Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I Wanna Dance With Somebody


I've been watching the Sundance Channel more than usual lately. It all started when I tuned in to finally watch Tarnation, a movie I blogged about in a previous post, that I really wanted to see. It kind of snowballed from there. Lots of good stuff goin' on, check out their schedule. You're sure to find something that interests you.


TransGeneration: This 8-part documentary series premiered last week and comes on Tuesdays @ 9PM. The show goes inside the daily lives of four transgender college students at campuses across the United States. Directed by Jeremy Simmons of the award-winning production company World of Wonder, TransGeneration follows its subjects over the course of a school year, capturing both their triumphs and struggles as they juggle the challenges of academia with their commitment to transitioning from their birth sex.
Comments: Though I've only watched one episode so far, I find the show really interesting. I can't say I necessarily agree with some of the more "radical" (politically) ones, but for the most part, it's an interesting look into at subject matter that doesn't stumble into the spotlight very often.


The Al Franken Show: Al unapologetically takes on right-wing politicos while simultaneously confounding expectations of what political commentary is supposed to be. Recorded live in the Air America studios. Weeknights @ 11:30.
Comments: I like Al Franken because he's savvy and keeps me informed on things I might not be made aware of otherwise, on the the other news channels. However, even though I like him, I don't necessarily think the show is as funny as he and his co-host seem to think it is. I could do without the lame attempts at humor and would be totally content with the more soft-spoken humor that always seems to permeate the show. MUCH funnier. Stop with the skits and attempt at song parodies already. OMG, they are AWFUL.


Tanner on Tanner: Sixteen years after their revolutionary TV miniseries "Tanner '88" cast a scathing eye on American politics, director Robert Altman and writer Garry Trudeau present a four-part follow-up, shot during the 2004 presidential race. Episodes begin September 28 @ 11PM.
Comments: I just loooove Cynthia Nixon (she plays Tanner's daughter). Back in 1988 I was nowhere near interested in the world of politics, so I did not get to enjoy Tanner '88 the first go round. However, I did see it years later and found it very funny and original, so needless to say I am anxious to see it's follow-up, Tanner on Tanner.

4 Comments:

Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

I echo everything your comments on Tanner on Tanner.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:47:00 PM  
Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

Um...you know what I meant. :/ Just pretend that makes sense and doesn't sound like drunken jibberish.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

I also enjoyed Tarnation.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Grandpoo-
I know exactly what you meant. You're speakin' my language! ;) I bought Tanner on Tanner (how could I not, for just $6?!), but I haven't watched it yet. This afternoon maybe.

I enjoyed Tarnation too. It could have been a little less fruitier than it was, but beyond that I thought it was really well done and interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.