Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Modern Movie Poster Design

As you know, I love good design. I'm especially a big fan of great movie poster art. Here are a handful of new movies that I'm looking forward to seeing. Click the images to enlarge them.

The films 2046, Bubble and The Memory of a Killer are all on DVD now. I haven't even seen 2046 (An Asian neo noir, saturated drama), but I already know I'm gonna love it. And since I love most of Brian De Palma's films, I'm looking forward to seeing his remake of The Black Dahlia. However, I am a little put-off by the fact that it stars two infants: Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson. I just don't think of them as De Palma material. I guess I'm used to seeing seasoned adults as the leads in his films.

And last, but not least, I love the raw brutality of the German posters for the movie Hostel (though the first one is a blatant rip-off of the 1980 slasher, Maniac). It's like a throwback to the old slasher movies, but with a new "NIN/Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake/music video meets Se7en" twist. I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm still not sure if I want to. From what I've heard it sounds like extreme gore for gore's sake. Eh...we'll see.

3 Comments:

Blogger RagDoll said...

These are great movie posters! Finally! Posters that can be considered art and not merely 'slap-the-stars-face-on-it-and-make-sure-it-has-a stupid-expression". I was especially drawn to the first 2,Lady Vendetta and The Lurkers!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Ragdoll-
Aren't they, though?! My faith in the once lost art of movie posters, has been restored! I know exactly what you mean when you refer to the tired practice of "'slap-the-stars-face-on-it-and-make-sure-it-has-a stupid-expression"

It's the same way I feel about the whole "Scream-ification" of horror movie posters. You know, that whole I Know What You Did Last Summer "look," with the cast all on display...just in case you can't read. Oy vey.

The Lady Vendetta poster actually has some other nice versions too. And Lurkers DOES look fun, doesn't it? Love the throwback to the days of pulp fiction. Nice.

Thanks for commenting! :D

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:30:00 AM  
Blogger Maven said...

I saw V for Vendetta this weekend. Halfway thru it I just wanted to leave, but glad I didn't. I just thought it was too real in some spots and too fake in others.

Monday, March 20, 2006 9:55:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.