Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Currently Reading...

Speaking With the Angel Edited by Nick Hornby. © 2000

This book of left-of-center short stories by contemporary authors is a great read. My personal favorites (so far) are Department of Nothing by Colin Firth and Nipple Jesus by Nick Hornby, whom you may be familiar with via his books that have been made into movies: About A Boy, Fever Pitch and High Fidelity.

And Colin Firth, you may be familiar with from his role in the Bridget Jones films.

An entertaining read, perfect for those long lines at the post office, during lunch or before going to bed.

The Joys of Aging and How to Avoid Them by Phyllis Diller.© 1981

I love Phyllis Diller. Always have. She's the queen of self-deprecation and can always make me laugh when I am down in the dumps. If you're not a fan of her style of humor, then you may find some of her work dated, but I say good satire is timeless. I own some of her other books as well: Phyllis Diller's Housekeeping Hints and Phyllis Diller's Marriage Manual, both of which I enjoyed reading as well.

The book has illustrations throughout. Here's one of my favorites:

0 Comments:

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.