Thursday, June 29, 2006

Not-So-New World Order

If you're a regular reader of my blog then you know that I have a bodybuilder fetish. Visually, I think they're hot, though I'm firmly grounded in reality, so I realize the majority of them are probably arrogant pricks like I've witnessed on more than one occasion. What else is new, right? Oh well, there's always an exception, right?...right? Dammit, I can dream can't I!?

Anyway, from time to time I'll pick up a bodybuilder magazine and leaf through it at the grocery store, bookstore, etc. I used to buy them all the time, but that slowly tapered off in the mid-late 90's because the format changed so drastically that I can no longer justify spending $5-$7 for a thick, glossy "supplement" brochure masquerading as a magazine, which is pretty much what most of them are now, which I think is bullshit.

Out of all the magazines, Muscular Development is the worst offender when it comes to hawking supplements. Out of a 390 page "magazine," there are 181 full pages dedicated to advertisements alone, and that's not even including the other pages that contain actual articles that have half or 1/3 of the page dedicated to even MORE advertisements. Good god. Ridiculous! You know it's gonna be a shitball issue if the first 24 pages is ads. Don't get me wrong, I still occasionally buy an issue every now and then, but it has to have a spread with someone I really like. No telling how much money I've saved now that I only buy them occasionally.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is that I wanted to share with you an article that ran in the January 2006 issue of Muscular Development. MD likes to post articles that put their demographic in a good light, under the subcategory of 'Research.' This was one that I found interesting:

Men Find Fat Chicks Sexually Undesirable

Most people are overweight or obese, yet men and women rank fat people at the bottom of the sexual attractiveness scale. According to psychology researchers from the University of Washington, most young males would rather go to bed with a mentally ill woman or one with gonorrhea than with a fat chick. Male and female college students were shown six photos of possible sexual partners (opposite sex) with the following characteristics: lean and healthy, armless, wheelchair, mental illness, STDs, or obese. Subjects, particularly the males, found obese women the least sexually desirable of potential partners on the list. The results were similar in people who were overweight themselves. The study shows the extreme prejudice experienced by overweight people and the importance of a good body for sexual attractiveness.


First off, I think the first thing that comes to mind is "Duh!" I mean, did we really need a psychologists to arrive at this ground-breaking conclusion? Does Mo'Nique know about this? This may be why her movie, Phat Girlz tanked at the box office.

Secondly, though I can understand to an extent the whole physical attraction dynamic, GONORRHEA?! Wow. I'm sorry, but personally I don't care how 'hot' you are, if you're a no-personality prick, you're still out of the game. If your range of conversation begins and ends with carbs, your favorite powdered protein shake and/or the merits of your dietary supplement, you deserve someone as vapid as you are, cuz in that case I'd rather have a conversation with someone who was mentally ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.