Friday, July 16, 2004

Mental Goulosh

A lot of random things have been swirling around in my head lately, so today's blog is gonna be a potluck dinner for your mind. Dig in!

Read an interesting little article in Reader's Digest, entitled "Fight The Energy Vampires," and thought it was so good I would share it with you: They're everywhere--people who make themselves feel better at our expense. "But, if we're prepared, they won't have power over us," says Judith Orloff, psychiatrist and author of Positive Energy. Here's how to deflect the vampires as they strike:

CONSTANT TALKER- Scenario: Your airplane seatmate wants to talk politics--for the whole flight. Solution: Say, "That's interesting, but I hope you understand this is my time to relax. I need to read now."
THE DRAMA QUEEN- Scenario: To your co-worker, losing $1 in the vending machine is the end of the world. Solution: Say, "I'm sorry that happened-I hope you can work it out-but I need to get back to work."
KNIFE TWISTER- Scenario: A "friend" consoles you after a bad date, saying, "Maybe you're setting your sights too high." Solution: Minimize your contact with that person. At the least, tell her/him, "That was hurtful. Please don't say things like that to me." Then recognize the insults for the insecurity that they show.

One of my all-time favorite shows, Strangers With Candy, starring one of my favorite people, Amy Sedaris, is going to be made into a movie! I'm so psyched. Here's the brief article released by the Associated Press:

David Letterman's Worldwide Pants Inc. is producing its first film, an independent feature based on Comedy Central's cockeyed cautionary tale, "Strangers With Candy."

Amy Sedaris played a middle-aged dropout who returns to highs choolin the TV series, which ran from 1998-2000. The film also stars "Strangers With Candy" co-creators, writers and stars Steven Colbert and Paul Dinello.

The film, which has the working title, "Strangers With Candy: The Movie," is being directed by Dinello.


Believe it or not, I actually had some money yesterday, so I went to my favorite bookstore and picked up a few books to keep me entertained for a while. They are: The Film Noir Style by Alain Silver & James Ursini (tons of great images), Going, Going, Gone: Vanishing Americana (items that may not be around much longer. Again, GREAT retro images) and last but certainly not least: Slowpoke: Cafe Pompous by Jen Sorensen (hilarious topical cartoons).

Saw a great documentary on STARZ! True Stories channel, last night, called Last of The Mississippi Jukes. It was a close look at the disappearing venues where rural blues originated. If you like the Blues, then you will enjoy it. The music was great, and fortunately there's a soundtrack available. You can also buy it on DVD. It's scheduled to play again on Friday, July 23, and twice on Tuesday, July 27. Check your local listings for time and channel.

Not to be missed!

Heard this REALLY queer commercial on the radio the other day. It was SO sappy, I originally thought it was a joke and was anxiously awaiting the punchline, only to find out it was a REAL commercial. Here's the synopsis: The announcer starts the ad by saying "Expressions of love" (Is that bile I taste, welling up in my throat?), followed by some cheesy soap opera-style music. Cue a woman's voice talking about how she and her husband are arguing over what color to paint their house. He wants gray with black trim. She wants "the more traditional" yellow with white trim. They can't decide on a compromise. She goes on to say how they made a pact when first getting married that they would never go to bed with unresolved issues. But now she's concerned, because he's leaving on a business trip, early the next morning. The next afternoon she gets a delivery from Generic Florist. It's a bouquet of yellow and white flowers, from her husband. Yellow and white. The same colors she wanted to paint the house (cue me gagging). Cue cheesy music and announcer. Gah. Guaranteed to wipeout any diabetics within earshot.

Now that summer is here, I have started using this little vintage electric fan I have. And, you know how the older fans didn't really have much in the way of protection from the fan blades. Well, last night as I was bending down to turn it off, the drawstring from my pants got caught in the fan and it started reeling in my drawstring, closer to my crotch! Yipes! I couldn't help but flash on the scene from Jumpin' Jack Flash, where Whoopi gets her dress caught in the paper shredder. lol! Anyway, I got the fan unplugged, and my drawstring untangled from the fan. Bloodshed averted.

Don't forget to watch the new episode of Good Girls Dont... on Oxygen tonight. In Touch Weekly calls it"...the best bet to fill the 'Friend's' void." Personally, I think the show's a lot fresher and genuinely funnier than Friends. Not as WASPy. Plus, you gotta check out some of my favorite people: Joy Gohring (Jane)and Kevin Christy (Ben). My favorite scene with Jane, is where she's dressed in this red top with her hair up in pigtails, wistfully watching her make-believe boyfriend Danny Masterson (Hyde from That 70's Show) on TV. She's just too foxy! Favorite line: Jane pretends to be pregnant to get a date with a guy in the grocery store, so she expands on the charade by telling him her husband is dead, but that's a good thing, 'cause he used to beat her, and the guy says "If he weren't dead I'd wring his neck like a chicken." And Jane says hungrily, "I love chicken." Lol! Gotta love that Jane! And then there's underdog Ben, who considers himself "Doughy and bookish," but I think he's just so good-lookin'. His combination of humility, self-deprecating humor and the fact that he looks so good in glasses, just makes me love him more. It airs tonight, and twice on Sunday, so there's no reason to miss it. Check your local listings for time and channel you'll be glad you did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.