Monday, February 07, 2005

Upcoming DVD Releases Vol. 1

[ Click the image for more detail ]
While visiting Digital Bits.com recently, I decided to make my annual list of movies that I either want to rent and/or purchase. I used to post this kind of thing on a regular basis over at my Yahoo! group, Headcandy, but since I've started the blog, I think I'll start keeping track of it here,instead. Key: P= Purchase R= Rental

Feb.1
The Cat and the Canary [P]
Though I already own this classic silent film on DVD, this version promises to have much better picture quality. A classic to watch on a dark and stormy night!

Feb. 8
Rocky Marciano [P]
Hurray! I can finally replace my VHS. Jon Favre is white- H-O-T in this movie.
Hercules the Avenger [P]

Feb. 15
Donnie Darko [P]
Depending on what this new "uncut" edition has to offer, I may purchase this. Since I already own the original release, this new edition is gonna have to convince me.
The Motorcycle Diaries [R]
Black Shampoo [P]

Feb. 22
I <3 Huckabees [P]
I've been wanting to see this one for a long time. I'm not surprised this existential comedy didn't last long at theaters considering the majority of the American moviegoing audiences don't know what existential means, much less being able to pronounce it. Such a great cast, too. I'm so glad to see Lily Tomlin in a movie again!
Around the Bend [R]
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever [P]
At the risk of having my gay status revoked, I am not a big Barbra Streisand fan. However, this is just a great, surreal little movie, I can't resist.
Modern Problems [P]
Finally! I remember seeing this one at the theater. So much fun. Nell Carter as "Dorita" is hilarious!
Venus in Furs [P]
Madhouse [R]
Been reading a lot about this creepy little chiller. I'm anxious to see if it lives up to the hype.

Mar. 1
The Brady Bunch: Season 1 [P]
Probably won't buy this one right away, but hope to own it eventually.
My Own Private Idaho [P]
Bringing Up Baby [P]
Dinner at Eight [P]
LOVE this movie. It's about time it was released to DVD.

Mar. 15
Bells Are Ringing [P]
L'eclisse [P]
God, I have been wanting this movie on DVD for years! It's only been available as a Region 2 DVD, so this is really exciting news for me! LOVE Alain Delon!
Toolbox Murders [R]
Been wanting to see this remake ever since I saw the creepy trailer online. Looks promising and scary as hell!

Mar. 22
The New Scooby-Doo Movies [P]
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries [P]
I was just talking to one of my friends about these TV shows the other day! So excited! Growing up, I loved watching them!
The Pirate Movie [P]
I've been waiting for this one for years. A guilty pleasure.
Not On the Lips [R]
This movie stars Audrey Tautou, and I'm hoping for some similar Amelie-style magic.

Mar. 29
Closer [P]
Already know I am gonna love it. Jude Law + Clive Owen= Must-have.
Vera Drake [R]

April 5
The Amityville Horror II: The Possession [P]
Runaway Daughter [R]
Paul Rudd. Need I say more?

April 12
MAC & Me [P]
Cheese to the 10th power. So bad, I can't help but purchase it. It will be my remedy when I am feeling down in the dumps. SO BAD!

April 19
Birth [R]
Though not a huge Nicole Kidman fan, she looks A-MA-ZING in this movie. I'm curious to see, firsthand, what the big controversy was surrounding this film. I'm betting it was blown out of proportion, as usual.

[ Not Shown ]

Feb.1
Scaredto Death [R]

Feb. 22
It Happened to Jane [P]
Doris Day movie! They're always so much fun! Wheee!
My Sister Eileen [P]
Strangers When We Meet [P]

Mar. 1
The Philadelphia Story [P]

Mar. 8
The I Inside [P]
Ryan Phillips looks SO hot in this movie. But then he ALWAYS looks hot in his movies. Interesting thriller. Saw it on the Mystery Channel recently.

Mar. 15
Laura [P]
BEAUTIFUL Hitchcock classic. A must-have.
Easter Parade [P]
As a rule, I generally detest any musicals that don't star Gene Kelly or that wasn't made after 1978. However, Judy Garland does look beautiful in this movie and it's really colorful and fun. Come to think of it, lemme see how many musicals on DVD I own... Wow. Eleven. More than I thought. They include:

42nd Street
An American in Paris
Anchors Aweigh
Can't Stop The Music
Grease
Moulin Rouge
Phantom of the Paradise
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Singin' in the Rain
Stage Door Canteen
Xanadu


I may get my gay status reinstated yet!

April 19
Captain Blood [P]

May 3
That Darn Cat! [P]
The 1965 original with Hayley Mills!

2 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I love "Easter Parade". Everyone should see "That's Entertainment": all the joy of the old Hollywood musicals, none of the boredom.

Monday, February 07, 2005 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Gatochy-
I SO agree! I love the That's Entertainment movies, for the precise reason you mentioned. I simply don't have the patience for most musicals, but I do love the highlights. They're all on DVD now, so I'm hoping to collect them all over time.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 3:49:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.