Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Boogeyman Cometh

Anxiously awaiting the upcoming movie Boogeyman (it opens this Friday), it got me to thinking (can you see the beads of sweat?) about something: Nite lites.

I used to ALWAYS have to have some form of light source on in my bedroom at night. That is, up until recent years. Not so much as a source of light, but more of a source of comfort. About 3 or 4 years ago I just said "Screw it. Come get me." and stopped using any form of light in my room. Unless of course you count my alarm clock, which is one of those Oregon Scientific Atomic Clocks that projects the time onto the ceiling. I really love it. And best of all, it ALWAYS has the correct time because it sets itself via radio signals! Neat!

But I digress. My point is, now my room is nice and dark and more conducive to sleep. However, having a vivid imagination, I sometimes freak myself out with thoughts like: "Wouldn't it be creepy to crawl into bed some night, assuming the silhouette on the bed is the mound of sheets, blankets, comforters, etc. and it actually be an intruder? There I am climbing into bed with my back to them, only to be unnerved when I feel breath on the back of my neck or hear them say in a hushed tone "good night." Eek!" That's when I start patting down the bed, just to make sure. That settles it. I've seen When A Stranger Calls way too many times.

Anyway, here's the point of this whole entry: Do you have a nite lite in your bedroom? If so, is it more a source of light (no stumped toes) or for other reasons? Would you be comfortable going to bed in a completely dark room? Are you comfortable sleeping with the closet door open? Even ajar?

I'm anxious to read your answers.

2 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I don't have a night light in my bedroom, and I can only sleep in total darkness, that's why I always wear one of those blindfolds, like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I was afraid of the monster under the bed, but curiously not of the monster inside the closet...Although I was a scared of the dark as any kid when I was a child.

So instead I'm going to tell you two creepy stories to make you even more scared of the dark (hehehe...)

One is a scene I can distinctly remember from an old black and white movie, I believe it was English. Two women (I think they were sisters) sleep on separate, single beds in the same bedroom, but they've placed the beds right next to each other. One night of the girls is already in bed when the other one turns in. She goes in absolute pitch darkness, and as usual she reaches out to hold her sister's hand. She holds it and asks her why her hand is so ice cold. When she gets no answer she starts to get worried. So she turns on the lights to see what's the matter, and sees that her sister's bed is on the other side of the bedroom. Her sister wakes up and asks her what's going on. So the other one screams, shouting terrified, "Then whose hand was I holding?"

Another creepy story is one I heard told by Stephen King, the man himself, in an interview with Woopy Goldberg (remember when she had her own interview show?) She was asking him how he came up with all these creepy ideas and he answered that it was all a matter of tapping into all those instinctive fears that everybody has. For instance, the fear of the dark, of the monster under the bed, etc. What if, he said, against all common sense you left your foot hanging out of your bed, when deep in your heart you know that's just asking for trouble? What if all of the sudden you felt a tongue licking it? :D

Just something for you to think about, on these cold, dark, spooky nights, Kirk... ;D

Thursday, February 03, 2005 2:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Gatochy-
Doggone it, Marian! Why do you tell me such things?! Lol! ;) Seriously though, the movie sounds creeeeeepy, but I have one question about the story Stephen King told Whoopi and her audience: Are you sure he was trying to scare her or turn her on? He might have been trying to get himself some hot chocolate. You never know...

CL-
Ack! That's another fear of mine, getting robbed and/or getting the house broken into while I'm home. Creepy.

Regarding the closet door, I'm kinda fickle about whether or not it's closed. Sometimes it doesn't bother me that it's open ajar. Then sometimes I must close it.

Lol! And I totally know what you mean about the Monster Snorkel™! I need to invest in one of those!

Sunday, February 06, 2005 3:20:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.