Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Recent DVD Purchases

I don't remember if I've mentioned this little foot note in the past or not (Keep in mind that I'm not getting any younger), so if I have, just disregard the next paragraph.

I own a lot of movies on both VHS and DVD. By no means would I say that they are all GOOD movies, though there are a lot. I purchase a movie for many reasons and one of those reasons is visuals. Of course, I own a lot of my movies because I genuinely enjoy them and/or they conjur fond memories. However, there are scenes in all my DVD/VHS movies that I'd love to capture and print. I long to create a giant photo album of stills of my favorite scenes from movies. Most wouldn't be anything that you'd see in a promo of the movie and/or press book, but I love them just the same. And then there are some movies I own simply because I find a particular actor beautiful. For example, one of my latest DVD purchases was Kiss Me Monster. It's by no means a good movie. It's one of those badly-dubbed Italian sexploitation movies of the 60's. However, it has some deliciously-bad imagery and that's why I bought it. So, if any of you ever check out my DVD collection and think to yourself "Why-in-the-hell would he own _________? It's just awful!." Trust me, I know. But not everyone sees things the way I do either, so don't assume that any taste I may have is strictly confined to my mouth.

I <3 Huckabees [2004]
• Whistle Stop/Detour: Film Noir double feature [1946/1945]
The Philadelphia Story [1940]
13 Going On 30 [2004]
Alfie [2004]
La Dolce Vita [1960]
Echo Park [1986]
Dominick and Eugene [1988]
Secondhand Lions [2003]
Kiss Me Monster [1969]
Footloose [1984]
Hardcase and Fist [1989]
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle [ 2004]
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow [2004]
Saved! [2004]
Buying the Cow [2002]
Starship Troopers [1997]
Toolbox Murders [2003]
The Legacy [1978]
Second Sight: Series 1 &2 [1999-2000]
Monster Man [2003]
Stingray: The Complete Set (Not pictured) [2003]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own a few of these myself, so who am I to criticize? But... BUYING THE COW?!?? I rented it because I'm a serious Ryan Reynolds fan, but even that couldn't save it for me.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:43:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

Why Echo Park and Dominick and Eugene? Are you a Tom Hulce fan?

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:39:00 AM  
Blogger Princess Wild Cow said...

I truly understand Starship Troopers...but "Sky Captain...?" Apparently my medication hadn't kicked in enough to get me past 15 minutes. Love ya!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Philadelphia Story is one of my favorite.movies.EVER!!

I love Secondhand Lions as well. = ) Those old guys remind me of my daddy.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a few of those myself. The Footloose DVD has one of the most gay-tastic commentary tracks from the producers that I've ever heard! The Kevin Bacon is alright too.

Saturday, May 07, 2005 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Dave2-
Dave, Dave, Dave. Ryan Reynolds + nudity= instant classic. Lol! To be honest, I hadn't (and still haven't) even seen the movie when I bought it. However, I remember seeing stills from the movie, ages ago, and hearing all the hubub over the scenes where Ryan Reynolds gets naked, so that alone made it an instant purchase. Like I said, a lot of my choices in movie purchases are purely visual in nature. Think of it as the "Swordfish" of DVD purchses (i.e. Halle Berry's titties)

Mariana-
Yes! I love Tom Hulce. At one time I even had a little bit of a crush on him. Plus, both movies were on sale NEW for like $3. Besides, if you have never seen Dominick & Eugene, you're missing out on a really good movie. I enjoyed it a lot. I remember catching it on cable, ages ago. Good stuff! But beware...it'll make you cry.

Sarafenix-
Oh Sarah, say it ain't so! You may find this hard to believe, but that movie was the first movie in a LONG time that got me excited about movies again!

As you know, I am SOOOO not a fan of the cop-out known as 'CGI.' I think it's way over used these days (Can you say An American Werewolf in Paris?), so I was more than a little comprehensive going into Sky Captain. However, for me, the CGI was much more than a quick-fix and much more a style. Like Neo Noir. I really loved the 40's-style pulp period of it all and the overall look.

Loup-
Me too! I love almost everything I've ever seen Katharine Hepburn in. My friend Derik can't stand her, but she's been in too many of my cinematic favorites:
-Bringing Up Baby
-Holiday
-The Philadelphia Story
-Woman of the Year
-Dragon Seed
-Undercurrent
-Desk Set
And the list goes on and on. And I'm glad to see that someone else loved Secondhand Lions as much as I did. I think you're the only person I know, besides myself, that has seen it. Michael Caine and Robert Duvall MADE the movie for me. I even loved their younger counterpart's adventures. I found myself wanting to see THOSE made into a movie. They were such great ol' curmudgeons! I LOVED it!

Rene-
Lol! Gaytastic! I bet! I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary yet, but I too love the movie. And I am SO not a musical fan and have zero interest in ever seeing the broadway version. However, I'm hooked once I see the dancing feet at the opening credits and hear the music. Good stuff!

Sunday, May 08, 2005 8:15:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.