Monday, July 03, 2006

Wax On, Wax Off

This weekend I was watching a repeat of one of my favorite shows, Clean House. For those who may not be familiar with it, it's a show on the Style channel where a group of people go into a families' home, clear out the clutter, sell it at a yard sale and then use that money to remodel/organize 2-3 rooms in their home.

So, yesterday's family consisted of 3 members: Father/mother/daughter (shown). I've already talked to one of my friends about this, but I'm curious what you think, for no other reason but to see if I'm alone on this: At what point do you help/educate your child on appearance? (yes, I'm talking about the little girl's unibrow and mustache) My friend thinks I'm pure evil for even mentioning it, and to an extent I can see where he's coming from, in regards to possibly giving your child a complex, etc. about their appearance. He seems to think that I'm from another school of thought/reasoning because I am not a parent and that if I were a parent I wouldn't even notice these things because I'd love my child so much that I'd see beyond the surface and that the extent of my unfaltering devotion would cause rainbows to shoot outta my ass and blind those around me with their brilliance. He claims I'm entering stage-mother territory, but it's not like I'm making her get her teeth capped, or slapping the Twinkie outta her hand. I'm merely trying to help her look less like The Amazing Mumford and more like the pretty little girl mommy knows she can be.

Ahem...but seriously, I think there is no way that I could not notice something this glaringly obvious. Yes, I realize she's "just a child," and she could turn into a wolverine for all I care, BUT I would feel compelled for her to look her best at any age and quite honestly, I think it'd drive me insane to NOT do something about it if I could (providing it wasn't traumatic). My stance would be to not make a big production out of it, just introduce it as a part of the everyday grooming that "big girls" do. That's it. No long-winded song and dance, just do it and get on with our lives. If you were going to breach the topic (if at all), at what age would YOU attempt it? Why, or why not.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Waxing can be very painful, especially if you have sensitive skin; and if you're a child pain will hurt you and scare you more than an adult. But there are painless ways to remove or conceal facial hair. So to me there's no excuse to allow a girl to get to this point. It's bad grooming, pure and simple.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 2:14:00 AM  
Blogger Cindi said...

I agree with both of the above commenters. I work in out-patient and in-patient admissions at a hospital. There used to be a young boy who would come in with his mother a lot. He was about 9 or 10. He had the worst unibrow I have ever seen on any human being. An extremely thick and bushy black unibrow. It was so distracting and I had a hard time not noticing it. I would have thought that this dear little boy would have gotten all kinds of teasing over it. Kids can be cruel! He had it for years too. When I read this post, I remembered him immediately and I don't feel so bad now (because I had the same thoughts you had). I am not a shallow person, but geeze!
I saw this boy about a year ago and he is in his early 20's now and he has obviously taken care of it now. The unibrow is gone and he no longer looks like a wolf-boy.
He is quite handsome.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:45:00 AM  
Blogger Maven said...

Being married to an Indian man myself... and he's super fastidious, too... however, not all Indians ARE. Truth be told, if she's sporting a unibrow and a pre-teen fu manchu... you can also be she's got some rather funky body odor that will choke a donkey.

I'm just sayin'...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.