Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Damn You, Jiminy Cricket!

Last month I blogged about paying a visit to my perpetually complaining neighbor, Ms. Fossil. I mentioned various elements of our conversation, but neglected to go into detail about 2 particular elements. This is one of them. I'm still working on blogging about the other one.

So, while we were talking I bitched about how, since my house is at the end of a street, where there's a stop sign, that at night time, it's really annoying when people deliberately sit there and shine their lights directly in my windows (den/computer room). I know what you're thinking "Um, it's a stop sign, they HAVE to sit there. Duh." This is true. HOWEVER, there is one car in particular (I assume it's the same person, I can't be for sure) who deliberately sits there and shines their lights into my windows. It may sound paranoid, but I know it's deliberate. It's a long story, but trust me, it's deliberate.

So, before I can finish bitching about it, she interrupts me and says "You know what?" And I, thinking she's going to tell me something about the people who sit at the stop sign, so I bite and say "What?" Instead she tells me: "You know when you leave at 3 o'clock in the morning? Whenever you do that, the headlights from your car wake me up every time." My response: "Really? Hmm." Then I proceeded to finish telling her what I was talking about. You may think this sounds mean-spirited, but allow me to explain my side of the story.

First off, yes, I do occasionally leave the house at all hours of the day and/or night. I am a night owl and therefore I am often awake and doing things when most people are asleep. This means, checking my P.O. box, grocery shopping, mailing things, going to get something to eat, etc. I prefer to do my grocery shopping at night, since the store is not so crowded and I don't have to be potentially "datelicious."

Initially, for a while, I tried to watch when I left the house. I even tried to back out of the driveway with my headlights off. However, since my driveway backs directly onto a busy street, this proved to be way too dangerous and also way too dark. However, when I came home, I did turn off my headlights before I pulled into the driveway. My point is I made an effort.

Here's the crux: Ms. Fossil's bedroom windows have both curtains and mini blinds. Both of which she never chooses to close. I could kick myself for not having the forethought to ask her if she'd tried closing her blinds, when she initially mentioned that this was all a big problem. So, my standpoint is if my headlights are so terribly disruptive to her, why not reach out that frail lil' arm and let down/close the mini blinds/curtains? I've been living here for going on 8 years now and this is the first I've heard of it. Personally, I think she thrives on finding things to complain about (i.e. my tree branches, my leaves, etc.) I know it's uncharacteristic of me, but it's kinda bothering me as to whether or not I'm being unreasonable. Sometimes I can't tell. Let me know what you think.

5 Comments:

Blogger Webmiztris said...

yup.

She sounds like a nutjob to me. Why have blinds if you don't use 'em?

Great blog, by the way!

Dawn (webmiztris)
webmiztris.diaryland.com

Wednesday, January 05, 2005 5:05:00 PM  
Blogger Black Pearl said...

how do u get your pictures in your post like that?
~Monique~

Wednesday, January 05, 2005 9:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Webmiztris-
Yeah, I'd pretty much drawn the same conclusion. During the same visit we also discussed how she was a "daylight" person and I was a "dark" person. In other words, she's the type that loves sunshine. She likes to have every curtain in every window in her house open, so the sunshine can stream in and she can skip and twirl and pirouette throughout her home from dusk until dawn. While I, on the other hand, prefer a darker house. One where every room doesn't resemble an operating room or the main floor of Office Depot. I'm weird like that.

Thanks for the kind words! I checked out your blog and you're hilarious. I can SO relate to the 'old people + eBay/fear of technology' thing. Sigh.

Thanks for stopping by!

Monique-
Well, first I prepare them (i.e. make a collage, put text on top of, etc.) in the Photoshop program, then I just use some basic HTML to place it within the body of text, and that's about it.

Thanks for droppin' in! :D

chyleppr- (via BlogExplosion)
Thank you! That's how I feel about it too, but I wasn't sure. I have a tendency to overthink about situations sometimes. I'm glad to see I wasn't the bananas one here. And you're exactly right: if her eyes are closed in the first place, how the hell DOES she notice the light? It's not like I have those onsanely bright new halogen headlights. Geez. I agree, I think she just needs to get a life.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you liked the photos! The squinting cat pic cracked me up, too.

Thanks for stoppin' by! :D

Thursday, January 06, 2005 2:41:00 AM  
Blogger Cheeky Prof said...

Well, I don't think you're being unreasonable but then again, I may not be the best person to ask. I'd be feeling just like you. Wanting to say "Listen bitch, close the damn blinds" while at the same time still being pissed about lights in my own window. Oh, and for what it's worth, I do believe you that it's deliberate because that's the sort of shit that would happen to me. (I also have some asshat neighbors, but that's another story.)

Thursday, January 06, 2005 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cheeky-
Hooray! Another vote in the 'Me' column! I'm glad I'm not the "asshat" in this situation. I'm sure she loved me leaving at 5:57AM this morning to take advantage of McDonald's 2 Sausage/Egg Mcmuffins for $2. Wheeee!

CL-
Oh God, CL, I, too feel YOUR pain. I can SO relate to that. I used to work with some sandy snatch with a pulse who was also very "high maintenance" for lack of a better term. I feel like once you reach a certain age, work with other people and crossover from being difficult to "high maintenance," it's time for you to retire before someone shoots your tires out.

I love the irony of the fact that the "dust" seems to bother her so much, yet she doesn't see the connection to wearing enough perfume to pickle a small army.

And you totally hit it on the head about Ms. Fossil being miserable. I mean, I'm sure aging has a certain degree to do with it, but the majority of it is of her own making. She SO needs to get a hobby, a roommate, some dong or something. Seriously.

Saturday, January 08, 2005 12:23:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.