Monday, December 27, 2004

Count 'em if You Got 'em

Well, I hope everyone who celebrates Christmas had a good holiday. I know I'll sound like a bummer saying this, but I always get a little blue the day after. Like there was this huge build up to something that never quite came together. I mean, sure, I had an enjoyable Christmas, but afterwards there's a little part of me that's left feeling lonely. I guess, like with most things I look forward to, I put too high of an expectation on "events." I have this mental photo of how I anticipate things turning out that just never seems to develop.

Anyway, my point is this. I love this photo. Whenever I am feeling a little blue or some self-pity, this photo always makes me smile and helps to put things into perspective and realize how blessed, for lack of a better word, I am. I've had a clipping of the photo for years, but not too long ago I found a book at one of the book sales I went to this fall, which had the photo inside as well: The Best of Life (Magazine). It's a really beautiful book (just 75¢ at Half.com), which is filled with hundreds of photos ranging from 1936-1972. The caption beneath the photo reads:

A New Possession
A 6-year-old orphan from Austria ecstatically embraces a brand-new pair of shoes just given to him by the Red Cross. (Photo by Gerald Waller)

Think about that next time you think you have problems.

2 Comments:

Blogger SG said...

Thanks for this, Kirk. I think it's a natural thing to have a bit of the boxing day blues. I know I do too. This photo DID brighten my day :)
Happy happy happy 2005!
xxoo

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

SG-
I'm so glad you found the merit in this photo. Isn't it strange how a 1 dimensional object can emote such feeling. I just love it.

I hope your 2005 is filled with wonderful people, places and experiences!

XOXO
-Kirk :)

Tuesday, January 04, 2005 4:03:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.