Thursday, March 09, 2006

Read-Along Memories

Look what I recently stumbled across! Remember these? I used to love to sit and listen to these when I was little. I remember one Christmas I got the coolest record player. It was one of those with a brass latch and a white plastic carrying handle and it had Fonzi on the top of the lid and on the inside. I wore that thing OUT! I wish I still had it, heck maybe I do. Maybe it's sitting in a closet somewhere at home. Who knows.

Regardless, here are the Read-Along storybook and records that I found. Can you tell I was into Disney movies? I remember especially loving Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm and the Friendly Witch and being able to enjoy A Charlie Brown Christmas anytime I wanted to, instead of waiting all year for it to air on CBS. Remember a time when watching animated Christmas, Halloween, Easter specials was an occasion you looked forward to? Nowadays you can buy most of them on VHS or DVD and pop it in whenever the mood strikes you. It's a double-edged sword really: On the one hand, you have the convenience of owning the movie, on the other hand, it loses some of its magic in the process.

Oh, and if you'll notice, I was gettin' prettty hi-tech before it was over with, by owning a Read-Along book and cassette. Fancy!


If you're interested in strolling down memory lane or possibly buying back some childhood happiness, check out the following links:

Solid Viper Records
Rainbow Brite Read-Along book and record: MIP! Opening bid: $1.99
Lot of 67 Read-Along books/records/tapes. Opening bid: 99¢
Lot of 10 Read-Along books/records. Opening bid: 99¢

*P.s. In a similar vein, be sure and tune into Vh1's latest in the "I Love..." series, I Love Toys, all this week. Check local listings for time and channel.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yes! I think I learned to read from the Three Little Pigs and Red Riding Hood ones.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:24:00 AM  
Blogger mondo retro said...

I still have a lot of those 45's, but i don't have the books anymore...


*beeep!* turn the page!

Friday, March 10, 2006 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger RagDoll said...

I still have my LP version of Disneys Robin Hood. My Mom HATED that album. I played it on brainwash rotation 24/7 along with The Jackson 5 Christmas Album ALL YEAR LONG.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cheryl-
You know, come to think of it, I may have too (re: learned to read via the Read-Along books/records). I never really thought about it. I know I was reading before I started school.

Mondo Retro-
Heh heh! And remember the "brrrriiiiiing" sound that some of them made? Ah. Good times.

Terri-
So do I! You hardly seen them anymore and you can forget about Gen Y knowing WTF they are. LOL! Sad how some things kind of get lost in the shuffle. I miss them. I remember seeing boxes of them on the counter at Peaches Records & Tapes. God, I LOVED that store.

Ragdoll-
LMAO! I died laughing when I read "brainwash rotation." LOL! Such an accurate description. I can totally relate. My mom was a big advocate of my stereo headphones. I think I did something similar with The Pirate Movie soundtrack and the 45 for Prince's "1999!"

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.