Monday, October 25, 2004

The Good, the Bad and the Blah-g

Since I've joined BlogExplosion, I've been doing a lot of surfing of blogs via their point system (I love to use em' in conjunction with the banners that promote my blog). I've "blogmarked" plenty of good blogs and I've also seen WAY too many bad blogs. "Bad" by my standards, that is. Everyone has their own pain threshold.

The two most overwhelming themes that I've noticed have been [1] Angry Republicans and [2] Women with children. Since I just don't get that worked up over politics, I can't really understand why someone would choose to write solely about something as lackluster as politics. I guess the same could be said for my blog and why I write about utter nonsense. I guess it all boils down to what you enjoy, which is sort of my point: Where's the joy? Yeah, I know that sounds kinda fruity and verges on the Pollyanna-ish, but it's a valid question. I enjoy my blog because it's fun, not because I'm out to convert someone to my way of thinking. Relax that sphincter, people!

The majority of the pro-Bush blogs come across really angry and bitter, with absolutely no tolerance for any opinion other than their own (and people wonder how stereotypes are born). The things they find "outrageous" and/or "unethical" is a never ending source of amusement for me. Most of the political/religious rhetoric is the same old schtick we've all been hearing for years, which just goes to prove that bread's not the only thing that goes stale. Some people will be forever ignorant.

Personally, I don't really have any interest in how people vote and/or their opinions on relative things like politics or religion. Since I don't work on commission, I'm also not all that interested in "converting" anyone and/or "enlightening" strangers. I feel the same way about politics as I do religion: Don't try to convert me and I won't pretend you don't exist. It's futile to argue with me, 'cause I'll just leave you there to be enchanted by the sound of your own voice. Life's too short to waste it arguing. I can be just as stubborn as the next person.

I actually like the fact that some of the people whose blogs I enjoy reading, have links to mine (and vice versa) DON'T share my opinions. What differs between them and the angry folks out there is they can accept/tolerate, the fact that we're different. Period. No drama. No big production. I subscribe to the "If you don't like it, don't look at it"-theory.

Don't get me wrong, for every bad blog there's a good one (karma's like that). I have at least 20 blogs bookmarked over at BlogExplosion. I just wish I could get their damn URLS, so I could add them to my Blogs list. One of the few drawbacks to BlogExplosion.

My point is, there are some bad blogs out there and there are some good blogs out there. I've compiled elements of some of the ones that made me laugh (unintentionally, I'm sure), cringe (at the ignorance/drama) and roll my eyes. One of the funniest ones was a "conservative teenager" blog. Yeesh! I guess the growth spurt didn't include his psyche. Oh well, at least his testicles finally dropped. Don't bother asking me for the URLS and/or the blog's names, I've already wiped my memory of them. Anyway, I'm sharing them with you, here at My So-Called Strife. Think of it as a public service. And be sure and tune in tomorrow for Part 2 of today's blog rant. Enjoy!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more... (except the not being interested in how people vote part, I have a bit of a thing about people taking democracy for granted... however, you can 'care' without being a dogmatic freak! :) )

Re: the angry bush bloggers, read the first part of this about the open letter project, over at my joint.

p.s. I've never used the blogmark thingamijig that BE has... I just right click a post permalink>hit open in new tab/window and bippety-boppety-boop, it's yours!

Sam

Monday, October 25, 2004 3:45:00 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I've been thinking on the preponderance of mommy blogs and political rants. I understand why there are so mommy blogs they have the time during the day to spend on the computer so they blog about the focal point of their day, the child, as a sort of social outlet for being trapped with the child all day.

Still I usually take a pass on the Mommy blogs. Boggers, Diapers, cutesy stupid stuff, not that intersted.

The politics confuse me they all seem to think they can change the outcome of the election.

Monday, October 25, 2004 5:03:00 AM  
Blogger pylorns said...

I liked the little graphical collage (sp) of sorts very funny. Really the first things I look for in a website is design. Eye candy. How much time an effort did the author put into their site?

If your going to push your site and advertise it for people to read, why not make the site look nice enough and not like EVERY OTHER BLOG.

my 2 cents.

Monday, October 25, 2004 2:43:00 PM  
Blogger ShellyS said...

I blog about politics on one of my blogs, but I don't like reading about it, unless the other person agrees with me. :)

And I hate getting stuck for 30 seconds on a blog I don't like or one of those business ones or blog directories. So I usually have another browser window open and sneak over to it to check email or my Bloglines subs when something like that or a blog I'm already reading regularly, like yours, comes up.

Monday, October 25, 2004 8:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Toni!

Thanks for the tip on how to access the URLs via BlogExplosion! That totally helps! I learned something new today, thanks.

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:22:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Sam!

Oh, I totally hear ya on the taking democracy for granted. I was just blogging the other day about how it irks me that some of my friends who CAN vote, DON'T vote for some excuse or another. If you truly want to vote, you can figure something out.

I actually already read that letter, via the link on YOUR blog just the other day. Lol! Just one of the many reasons I linked your Blog. I also get a kick outta Boris. He's neat!

Thanks for the info on how to access the URL on BlogExplosion (also how I happened upon your blog), Toni also pointed out another way and I am happy to say BOTH work for me. :)

Keep up the great work and thanks for stoppin' by!

-Kirk :D

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:27:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Rick,

Believe me, I hear what you're sayin' about the mommy blogs. Not being a big baby/child fan in the real world, I'm not much of one in the cyber world, either. It really depends on the blog's contents for me. If it's funny, realistic and not overly gushy, I can handle it. It really boils down to whether or not the content interests me.

And speaking of interesting me, nothing interests me LEAST than a strictly political blog. Hell, I wouldn't even be breaching the subject if it wasn't an election year and we weren't in a total clusterfuck. Politics just don't interest me. It's all well and good to be informed, but going off on some tyrannical tangent about who's right and who's wrong just isn't my bag, baby.

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi CL!

I hear ya about the political stuff (*see reply to previous comment). I see SO much of it on everyone else's blogs that I feel like "what am I gonna bring to the table that hasn't already been said?" Besides, all I can do is vote and hope that things turn out as they should. And if they don't, I'm not Cher, I can't turn back time, so why get worked up over it. I just REALLY hope we don't have another ballot nightmare like we did 4 years ago. Gah!

I never noticed about people on BlogExplosion not updating, but I definitely agree about the whole "10,000 blogs listed" claim. I've gotten on there to surf sometimes and maybe see 6 blogs before it tells me I have seen all the blogs there are to see and to come back later. WTF? But I'll admit one guilty pleasure... winning those "mystery points!" YEE HAW! It's like playin' the slots in Vegas! I've won 266 total, so far. The 25 points are my favorite, naturally. So if you see my blog banner again and again, you'll know why. Lol

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:42:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi pylorns!

After looking at your profile, I realized I have your blog "blogmarked" over at BlogExplosion. How kooky is that? I find it interesting that the blogs I like, eventually wind up here at some point. GMTA, I guess.

Thanks, I'm glad you like my collage, as you can see, I do quite a few of them from time to time. I find it a lot easier to upload one collage as opposed to multiple images. I know what you mean about design and content, those are also some fo the things I look for. I'm partial to the ones that have pictures of things people have seen and/or places they have been. I guess I'm a voyeur at heart.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:47:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hellllo Shelly!

Lol, I have to admit, I do something similar, when I come across a blog that doesn't interest me: I read on whatever book I'm reading and see how far I can get before the 30 seconds is up -OR- cut out coupons or some other less-tedious activity.

SO many times, I come across blogs I have seen time and time again, so if I wasn't interested the first time, not much is going to change the 6th or 7th time I see it. Too bad you have to stay for the whole 30 seconds, even on the ones you've already seen.

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My pet peeves include unbearably poor grammar and spelling. The mommy blogs are particularly annoying because 90% of those women will complain about how they have no time to take a shower or do laundry or clean the house because they're so busy writing their blogs...er...raising their children. :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Ian MacAllen said...

You are completely right about everything. The only thin I can think of is an Angry Republican Blogger got all his friends to use Blog explosion [and a mommy got all her blogging mommy friends to use blog explosion] and it just seems like there are a lot of these groups

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Ian!

After reading your blog "Aborted Post" I felt compelled to add you to my Blog list. I am SO there with you, you just don't know. I just finished reading a mommy blog about how truly "gifted" some woman's daughter "Mariah" (or whatever the hell her name was) is for her age. How she can play quietyly and take a bath all by herself. Wow! Stop the presses! ...yeesh. And the best part is, at a mere 7 years of age, mommy's already grooming her to be a cheerleader. YAYE! ...not. I seriously used to wonder if having children lowers your I.Q. Thanks to this article (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1095426.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery), I no longer have to wonder.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:06:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.