Thursday, June 02, 2005

Art Archives

A few weeks ago, I commented on Gatochy's blog about being inspired by one of her posts about a collage artist who has her own blog, called Scrapatorium. I mentioned that I would post some of my artwork here on my blog, since I too enjoy collage. Of course, mine are nowhere NEAR as cool as the great ones at Scrapatorium, but then we both have different styles. I'm still debating whether or not to post my (in retrospect) very lame "book" that I made for bookmaking class. It was a big hit at the time (though some found it "disturbing"...feh...pussies). The assigment was to incorporate images of ourself into a book ABOUT ourself. My work has never been what one would consider "upbeat," so looking at the individual pages now, they all seem to be screaming "I'm suicidal and I wish I were dead!" If it's something you wanna see, lemme know and I'll scan 'em. Either way, it's no big deal.

I don't generally name my artwork, unless I must (as was the case when I was in college), nor do I generally "explain" it. It seemed like every time I displayed my collages or showed people my portfolio, they inevitably wanted to know why I used this particular image, or why I chose the images that I did, etc. I like to leave it up to the viewer's imagination. It can be whatever you want it to be. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. At the risk of sounding pretentious, that's just how I feel when it comes to art "interpretation." I've been around way too many "artists" who take themselves waaaaay too seriously and feel compelled to come up with some long-winded, cathartic (a word once used by one of my professors to describe by artwork!), faux-deep explanation. It is what it is.

[ Click Images For A Larger Version ]



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very nice work. I think I'll poke around in here and see if I find any more. I especially like the hands around the arm.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

Very surrealist and creepy, nice. And I vote you show us the book you made for bookmaking class. :)

Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:01:00 AM  
Blogger girlzoot said...

I vote for seeing more. Cool stuff.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:35:00 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Here's another vote for you to show us more.

Interesting work!

Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger Scrapatorium said...

I'm very flattered that you included my name in your blog. I love your collages and also put in my vote to see more!

Friday, June 03, 2005 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Suzi-
Thanks, Suzi. Actually, this is the first time I have posted any of my artwork on my blog. What spurred me to do it now is because I'm thinking about starting up again (with my art).

Funny you should mention the 'arm' one. Believe it or not, that was considered "controversial" when I first showed it. I couldn't understand why at first, until someone said it looked like a swastika. That never even dawned on me! Lol! I was just trying to show motion. Weird how things manifest themselves.

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it! :)

Mariana-
Thanks, Mariana. I LOVE surrealism (my favorite surrealist artist is Max Ernst).

I'll be posting my bookmaking class project next Thursday. Oy, is it awful! Lol!

Girlzoot-
Thanks, girl! I'm in the process of trying to find some of my other artwork. It's kind of been scattered over the years.

Wordsrock-
Thank you, Suzanne! I appreciate the kind words. More coming next week.

Scrapatorium-
Wow! I feel like a celebrity just signed my autograph book! Seriously, I LOVE your work! I find it very inspirational. It inspired me to start collaging again!

Thanks for the compliment! I consider it an honor, coming from someone whose work I love! :D

Monday, June 06, 2005 1:06:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.