Friday, February 25, 2005

Introducing Mister Bitterworth

Recently, I jokingly made the comment in a reply to one of my blog entries: "If I only had my own column." Referring to, my own advice-to-the-lovelorn column. Well, one of my readers commented that they thought it would be interesting to see me try my hand at it. So, I thought "Why the heck not?", but only after some apprehension.

I've noticed that I sometimes tend to avoid some topics on my blog or edit how I word things, in fear that some of the people who enjoy my blog (and whose friendship I enjoy), might be offended and no longer wish to be my "friend." I don't do it often, but I have caught myself doing it. I don't know why, 'cause I sure don't do it in real life.

With that said, I HAVE decided to give the column a try, BUT I must preface it by saying that I'll be responding to any/all letters as I would if asked my opinion in real life. I'm hoping for the best, but I also can't tiptoe around everyone's feelings/opinions/mores. Any response I give is just MY opinion, so I hope that if someone writes in, they'll keep that in mind.

Though the author of the original column that started this whole thing, is strictly an advice-to-the-lovelorn-type, I'm going to broaden that horizon and be more along the lines of Dear Abby or Dear Harriett, but with a more cynical (I like to think of it as "realistic") approach. Thus my new pen-name: Mister Bitterworth. I can't guarantee I'll be completely sardonic every time, but I promise to try. Lol! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to deliberately give out bad advice. It just may not be as life-affirming as Abby might give.

I've created a logo, added a corresponding button to the left-hand column and I'm good to go. You're welcome to download it and put it on your page with a link to this blog entry, should you choose to. I would've made the button on my page link to sending an e-mail somehow, but me no smart.

I have a sinking feeling one of three things will come of this: [1] Like some of my past appeals at audience participation, absolutely nothing. At which point I'll shrug and go "fugeddah 'bout it." [2] I'll irrevocably offend someone I like, or [3] I'll get lots of crank letters. Ah, but if you don't try, you'll never know. Oui? Oui. (heh...I said wee wee)

So, feel free to write in. All names shall remain anonymous. If I get enough (any) letters, I'll do my best to respond to at least one a week. E-mail me at: KirkkitschBlog@aol.com. Be sure and put "Dear Mister Bitterworth" or something similar as the subject.

2 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Good God Kirk, I'm so proud of you! I wish I had lots of problems just so I could ask your advice on them. But I promise I will soon, just give me some time to come up with a juicy question. Love the logo! :)

Friday, February 25, 2005 3:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Gatochy-
Wheeee! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm glad you like the logo. It's one of the few things I was remotely good at in my graphic design classes.

Here's hoping the letters will start coming in!

Terri-
How right you are! I love cranky people! If I can somehow use my crankiness for good and not evil, I will have fulfilled my destiny. ;)

Thursday, March 03, 2005 7:22:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.