Friday, January 14, 2005

December DVD Purchases

Here are the DVD movies I purchased and/or was given in the month of December.

Amelie. 2001
Comments: Visually beautiful film. Makes me wish love really worked this way.
Ararat. 2002
Comments: The lead character, played by David Alpay is beautiful. Love the curly hair.
Dark Waters. 1944
Comments: Merle Oberon is in one of my all-time favorite movies: The Divorce of Lady X, so this being a suspense/thriller, it was a must-have.
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. 2004
Comments: Vince Vaughn looks like perfection in this movie. Gorgeous.
CKY4: Latest & Greatest. 2002
Comments: Ryan Dunn is beautful, as always.
The Guru. 2002
Comments: Great Bollywood-inspired musical scenes. Love the updated versions of Hindi music. Also, the guy who played Vijay in the movie, Emil Marwa looks beyond HOT in this movie. I can't find a picture of him from the movie, so I will have to post one later. Trust me, he looks good.
Dopamine. 2003
Comments: The first time I say John Livingston in Ellen DeGeneres' box office bomb, Mr. Wrong, I thought he was gorgeous. He still is.
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. 2003
Comments: The only reason I own this DVD: Sean Astin & Elijah Wood. Besides, it just cost $4.
His Girl Friday. 1940
Comments: Love Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell.
Popcorn. 1991
Comments: I remember seeing this movie with my friends Vickie, Steve and Arlesha, back in 1991. Good times. Fun movie.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Essentials:
'Manos' the Hands of Fate. 1966
Comments: Wow. If it weren't for MST3K, I honestly couldn't sit through this movie. It may sound weird, but it seriously gives me a headache, it's that bad. Even with the aide of the MST3K gang, it's still kinda makes me sick. I think it has something to do with the repetitive beat of the music.
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. 1964
Comments: A Christmas tradition. Though, I must admit I prefer the equally cheesy Santa Claus, this one also has it's merits. Especially once Tom Servo and Crow get a hold of it!

Silver Streak. 1976
Comments: Enjoyable, but not as funny as I remembered it. Still love Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, though.
Troop Beverly Hills. 1989
Comments: One of my Shelley Long guilty pleasures.
The Perfect Score. 2004
Comments: Just like the review says: "The Breakfast Club" meets "Oceans 11." Fun movie. The Asian guy is hilarious.
Glory Daze. 1996
Comments: Ben Affleck. Always beautiful.
The Wraith. 1986
Comments: My friend Nathan gave me this movie for Christmas. 80's-licious!
The Perfect Husband. 2004
Comments: Dean Cain looking beautiful.
Deathstalker/Deathstalker II. 1983/1987
Comments: Another gift from my friend Nathan. Used to have a big crush on John Terlesky.
Pranks (AKA The Dorm That Dripped Blood). 1981
Comments: The cover, like most new DVD "cover art" today, sucks. I originally rented this movie under the title The Dorm That Dripped Blood, and much prefer it's poster art (shown) to the new craptacular cover. Great slasher with one of those endings that you will either love or hate. I love it.

The Marx Brothers Collection:
Comments: My friend Derik bought this for me, for Christmas! Can you believe it? I've been wanting it ever since it came out, but have just not gotten around to buying it. LOVE it!
A Night at The Opera. 1935
A Day at The Races.1937
A Night in Casablanca. 1946
Room Service. 1938
At the Circus. 1939
Go West. 1940
The Big Store. 1941
Comments: I love all the movies, but The Big Store is one of my all-time favorites.

Rundown. 2003
Comments: The Rock. Eyecandy. $4. Enough said.
Moby: Play. 2001
Comments: I don't care what Eminem thinks, I still like Moby and his music. Some great videos on this disc.
The Dreamers. 2003
Comments: Visually beautiful movie. Plus, I have a strange attraction to Michael Pitt, which kinda unnerves me.
Prick Up Your Ears. 1987
Comments: One of my all-time favorite "based on a true story" films. Ranks right up there with The Young Poisoner's Handbook, The Krays and Heavenly Creatures.
Felix the Cat Saves Christmas. 2004
Comments: Visually kitschtacular. I didn't even mind that Dave Coulier ("Unce Joey" from Full House), a person I absolutely cannot STAND, did the voice of Felix.
"Shag-O-Rama" (Original title: The Linguini Incident). 1991
Comments: One of my all-time favorite "under the radar" movies. The new cover is total and utter shit. Repackaged around the height of the Austin Powers phenom, to lure in that demographic. The original title was The Linguini Incident, and the original cover art was leaps and bounds better than this new craptacular title/"artwork". I highly recommend this movie. See it, if you can find it. The cast is quirky and hilariously brilliant: Rosanna Arquette, David Bowie, Eszter Balint, Marlee Matlin.
New Year's Evil. 1981/The Boogens. 1982
Comments: It's official. Nathan ROCKS! He made me this DVD-R double feature and dropped it off on New Year's Eve. Complete with tons of horror trailers! He's just too cool. I'll be writing more about The Boogens in a later post, and if you can read more about why I love New Year's Evil by clicking here
One Crazy Summer. 1986
Comments: By the people who brought us Better Off Dead, another hilarous movie starring John Cusack, who oddly enough, I don't particularly care for much after the 80's. Love his sister, Joan, though! She's awesome! Heh... I said 'awesome.' Make that totally awesome, dude! :^B
D.O.A.. 1950
Comments: I love film noir, and this one that's always easy and inexpensive to find.
[Not pictured]

• Santa Claus. 1959
Comments: Another DVD given to me by Nathan, for Christmas. Love this movie made in Mexico. How can you not love Santa Claus trying to defeat The Devil? It's just too good. Poor, poor Lupita!
• Jack Frost. 1979
Comments: One of my favorite (and long lost) Rankin-Bass claymation movies. Another gift from Nathan.
• Santa and the Three Bears. 1970
Comments: Nathan's favorite Christmas cartoon. Another gift from Nathan.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED Amelie. I don't know anyone else who has actually seen it! The main actress is in a new film also. :)
Chana
www.bunnyburrow.com

Friday, January 14, 2005 12:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I also loved Amelie. I guess I was skeptical of it because I don't really enjoy reading subtitles.

Also, so THAT'S what Dean Cain has been up to!

Friday, January 14, 2005 1:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the Marx Bros. silver screen box set for christmas. It has Duck Soup, The Cocoanuts, Horse Feathers, Monkey Business, and Animal Crackers. I guess I'll have to get the other box set and own them all.

Friday, January 14, 2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Chana-
I also was pleasantly surprised by Amelie. I thought it might prove to be too syrupy for me, but it wasn't. I enjoyed the way the upbeat message was delivered in such an eccentric and whimsical way.

And speaking of her new movie Un long dimanche de fiançailles (A Very Long Engagement) looks really good, too. AND if you are a fan of thrillers, you MUST see her in Dirty, Pretty Things (I bought the DVD) and He Loves Me He Loves me Not. Good stuff!

Anonymous-
Yep! That and playing Nancy McKeon's ('Jo' from The Facts of Life) love interest on The Division. He's always pretty, Wish he'd slip into a leotard again for a Lois & Clark movie. ROWR!

Norrin-
Cool! Since I already had those from the first time they were issued, this makes my set complete. For me, anyway. There are a few of their movies I don't have, but the ones I DO have are my favorites. Gotta love Groucho!

KIMESTRY-
Glad to see someone else besides myself enjoyed The Guru. It kind of came and went at the theaters, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

BTW, I am currently working on getting some screen captures of 'Vijay' to post at a later date. He's so cute! He needs kisses.

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

Terri-
I'm so happy that someone else sees the merits of this fun movie. You are SO right about the children of the world scenes. LMAO! Those faces, those songs. And what body language! Rigor mortis anyone? Classic!

I'm still laughing about the "shooting Santa out of a tree" comment! ROTFL! So nuts, but in a good way. They sure don't make anything like that anymore.

Sunday, January 16, 2005 1:32:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.