Friday, September 16, 2005

Give My Regards to...

A few weeks ago I was responding to a comment left on one of my posts and in order to make a reference point, I had to look up an image on the Internet. In the process I ran across the Broadway poster for the musical Wicked, which is loosely-based on a premise originated by The Wizard of Oz.

Well, it lead me to start browsing through some Broadway musicals/plays posters and I was pleasantly surprised to see just how beautiful a lot of them were.

As a rule, I'm just not into the whole musical, live-performance "thing." I just don't have the patience for 95% of it. Ironically my gay "pride" takes form in the fact that I don't subscribe to a lot of the stereotypical gay stuff. Anyway, in the process of talking to a friend about my self-proclaimed lack of interest in musicals, I went to go see how many I actually own on DVD. Seventeen. Seventeen. Lol! So much for not conforming to stereotypes. Here's the evidence, along with what I really like about them...surprisingly, it's rarely about the actual music:

V= Visuals • CF= Classic Film • E= Everything • KF=Kitsch Factor • GK= Gene Kelly • EC= Eyecandy

42nd Street (V, CF)
An American in Paris (V, CF, GK)
Anchors Aweigh (V, CF, GK)
Babes in Toyland (V, KF)
Can't Stop the Music (KF, EC)
Grease (E)
Madame Satan (E)
Moulin Rouge! (E)
Muscle Beach Party/Ski Party (KF, EC)
Phantom of Paradise (V)
The Pirate Movie (E)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (E)
Singin' in the Rain (CF, GK)
Stage Door Canteen (CF)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (CF, GK)
Till the Clouds Roll By (CF)
Xanadu (E)

In addition to "discovering" the wonderful world of Broadway poster art, I also learned that a lot of celebrities have performed on Broadway. I had no idea!

Brendan Fraser (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), Sebastian Bach (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), Sean "Puffy" Combs (A Raisin in the Sun), Alec Baldwin (Streetcar Named Desire), Harry Connick, Jr. (Thou Shalt Not) and John Stamos (Cabaret), just to name a few.

To see more Broadway poster art, visit:

Footlights
Triton Gallery

4 Comments:

Blogger M said...

These posters are great finds! Thanks for the links.

Friday, September 16, 2005 1:19:00 AM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

Of course, upon seeing the poster, I had to google "Broadway Bares." While the boys are yummy and all, I could only check out one site (with video!) but it didn't once mention what the "great cause" was.

gnuaaw

Friday, September 16, 2005 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I LOVE Broadway posters! My family room walls are lined with show cards!

Friday, September 16, 2005 8:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Aren't they though? I always love discovering new and beautiful things on the Internet! I'm glad you found them as interesting as I do! :)

Dennis!-
I don't blame you, some of the other "Broadway Bares" posters are just as tasty, but I liked this one best because it was less overt and reminded me a lot of Errol Flynn...ROWR!

BTW, the "cause" you/the posters speak of are:

BC/EFA=Broadway Cares/EFA- Equity Fights AIDS

Mamacita-
That's awesome! I would LOVE to have some of these posters...if only I could afford to have them framed (thus the small bundle of movie posters I have sitting here in tubes and envelopes collecting dust!). I had no idea that there were so many great ones out there. I may have to start buying some now... :)

Sunday, September 18, 2005 2:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.