Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Recent DVD Purchases


Daltry Calhoun. 2005
Comments: Like you need an explanation for this one: Johnny Knoxville! He's so damn gorgeous in this movie. AND it's actually a really good movie. Johnny's more than just a pretty face...nice chest...big hands...

Creep. 2004
Comments: A fun horror movie. What's creepier than getting stranded in the subway with a demented, bloodthirsty freak?

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (Unrated). 2005
Comments: I LOVE Steve Carell. Always thought he was just the cutest thing. Totally fun movie. Stars two other favorites: Paul Rudd and Catherine Keener. I also found myself strangely drawn to co-star Seth Rogan. Not sure why. I think it was a combination of his character's personality and curly hair.

Dance Hits (Import). 2005
Comments: When I spotted this DVD at Fry's Electronics I had to get it. Some of my favorite 80's songs was on it:
Afrika Bambaataa & UB40- Reckless
Judy Cheeks- Reach (big club hit)
Inner City- Good Life (LOVE that song)
Robbie Nevil- C'est La Vie
Sly Fox- Let's Go All the Way
Soul II Soul- Back to Life

I'd never seen the video for 90% of the songs, and for some (i.e. Sly Fox) I wish it'd stayed that way. LOL! OMG, that video s-u-c-k-s! The song is SO much cooler.

And even though I either wasn't a fan of or just didn't like the other songs, the videos were still hilarious to watch. I was dying! There was a tie for worst video: Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby vs. Lillo Thomas' (who?) Sexy Girl. Both worth the price of the DVD, just for the tears of laughter. I highly recommend buying it. If you grew up in the 80's, it's a guaranteed fun time! Just $2.55 at Amazon.com or $4.64(NEW!) at Half.com! A helluva lot cheaper than what I paid. Figures.

Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection Volume 2. 2005
Comments: I can't bring myself to shell out nearly $50 for the Looney Tunes box sets just yet, so in the meantime I opted to buy this 2-disc collection of the ones I KNOW I like. Comprised of a lot of the older episodes done by Beany & Cecil's Bob Clampett, I was always a big fan of the episodes with caricatures of the movie stars of the 40's and 50's (Clark Gable, Henry Fonda, Judy Garland, Groucho Marx, etc.). There are also plenty of those episodes I love where they bring book titles and characters to life. Gotta love it when The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll/Hyde, The Mummy and Frankenstein step out of their prospective books, looking vicious and menacing...then start doing the Conga. LOL! It's great!

And, one of my all-time favorite episodes, I Love to Singa, with the adorable little owl (AKA "Owl Jolson) who rebels against his stuffy parents and longs to sing that Swing!

Transporter 2. 2005
Comments: Jason Statham looking hot as ever. Enjoyed the movie for the great action and fight scenes. Not as good as the original, but a fun ride all the same.

Lords of Dogtown (Unrated). 2005
Comments: Johnny Knoxville (yes, again!) has a role in this movie, making it a must-own. Also, the movie looks great. Haven't got around to sitting down and watching it yet, but I already have a feeling I'm gonna enjoy it. Even if I don't, Knoxville is a good consolation prize.

Serenity. 2005
Comments: Adam Baldwin is in this, and he is looking sooo good, I had to buy it. Loved him ever since I first saw him in My Bodyguard and The Chocolate War (is it EVER coming out on DVD?!). Since I don't really dig the stuff that passes for Sci-Fi these days, whether or not I'm gonna like this movie is a coin toss.

Summer of Sam. 1999
Comments: I've been wanting to buy this movie for ages, so when I ran across a copy at the local used book store, I had to pick it up. I already know I am gonna LOVE this movie. I've seen the trailers and love the cast AND most importantly, Spike Lee seems to have done what others haven't: Recaptured a period of time (the 70's) successfully. Saving this one for when I have time to sit and really enjoy it.

Caddyshack. 1980
Comments: My friend Nathan bought this DVD for me, since I can never seem to find it anywhere around here. I've been wanting this movie for so long and had just caught the lackluster sequel on cable the day before he gave this to me. How's that for timing?

And no, unfortunately the cover doesn't look like the original poster art (shown: always loved that poster), but I wanted to use the image so I did.

The Horror of Party Beach/The Curse of the Living Corpse. 1964
Comments: Another movie Nathan picked up for me on a recent venture to a local Horror convention. Though it's not officially slated to be released until March 28th, they were selling copies early. Yaye me!

Wedding Crashers (Unrated). 2005
Comments: Everyone keeps telling me how hilarious this movie is, but I dunno. I got it because I LOVE me some Vince Vaughn. I have to admit that I am a little disappointed that he seems to be doing more "raunchy" comedy stuff in lieu of dramatic roles (which he is SOOO great at: Return to Paradise, The Locusts, etc.). That may be why I am hesitant about whether I'll actually find this funny or not. Oh well, Vince is one of my "must-own" guys (in addition to Johnny, Jude and Ben).

Coneheads. 1993
Comments: I've been wanting this movie for a long time. I sold my VHS years ago, with the goal of replacing it with the DVD, but just never seemed to get around to it. Found a used copy on sale recently, so I finally picked up a copy.

MST3K: The Amazing Colossal Man. 1957
Comments: Now this and the last 4 movie titles are all DVD-Rs that my friend Nathan made for me. He's the greatest. BTW, I designed the covers for this DVD-R and the Revenge of the Stepford Wives DVD-R. I couldn't find any cover art I liked, so I got resourceful and created my own. Just think what I could do if I was getting paid! *sigh*

Final Exam. 1981
Comments: I have the paperback book for this movie, which is one of my favorite 80's slashers. I hate to say why I love it so much, since I might be spoiling the climax for some of you who might want to see it someday (good luck finding it!). Let's just say I like movies that don't always tie together with a neat little bow.

Little Darlings. 1980
Comments: One of my all-time favorite movies, I bought the laserdisc for this movie AGES ago, in hopes that someday I would actually own a laserdisc player (no such luck so far). However, Nathan DOES own one and he made me a copy on DVD-R! I've already watched it three times since I got it. Love it.

Revenge of the Stepford Wives. 1980
Comments: This made-for-TV sequel to the 1975 Stepford Wives has always been a favorite. I relish the fact that we get to see "Mrs. Roper" (AKA Audra Lindley) get homicidal! Sharon Gless and Julie Kavner make a likeable team of undercover reporters, and it doesn't hurt that Don Johnson is in it, dressed as a cop (shades of Miami Vice?), looking all cute and squinty-eyed.

Avenging Force. 1986
Comments: Michael Dudikoff is just as juicy as can be. I thought he was so cute the first time I saw him in Bachelor Party. I haven't had time to watch this yet, but it's always appealed to me. Either way, Michael's in it, so it's all good.

5 Comments:

Blogger girlzoot said...

Seth Rogan's charachter in 40 year old was quite possibly my dream man. He is so big and cuddly.

Nice selection of vids. I wanna come to your place and watch movies for six days straight.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Samantha J. said...

I loved the 40 year old virgin! funny as hell, had to buy that one.

I also liked transporter 2, action packed my jaw was on the floor the whole time.

But..the wedding crashers wasn't as good as i thought it would be but it was alright and did have some funny parts in it, i probibly wouldn't watch it again.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger RagDoll said...

I am soooo getting 'Dance Hits'!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Girlzoot-
Maybe that's why He appeals to me. He's masculine, yet cuddly and cool. Always a good combo.

If you lived closer, we would totally have movie marathon! All the cool people who wanna do that never live near me, dammit!

Nccountry-
I know what you mean about The Transporter movies. I love watching and rewinding the fight scenes. They are just the coolest thing ever. If you get a chance, check out Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever, sometimes. GREAT music and fight scenes!

That's kiiinda what I'm afraid of, regarding The Wedding Crashers. Vince is a cutie, but I don't know if I'm ready for more Dodgeball-type humor just yet.

Ragdoll-
I hope you do!! Seriously! You will LOVE it. I can't stop watching the "Sexy Girl" video. It still makes me laugh, especially the very beginning where it's him (Lillo Thomas) in his black "Olé!" hat, looking like a poor man's Prince, looking sexily into the camera and singing "Sexy....Sexy Girl." ROTFLMAO!

BTW, I've fixed the links to the DVD on both Half.com and Amazon, so now when you click on one of them it WILL take you to the right place (I had them all fucked up earlier, which I just discovered..DERR!)

Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:04:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

The girl-
LOL! You hit it right on the head! I can totally relate. There's just something about the "old school" teen movies that's lacking in today's versions. I don't know if they were grittier or I've just become jaded that it's all bee done before (and usually better!). Besides, I dare anyone's pulse not to race when the girl hijack the school bus and go on a condom run to town, all to the tune of Blondie's One Way or Another!! *sigh* They just don't make 'em like that any more!

Steve needs some serious kisses. I think the most ironic thing about the 40-Year-Old Virgin was that he was the virgin! Whatever! Too cute! ;)

Thanks for commenting! :D

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.