Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Cinema Obscura

As you know, I love movies. Well, today I am going to introduce you to some of my favorite obscure movies. The up side to having no life is that I have plenty of time to experiment with movies I may have not seen otherwise. Remember, just because you haven't heard of it or because it was unsuccessful at the theater and/or there are no "big stars" in it, doesn't mean it's not a good movie. There are plenty of dusty cinematic gems in your local video store if you only take the time to look AND know what to look for. I hope you'll check one of these out and perhaps discover a new favorite of your own in the process.

Fire With Fire. 1986
Synopsis: A young woman (Virginia Madsen) from a Catholic school and a young man (Craig Sheffer) from a nearby prison camp fall in love and must runaway together to escape the law, the church and their parents.
Comments: This is one of my favorite 80's movies. It's like Footloose meets Heaven Help Us meets Romeo & Juliet. This is the movie that turned me on to the beautiful Virginia Madsen.

Dangerously Close. 1986
Synopsis: A group of vigilante honor students that call themselves "The Sentinels" take their self-appointed enforcement policies too far when they become involved in a series of deaths among lower-income students at Vista Verde high school.
Comments: You MUST rent this movie. Especially if you are a lover of 80's teen movies. I missed it when it came out in the 80's, but when I saw it back in the early 90's for the first time, it was like a little time machine surprise package. John Stockwell looks hot (as he did in all his 80's movies), as did the underrated Carey Lowell (she's married to Richard Gere... lucky bitch).

Heart of Midnight. 1989
Synopsis: Carol (Jennifer Jason Leigh) inherits a night club from her weird uncle. She moves into the place, only to find out just how weird her uncle really was.
Comments: I remember renting this back in the late 80's and thinking how beautiful it was. It was so surreal, creepy and just downright different. I'd describe it as an S&M Salvador Dali film on acid. Check it out.

The Reflecting Skin. 1990
Synopsis: A young boy tries to cope with rural life circa 1950's and his fantasies become a way to interpret events. After his father tells him stories of vampires, he becomes convinced that the widow up the road is a vampire, and tries to find ways of discouraging his brother (Viggo Mortensen) from seeing her.
Comments: WEIRD but visually rich film. Rent it for the toad on the road scene, if for no other reason. Viggo looks HOT.

The Linguini incident. 1991
Synopsis: Lucy (Rosanna Arquette) is waiting tables at Dali's, a restaurant for the terminally trendy, while she tries to get her act together as an escape artist. Monte (David Bowie) is a suave bartender and pathological liar. For some mysterious reason, Monte is desperate to marry someone by Friday. And Cecil and Dante are the preposterously flamboyant owners who seem to have a stake in Monte's past and Lucy's future.
Comments: There are so many things I love about this movie, I just can't say enough good things. It cracked me up and I instantly fell in love with the characters.

Blood & Concrete. 1991
Synopsis: The sole supplier of the wonder drug Libido is murdered in his Hollywood Hills home, and L.A.'s rich and ruthless embark on a frenzied search for their new love drug connection (Jennifer Beals, Billy Zane, Darren McGavin, James LeGros).
Comments: Billy Zane looks fuckin' H-O-T in this movie. If you're a fan of unconventional, quirky movies, you'll love this one. Think neo noir. Great soundtrack, too.

If Lucy Fell. 1996
Synopsis: Joe (Eric Schaeffer) and Lucy (Sarah Jessica Parker) are roommates and best friends. Lucy, whose love life is embarrassingly dull, convinces Joe, who is infatuated with a neighbor he's never met, that if they don't have stable romances within a month, they must jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.
Comments: This is one of my favorite movies. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I just loved everything about it. It was also the first time I'd ever seen/heard of Eric Schaeffer who played one of the main characters as well as directed the film. You may look at him and think to yourself "Huh? I don't get it." I can't explain it. I find his personality and face very appealing. A really fun movie about the pitfalls of dating and life after 30.

[Other Favorites]
'Night Mother. 1986
Slam Dance. 1987
Spirit of the Beehive. 1973
The Locusts. 1997
Fall. 1997

0 Comments:

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.