Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Recent DVD Purchases


Saturday Night Live: The Best of Cheri Oteri © 2006
Comments: It's about friggin' time! I can't believe they have "Best of" DVDs for some of the suckier SNL members, but it took them THIS LONG to release a Cheri Oteri Best of. Good compilation, but a lot of favorites were missing. Better than nothing.
Mission Hill: The Complete Series © 1999-2002
Capote © 2005
Intruder © 1989
Comments: Oh man, I was so excited when I came across this 80's slasher on DVD. I love "discovering" 80's slashers that I haven't seen (it's getting harder and harder to find ones that I haven't seen!). The 80's was THE era of the slasher. The look/feel just can't be duplicated. This one was A LOT of fun. Gory, creative murders.
Dr. Katz Professional Therapist: Season 1 © 1995
The Facts of Life: Season 1 & 2 © 1979-1980
The Eyes of Laura Mars © 1978
Toys © 1992
Grease 2 © 1982
Comments: Wow. I know what your'e thinking "Grease 2 SUCKED!" Yeah, I have to admit it is seriously lacking in a lot of areas (Michelle Pfeiffer is AWFUL), particularly the music and casting. However, it does have it's moments. Besides, Maxwell Caulfield is so friggin' HOT and I have a special place in my heart for the 'Reproduction' musical number.
The Incredible Hulk: The Television Series Ultimate Collection © 1978-1982
The Ringer © 2005
Dick Tracy © 1990
Venom © 2005
Tristan + Isolde © 2006
Comments: There's something about James Franco that I sometimes find attractive, then sometimes not. He is definitely beautiful in this movie. I think it's the hair. Rufus Sewell also looks hot in this one as well. He's another one that has that on again/off again attractiveness (re: Carrington). Ridley Scott was the executive producer of this movie. I love his work.
Thank God It's Friday © 1978
Cheerleader Camp © 1987
It's Alive © 1974
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 © 1984/1989
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother © 1975
From a Whisper to a Scream © 1987
Comments: I rented this movie on video back in the 80's, under the title The Offspring. I had no idea it was on DVD, mainly because of the title change (apparently it's the original theatrical title). This is one of those movies that genuinely creeps/grosses me out. Check it out, if you dare.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory © 1971
Comments: I've been wanting this DVD for years, but refused to settle for the full-screen version. Finally found this one at the pawn shop for $4. Woo hoo! One of those movies that I love to watch on a lazy weekend afternoon.
Sliver (Unrated) © 1993
The Agatha Christie Miss Marple Movie Collection © 1962-1964
The Dark Crystal © 1982
The Hills Have Eyes © 1977
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets © 2002
Comments: I'll be blogging about the Harry Potter movies later. I still can't believe I've been converted.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban © 2004
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire © 2005
Snoopy, Come Home © 1972
Elvira's Horror Classics: The House on Haunted Hill/Night of the Living Dead © 1959/1968
Comments: Longing for the memories that only her 80's TV show Movie Macabre could bring to the table, I was hoping that this volume (1 of 3) of Elvira's Horror Classics would be just what the doctor ordered. And though I don't regret buying this DVD, it just isn't the same. The transition between Elvira's comments during the movie just aren't as seamless as the TV show. They border on disruptive. Oh well, they say you can't go home again.
Big Trouble in Little China © 1986
Hello Again © 1987
A Lot Like Love © 2005
Comments: I detest Ashton Kutcher, but this movie looks funny, so I bought it. Besides, I like Amanda Peet.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines © 2003
Prime © 2005
Mobsters © 1991
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events © 2004
Proof © 2005
Comments: The only reason I bought this movie was for Jake Gyllenhaal. Otherwise, I could care less.
The Cave © 2005
I Love Your Work © 2003
Comments: I've been interested in this movie ever since I read about it going into production. LOTS of people I love in it, primarily Giovanni Ribisi and Vince Vaughn.
Shopgirl © 2005
Heights © 2004
Comments: Again, another one of those movies I already know I'm going to like, based on the trailer. The film has a great, rich, dark look to it.
Hostel (Unrated) © 2005
Comments: I know I'll be renting this thing eventually, so why not buy it used for the same price I'd end up paying to rent it? I watched part of the featurette and now more than ever, I'm deeply disturbed by it. This one is going to be one of those movies that I save until I'm feeling brave.
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit © 2005
Fear © 1996
Raising Helen © 2004
Comments: One of my friends LOVES John Corbett. I thought he had some cute moments in Sex and the City, but he's REALLY cute in this movie. Favorite scene: "I'm a sexy man of God, and I know it." So cocky. So cute.
The Critic: The Complete Series © 1994-1995
Comments: This and the following boxsets were used at the pawn shop and in great condition. I don't really even watch Angel or Smallville (something about Tom Welling bugs the crap outta me), but for $15 each, I couldn't resist. I figure if I don't like 'em I can always sell them on eBay.
Angel: Season 4 © 2002
Smallville: Season 1 © 2001
Krull © 1983
Superstition (Unrated) © 1982
Comments: I bought this DVD-R and The Boy Who Cried Werewolf on eBay. Never seen Superstition, but have ALWAYS wanted to. Another one of those 80's horror movies that I missed.
The Boy Who Cried Werewolf © 1973
Comments: This movie has always creeped me OUT. Still does. ::shiver:: Werewolves creep me out.

4 Comments:

Blogger nbh said...

Heights was great. I was surprised by how much I liked it (watched it twice the weekend I rented it).

(sorry, I have to ...)

He's a
C
O-O
L

R
I
D
E
R!

I so wanted to be Michelle Pfeiffer in that movie the summer I was 12 =]

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger girlzoot said...

I have a bizarre love of that movie Hello Again.

Great selections man.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger Cindi said...

"The Agatha Christie Miss Marple Movie Collection"

Wow, I haven't seen the old Miss Marple movies in years! Where did you get that?

I have wondered about Tristan and Isolde. Is it good? Shopgirl was a good book. I would like to see that movie too. I love your movie choices.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 4:12:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Sheri-
Cool! I still haven't watched it yet (Heights), but it looks beautiful. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Jesse Bradford and Glenn Close are in it.

Aaaiiggh! You just had to bring up Cool Rider! LOL! I always forget about that song, but its chorus is so catchy that I can't help but sing along. Oy

Atom Girl-
Cool! A fellow anti-Ashtonite. I'm hoping to watch it this weekend. I need a break from all these horror movies I've been watching lately. Glad to hear it was good despite The Kutch. Thanks!

Girlzoot-
I know what you mean! It's one of my 'guilty pleasure' movies. Something about it is so fun! I think Zelda (Judith Ivey) really helps make the movie, as well as Shelley Long, of course.

I'm glad you dig my movie selection. I like all kinds fo stuff for all kinds of reasons. Variety is the spice of life! ;)

Cindi-
YEAH! I was so excited when it was finally released a few months ago. I got mine at Best Buy. TOTALLY worth it. I've since watched all four movies TWICE. They're so addictive, I just love them. They also contain the original trailers for each movie (very cool). Margaret Rutherford is the only Miss Marple for me!

I liked Tristan + Isolde. I couldn't believe it was the director's first film and that it was a "low budget" movie. It looked beautiful (as did James Franco...I think it was the hair). Definitely worth checking out.

And speaking of Shopgirl, I also loved the book, but I have yet to sit down and watch the movie. I really like all the actors, but just haven't taken the time to watch it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Thank you! I'm so excited that you like my movie choices. Seriously. Hardly anyone ever comments on the posts where I blog about my recent DVD purchases. I dunno why. Glad that you did though! Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.