Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Easy Come, Easy Geaux

As I was sifting through my old e-mails, I ran across one that brought back a flood of sweet, sweet memories. I thought I'd share it here with you today. Knowing how much a lot of my readers are like me, I thought you'd enjoy it.

As I've mentioned before. Me likee the eBay. I have been buying/selling on eBay off and on for nearly 8 years now. In that time I have lovingly swooped in and outbid many of my fellow eBayers, all in the name of good old-fashioned greed competition. I've bought lamps, books, photos and yes, even DVDs.

One of those DVDs was Un Flic starring Alain Delon; one of the hottest things to come outta France since Joan of Arc (pun intended). I love him and I love his movies, particularly those made between the late 50's and early 70's.

Since the majority of Alain's films are foreign, that translates into expen$ive, here in the US, so I only have a few of his films on DVD: Rocco and His Brothers (AKA Rocco et ses frères) and Purple Noon (AKA Plein soleil...remade as The Talented Mr. Ripley). I still really want Joy House (AKA Les Félins), The Red Circle (AKA Le Cercle Rouge), The Godson (AKA Le Samouraï..DVD release October 18th!), The Girl on a Motorcycle (AKA La Motocyclette) and one of my all-time favorites, which was recently released to DVD for the first time, The Eclipse (AKA L'Eclisse). God, it's such a beautiful movie! I definitely recommend all the ones listed here, especially if you dig guns, crime and beautiful dames!

Some things on eBay are a real steal. Especially foreign films (at least at the time I won this auction...people may be more savvy now, I dunno), since the majority of Americans consider subtitles "hard work." Sooo, when I saw Dirty Money (AKA Un Flic), starring Alain and Catherine Deneuve, at a more than half the cost that it originally sells for ($30...at the time), I knew I had to grab it! So, I bookmarked it, stalked it and using my surefire method of last-minute bidding (BTW, those "sniping" programs are for pussies), I won it. Mere seconds after winning it, I received this e-mail from some eBayer named frederic882000 24 (frederic882000@yahoo.ca):

"You freaking bastard! that was mine! You outbid me within 10 seconds just to piss me off or what? Je gage que tu ne parle meme pas français en plus!"

LMAO! Roughly translated "Je gage que tu ne parle meme pas français en plus!" means "What's more, I bet you don't even speak French!" Oh Frederic, you're beautiful when you're angry.

DVD you really wanted: $10
Shipping for DVD: $3
Outbidding a sore loser: Priceless

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
Don't you love it? I know it sounds awful, but it totally made my day! I've done the same thing, when it comes to bidding on items that end at weird times. We're both "old school" eBayers who relish the thrill of the kill, instead of using some buzz-killing sniper program. And you're SO right; that is the name of the game. I mean, c'mon, that's what an auction is all about. If everyone won, there would be no auction.

I second your WAHHHHH and raise you a NYAH! ;D

Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.