Monday, October 02, 2006

Shenanigans

This weekend I went to The Magic Time Machine in Dallas, with some friends. For those not familiar with TMTM, read my previous post or go here.

When we arrived, the place was packed and we were told there was a 30 minute wait, which was nowhere near as long as we'd anticipated, so we took our little pager disc and went upstairs to the arcade/disco/bar to kill some time. Upstairs it was like 150º and we were all about to die of heatstroke. Thankfully, we discovered some video game where you shoot zombies (Area 51) and the heat ceased to matter anymore. Man, it was really fun, and I normally don't even attempt to sway from anything that doesn't remotely resemble a video game from the 80's because usually they're too complex for my little brain to handle, but Area 51 was a blast! Plus, I'm a good shot.

Thirty five minutes later, we were seated by Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz and our waitress, Wonder Woman came by with menus and asked if we'd be starting with drinks and/or appetizers. I ordered a Poison Apple (apple martini) and some Mozzarella sticks. The waitress asked us if we were celebrating anything special and we all fell silent. I did NOT want any birthday fanfare, especially here, where loud and embarassing are king. Then when someone said "it's his birthday" it began. She asked what my name was and someone said "Molly. Molly Ringwald," so from there on out I was referred to as 'Molly' by the waitress. Neat. :P Later, I ordered the fried shrimp and two scoops of vanilla ice cream for dessert...which they ended up bringing out with a pink birthday candle in the middle of, while The Mad Hatter, Wonder Woman and Jack Sparrow (I think that's the name of Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean) sang some really loud, obnoxious version of Happy Birthday to me. Lovely. LOL! Actually, I don't embarrass too easily, so I just went with it, but I could have lived without it.


Everyone's meal comes with a trip to the salad bar (an old jalopy converted into a salad bar). As we stood in line, the woman in front of me was desperately trying to conjole some spoiled-ass 10-year old kid. We were all like "WTF?! This bitch has to be convinced to have a good time here?! Gimme a fuckin' break!" This took for fuckin' ever because the girl's lip was dragging the floor (as my parent's would say) and was just soooo "sad." WTF-ever. Meanwhile, there are 8 of us waiting in line for this stupid bitch and her granddaughter to get the fuck outta the way so we can get our goddamn salads. Ridiculous! Once back at the table, we all were on the same wavelength, saying that's like taking your kids to Disneyland and having to convince them to have a good time. Kids suck.

We sat and talked for a while after dinner and everyone was mesmerized by all the activity going on. I felt a little ridiculous, having chosen SUCH a little kid's-style place to have dinner, but I tried not to think about it too much. I thought it'd be fun, but I think the combination of it being SO busy and there being SO many things going on and so many kids running around, made it a bit overwhelming.

The table across from us was being waited on by G.I. Joe and I thought he was a hottie. Keep in mind the place is REALLY dark, so when you don't have your glasses on, everyone looks good. All I know is that he had some nice, veiny biceps and some kind of accent (I think he was Australian or British...the din was pretty loud in the restaurant). He was cute to me, so as we were leaving, I noticed a few people going around taking pictures of various people and things, and he was one of them. He was clearing a table on the way to the exit, and some woman had just asked to take his picture and he was very obliging, so I thought "What the hell, I'll ask too," so I did. My friends were passing by as my flash went off and they all looked at me like "Oh my God." One of them said "Be obvious why don't you" to which I replied "Eh, who cares. He's hot and it's my birthday." LOL. Like I said, I don't embarrass easily.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

Ohhh that place sounds awesome. If it doesn't blink, sing, or move on its own, kids don't appreciate nothin. Sonsobitches.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

The photo is a little small so I can't tell for sure... but G.I. Joe looks like a sloppy waiter because he's got something spilled on his shirt!!

Area 51 is a great game, and I played it often when it was first released. If I were to ever buy a cabinet game for my home, this would be the one.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mon-
LOL! No shit, in regards to the "If it doesn't blink, sing, or move on its own, kids don't appreciate nothin" comment! Perfect example: One of my friends recently bought his nephew a really nice, very cuddly stuffed animal. The kid sat with it for like 5 minutes, trying to figure out its' "hot spot" to make it do something. Sad. I weep for the future.

Terri-
Me too! You and I coulda killed zombies AND had schrimp; the perfect evening! :)

Dave-
I think you may have a point there. Methinks he was new because he continually kept bumping his head on the chandelier hanging above one of the tables in his section; He'd serve a plate of appetizers...and bump his head. He'd go to place someone's dinner in front of them...and bump his head. The chandelier was swinging all night long.

Still, he had nice arms. And that makes up for any dooficity. ;)

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.