Thursday, April 28, 2005

Amy Sedaris Meets PETA

I just love Amy Sedaris. For those of you who may not be familiar with the 35 year old comedienne, she portrayed Jerri Blank on the cult television show Strangers With Candy, which aired for 3 seasons on Comedy Central. Jerri Blank was a 46 year old high school dropout. After a life that included prostitution, drugs and nefarious other criminal activity, her last arrest spurs her to start getting her life back on track. She does this by moving back home with her father, stepmother and half brother, as well as re-enrolling back into her old high school. And yes, for those who may be wondering, she is the sibling of hilarious author David Sedaris.

I don't have to tell you just how incredibly brilliant the show was. It was the first show since Twin Peaks to competely engage me. It was surreal, dark, hilarious and unlike anything I had seen on TV. Ever. It completely crossed the line on morality, reality and good taste. Naturally, I embraced it. It was like an After School Special on 'ludes. The entire cast was brilliant. A movie based on the TV has finished wrapping up and was a hit at Sundance, recently.

I was recently made aware of an ad campaign that Amy did (as her character, Jerri Blank) for PETA, "What Becomes a Loser Most?" Though I've yet to encounter anyone associated with PETA who wasn't either a holier-than-thou-type incapable of tolerating/respecting any other person's choice, other than their own, I'm all for being humane to animals, it's just that guilt trips and drama aren't necessarily effective on me, however noble. That aside, their ad campaign, spoofing the "What Becomes a Legend Most," vintage pro-fur ads of yesteryear is nothing short of inspired. They're hilarious. More proof that Amy is still the cat's meow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strangers With Candy was a funny, funny show. I can't wait to watch the movie. David Sedaris is a great, funny writer. Although, I have to admit I've only read one of his books Naked.

Oh wait, I should add some quotation marks and a comma to clarify things.

Although, I have to admit I've only read one of his books, "Naked."

That's better.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 7:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I (heart) Amy Sedaris! One of my prized possessions is an autographed photo of her french kissing a dog. She wrote on it "Pee on me!"

Friday, April 29, 2005 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Marvo-
Lol! I'm kinda slow, so it took me a while before I 'got' your comment. You crazy werewolf, you!

Timmy Ray-
That's awesome! Wow. I am seriously jealous! I just love her. She cracks me UP! I love that quote on one of the pictures you posted on your blog, the one where she is sporting an afro, that says: "I like feeling in shape. I've always done some lame little floor exercises in my apartment, you know, something really queer." LMAO!

Saturday, May 07, 2005 7:12:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.