secondly, I say "Tough tacos!" I have to agree with Dallas resident, Chad Waldrop, who responded by saying "I don't think they should put the responsibility on us. That's their job." Here, here! It's not like these people are volunteers that aren't getting paid. They claim they'll have more time to "work their beat," thus solving more crimes, if they are allowed to bypass this part of their job. To this "reasoning" I say "Bull hockey!" I watch the news and read the newspaper. The city's crime rate was the highest among nine U.S. cities, including Houston, with more than a million residents for the seventh consecutive year in 2004, according to police statistics.

Most of the crimes reported involved burglaries, auto break-ins of similar nonviolent property theft. But the city's murder rate crept up to No. 2 among the cities, with 20 murders per 100,000 residents, behind only Philadelphia, which reported 22 murders per 100,000 residents.

Comment if you are so inclined.

7 Comments:

Blogger M said...

So, it's not like they're saying they won't go after criminals responsible for petty crimes, but just don't want to take care of the paper work?

Have you ever seen a police officer file a report? I have. I wish I was making this up, but I actually re-read and re-wrote and corrected all the mistakes he had made -- that's how poor his mastery of the language was.

Just like you, I don't think ordinary citizens should be doing that kind of work either, but only for the very simple reason that I don't trust them not to make any mistakes either. It should instead be done by people competent to do it, like trained secretaries or something.

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it may be the 8 years I spent in NY and NJ but I got all sorts of disturbing images in my head of what "highway trash" could be heh.

Friday, June 03, 2005 3:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Mariana.

Just think of the time saved and "real" police manhours you could put towards solving the crimes if the people involved in the case could read the facts and reports?

The sad thing is that if you talk to any cop they will tell you that the chases and solving crime is about 30% of their job and paperwork is the rest of it - if it was such a huge part of the day I would think they would be good at it by now.

Friday, June 03, 2005 8:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must agree with you Kirk.

Also, I enjoy photos taken of a TV screen, for some reason, especially news shots. Theres something cinematic about it in a retro way. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so. Oh well.

Friday, June 03, 2005 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What she really means is that she was chatting with you in the shoutbox when you were begging for votes, and thought she'd say hi.

How do you win with this blog?

Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
To me, it comes off as a little of both. If they're not going to take the time to do the paperwork and talk to the victim in person, I don't hold out much hope that the report will ever be followed up on, much less "solved."

I totally agree. I hadn't even thought about the ramifications of private citizens trying to fill out and file their own crime reports! Can you imagine? I think the police are counting on people not taking the time. Like people don't have enough to do what with work, their family, etc. Ugh.

LOUP-
Good point! (re: being good at paperwork) Again, I think it's just another case of passing the buck.

Rene-
Thanks, Rene. I mostly take pictures from the screen because I think it helps bring some

Girl Pants-
Howdy! Thanks for droppin' by and sayin' "hi!" You make great banners! :)

Chris-
It's called content. Plus, it helps that I'm an extremely wonderful and gifted individual (not to mention extremely humble).

Thanks for stoppin' bye and whining anonymously! Now go empty your diaper before you get a rash.

Monday, June 06, 2005 1:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Rene-
Doh! I forgot to finish my response to you. Derr. As I was saying, I use images I photograph from the television for multiple reasons, mainly though, so that people have a reference to what I am blogging about and also because sometimes the images on TV are the only ones available that I really wanna use.

I'm glad you like 'em. I like 'em too! :)

Monday, June 06, 2005 5:56:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.