Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Quickie Penne Pasta Recipe

Have you O.D.'ed on turkey and dressing? If so, here's a really great little recipe that I recently 'invented.' It requires 3 ingredients: Frozen meatballs ($6), penne pasta (.89¢) and Del Monte's Green Peppers and Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce ($1). I have experimented with various frozen meatballs and Rosina is the winner, hands down. Of course, you're welcome to use another brand or even make your own, I just use the Rosina brand because it's convenient. The same goes for the brand of penne pasta. The only thing that really brings it all together is the Del Monte Spaghetti Sauce. Total estimated cost: $8 and it provides multiple servings, and coming from me, that's pretty good. I can usually get 5-6 servings out of this one recipe, but then it depends on how hungry you are and/or how many people you are trying to feed.

Anyhow, the recipe is simple. I use the one pot method, as it cuts down on dish washing and there's really no need to use multiple pots/skillets. Place about half a cup of water in the pot and add about 20-25 meatballs, frozen or thawed, your choice. Then I add a dash of fresh ground pepper and onion salt and put on a medium heat. Once the meatballs have cooked, place them in a separate dish, keeping the remaining water in the pot and filling within a finger's length from the top. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta. Cook until desired tenderness. Drain.

Now while the pasta is cooking, I used to slice the meatballs into fourths. Now I just use scissors, which may sound weird, but it's SO much faster. Add them to the drained pasta in the pot and pour in 1 can of Del Monte's Green Peppers and Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce. Stir over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Optional toppings: Parmesan, black olives and/or grated green bell pepper. It's SO good and so easy. If you try it and like it, let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger M said...

My favorite side dish when I eat anything Italian is broccoli, because I love it with tomato sauce, yummy. BTW, did you get my card yet?

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 5:09:00 AM  
Blogger Princess Wild Cow said...

Here's my favorite pasta dish...had it last night...
frozen shrimp (can catch on sale), pesto, garlic, onion, and cherry tomatoes. Start pasta boiling, take tails off shrimp and run under cold water to defrost, olive oil in pan with garlic and onion, saute on low, when soft add pesto, mix up, add shrimp just to heat up, toss with pasta and mmm-mmm good. It is also one of those recipes that knocks peoples socks (or other pieces of clothing) off as it is just yummy!

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Princess Wild Cow said...

oops, throw in the cherry tomatoes at the last minute and just warm them up, too, then toss with pasta and put whatever toppings you like...you can use any vegetable in place of the tomatoes...Kirk says, "is she done yet?" Yes, I'm done.

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Gatochy-
Hmmm. I like broccoli, but it's one of those vegtables that I prefer raw (like carrots and radishes), BUT serving it with tomato sauce does sound kinda good to me. Kinda like Okra and tomato sauce? (if you like ochra. I do!)

Yes, I did get your card. Thanks so much! Believe it or not, it was one of the few I did receive. It was a much welcomed surprise! Thank you! :)

Sara-
Ooh, now that sounds gooood! I loves me some shrimp! But you know what? Though I've heard the term in the past, I never quite know what a 'pesto' sauce is. I'll have to look that up for clarification. The only alteration I would have to make is to lose the 'maters. I've never been much on whole tomatoes. I love the various sauces, etc., but as a whole or raw, freaks me out. I might use red or yellow bell pepper, though. That might be good. I'll have to try it out and let you know.

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Tuesday, January 04, 2005 4:11:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.