Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The I Inside

First I must preface this entry by saying: Ryan Phillippe is hot. Now, about a month ago I was very excited to read that Ryan Phillippe's latest movie, The I Inside was premiering on The Mystery Channel. Since it was coming on so early in the morning, I set the VCR to record it while I slumbered. The next day I settled in to watch it, expecting great things.

Well, I kinda got what I was hoping for, but I also kinda got confused.

I made the mistake of reading reviews about it before I saw it and had gotten the overall impression that it was "predictable." Now I've seen a lot of thrillers and I have to admit this one had (has) me stumped.

Here's a synopsis of the film: A young American (Ryan Phillippe) wakes up in a hospital bed suffering from amnesia. A doctor informs him that he's been involved in an accident, which claimed the life of his brother. He then meets his wife, who's actually his lover. Then he meets his real wife, who's actual his nurse. Slowly he begins to remember fragments of his life: a love affair, an argument, a murder. Closing his eyes, he looks inside himself to search for his true identity. When he awakes, he finds himself in the same hospital, only two years earlier, leaving him to question what's past and what's present. Adapted from screenwriter Michael Cooney's murder mystery play Point of Death, and directed by Roland Suso Richter, The I Inside takes the viewer on a nightmare journey through the distorted memory of one character, filled with dark corridors and sinister figures, leaving the viewer, like the character himself, questioning who can you trust, in a world where nothing is what it seems?

Sounds simple enough, right? Well, me no get it. That's not to say I didn't like the movie, though. It had a great look to it, and Ryan Phillippe was at his dreamiest since I Know What You Did Last Summer. I also am a fan of Stephen Rea and liked the concept of one of the actresses (Piper Perabo) playing duel roles (not unlike John Lithgow in another favorite of mine, Raising Cain... well actually it was multiple roles).

With that said, be sure and check it out, since it premiered on DVD March 8th. And if you do, let me know what your take on the ending is. It'll help put my mind at rest.

0 Comments:

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.