Monday, April 04, 2005

My OCD Came C.O.D.

I recently noticed a disturbingly anal-retentive habit that I have. I say recently, but actually I've always kinda of been somewhat aware of it. It explains a lot, actually. I documented it so you can vicariously experience it too.

First off, I am one of those kind of people that likes to approach a task in a way that will be the most beneficial for everyone, be it time, effort and/or logic. I think everyone has their own little ritualistic ways of getting things accomplished, whether they realize it or not. I realize it. I also realize that my 'process' is considered "OCD," 'cause as everyone knows, everything has to have a label today or it's unsettling for others. With that said, look at these photos and I'll explain one of my pet peeves:

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten behind someone in line at the grocery store who opts to just throw the contents of their shopping cart willy-nilly onto the conveyor belt, with no regard for the person behind them. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, this is no big deal, but it drives me batty.

Photo 1- Here we have your typical straight man's tactic (or lack thereof) for unloading his cart. Had he just exerted a little effort, it would have sped up the process threefold: (1) Had he unloaded his cart logically, this would have allowed the person behind him (namely me) to lay down a plastic divider and begin to unload my groceries while his purchases are being rung up, so as to be ready for immediate checkout once he's paid and left. (2) The clerk wouldn't have to advance the conveyor as many times, thus giving him/her more time to actually be scanning said items. (3) Speeding up the process for the other people in line behind me.

Now that's not rocket science is it? Should I even have to be explaining how to unload a shopping cart? Isn't this shit just common sense? You'd think so, but apparently it's not. And what's with the fuckin' cart he's holding onto? This ain't freeze tag. The cart is not "base" pull the motherfucker up and to the other side of yourself, so your groceries can be loaded into it. Think you can handle that, Jerry Garcia?

Photo 2 & 3- Here are my purchases. We both had the same number of items: 12. See how his cart's contents take up the entire length of the conveyor belt? Mine took up half and left space for the next person to begin unloading their basket.

Now allow for me to deviate from the topic for just a second and complain about another pet peeve of mine. When exactly did the grocery industry become the second home to Special Olympians? What's that about? All the local grocery stores have their own Corky brigade and it never fails that I get one of them. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten home with frozen food items and magazines and/or Kleenex boxes put into the same bag. WTF? Now my Kleenex boxes and magazines, both, are warped. Sure, sure they're sweet and don't do it on purpose, but I was under the assumption that these people were trained and somehow capable of basic skills, thus the job. And don't even get me started on the mix-n-match grab bags I've come home with: canned goods, boxes, produce, all in the same bag.

Here's my thought process when it comes to unloading my shopping cart: [1] Utilize the space, [2] Put like items with like, when placing them on the conveyor belt: Refrigerated/frozen items in one bag, boxes in one bag, soft/fragile things in another. The reason I do this is because it helps whoever ends up bagging my groceries, not to mention everyone else waiting in line behind me. That's not too convoluted of a thought process is it? Call me crazy, but I call it common sense. Maybe it's just me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you are not alone. Though I arrange my items neatly on the belt for entirely different reasons.

I do it because it gives me the illusion of order and control in a world filled with chaos and distraction. I don't give a crap about the people behind me.

Monday, April 04, 2005 2:47:00 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Our local evening shift member of the corky brigade knows exactly how the items must be packed and will take as much time as he needs to get it perfect. Of course no one ever says anything like, "could you hurry up"

Monday, April 04, 2005 5:57:00 AM  
Blogger Princess Wild Cow said...

I thought WE were separated at birth until I read dave2 and realized I'm with him...Help us all!

Monday, April 04, 2005 8:35:00 AM  
Blogger Samantha J. said...

Baggers don't go through any training (not that i know of), i didn't, but i know it takes common since on what to put in what bag with what other items. Some people that i work with just don't have any common since when it comes to bagging other's groceries.

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really have the OCD thing goin' on. I organzie my cart too ... cold stuff here, frozen stuff there, fragile in the kinderseat, bulky stuff underneath, nothing is just dumped in the cart either ... I don't know why I do it. But like Dave2, it isn't to be considerate of people behind me it just makes me feel better.

Monday, April 04, 2005 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

First off, to everyone who responded: Thank God you 'got' where I was going with this. I was expecting the hate mail to pour in.

Dave2-
Face it, Dave, you're a rebel and you'll never ever be any good. ;) Lol! I know what you mean, though. I can relate. On the other hand, I am one of those people that always has a stopwatch implanted in my head. I concern myself way too much with other people and their lack of patience. And knowing this, I know that if I get into a confrontation with someone, that as a response to my rising blood pressure, my heart will implode. If you don't believe me, just ask the woman I "supposedly" side-swiped and ran off the road, after she cut ME off in traffic, then proceeded to taunt me with her relentless flipping of the bird. Oopsie.

Rich-
Your Corky brigade kicks ass then! We have one little Asian girl who looks like a cross between Ralph from A Christmas Story and Marcy from the Peanuts cartoon strip. She's sweet as can be, but I'd have better luck getting the nearest amputee bag my groceries.

Sarafenix-
That's evolution at work, Sara. We're all evolving into more kindler, gentler nation. :^p Lol! Whatever.

Nccountry-
I didn't know that. See? That's what i love about the comments feature. I learn something new every day. I seriously assumed, what with the corporatization of America that surely they had to sit and watch a 30 minute video on the rights/wrongs/pitfalls/safety hazards of correctly bagging groceries. And you are so right, it all boils down to one thing: Common sense. Doi! Amazing how some people manage to live as long as they do, isn't it?

Loup-
Thanks to the Internet, I just keep discovering more and more soulmates, and you must be one of them. That's ONE good thing that can be said for the kinder seat: It's a great place to put your carefully-chosen produce and/or greeting cards, magazines, bread, chips, etc.

And I can SO relate to the whole process making you 'feel better.' Here, here! Me too!

Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:12:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.